Sony acquires 'Destiny' game studio Bungie in $3.6 billion deal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Great news. Bungie benefits and gamers benefit.

Bungie is an insanely great developer these days. Perhaps the single best house on the market.

Great buy. 
    Uh... they literally have one game currently, Destiny 2. I must assume you're a huge Destiny 2 fan, otherwise you'd have zero reason to say this. They're most certainly not the "single best house on the market" — that's insane.
    Well you can argue whether or not they are the "best house on the market" but they did create a title that has become synonymous with content that is more important than the system with "the Halo effect" and then, as you mention did go on to have lightning strike again with Destiny 2 being the biggest MMO of all time after WoW and the second biggest selling FPS shooter of all time.  Making this a pretty decent platform to compete with whatever MS is doing with Activision/Blizzard at a tiny 5% of that purchase price.  This is only partly about buying Destiny, it's about buying pedigree and know how.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    crowley said:
    skingers said:
    danox said:
    Great news. Bungie benefits and gamers benefit.

Bungie is an insanely great developer these days. Perhaps the single best house on the market.

Great buy. 
    Hardly, nothing but crap will come out of it….The state of gaming is the same as Music, Movies, and TV most of it bad……game play has died, picking your kids allowance ie…the parents credit card is the only thing happening these days…..
    Really cannot agree with this.  Sony first party games like The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War have been some of the best games and story telling within games ever.  Bungie as part of the Sony stable is great news for them and gaming in general. 
    From reading more about this, it’s being framed as a technology purchase, that Sony want to invest big in “online, live service” games. That’s a very different prospect from the other first party games you mention, and not an area I’m interested in at all.  Could well be lucrative for Sony, but I don’t know that it’s good news for gaming.
    I do agree with you here.  The fact that they get one of the biggest ever MMO and FPS franchises of all time is gravy, very smart acquisition for Sony.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra