Apple tops 'most admired companies' list for 15th year in a row

Posted:
in General Discussion
"Fortune" magazine's survey of the most admired companies in the world, has again placed Apple in first position, ahead of Amazon, and Microsoft.

As it did last year, and repeatedly before that, Apple's pole position is across all industries, not just technology. Fortune calls this the "all-stars" list, but notes that Apple also topped the computer industry ranking for the 12th time in the past 13 years.

According to the publication, Apple's position on this all-stars list reveals how even competitors see the firm.

"Our individual industry rankings show the standing each one holds among leaders in its own industry-- the folks who compete with it every day," said the company in a press release about the survey. "So while Apple's 15- year reign on the All-Stars list is truly remarkable, for example, its presence atop the computer industry ranking, for the 12th time in the past 13 years, suggests that it has simultaneously impressed an even tougher audience."

Behind Apple, Fortune ranks Amazon as the second most-admired company in the world, with Microsoft third. Pfizer is fourth, while Walt Disney is fifth.

Google, or rather its parent company Alphabet, is listed as seventh, ahead of financial firm Berkshire Hathaway.

Fortune partners with management consultant firm Korn Ferry to calculate the list. The publication reports that it starts the process by ranking firms by revenue, including the 1,000 largest US firms.

Ultimately some 3,740 executives, directors, and analysts are asked to select the 10 companies they admire the most.

Separately, Apple recently topped the list of all firms in the world, by being the first to reach a market cap of $3 trillion.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Facebook—what about Facebook?
    Obviously an error that Mark Z’s META company wasn’t mentioned, right?

oh, well—I overlooked the restricting qualifier: admired companies  ;)

MacsWithPenguinsBart Ybadmonkpscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple is certainly not admired in these forums, though. It’s all disappointment, dissatisfaction, and disgruntled criticism.
    jas99Bart Ybadmonkwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 4
    What the Fortune crowd admires is Apple's exec comp.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple is certainly not admired in these forums, though. It’s all disappointment, dissatisfaction, and disgruntled criticism.
    I suspect people call me a raging Apple supporter (except when it comes to human rights), but most of my arguments are about Apple's freedom to do what it wants, and I would use that same logic to be a supporter of Google, Microsoft, and most companies. My motivation is not to support Apple but to support freedom at both a human rights and corporate rights level.

I might even use my principles to support evil FaceBook, however I would also promote new laws that would make FaceBook's practices illegal. It's not a contradiction to support the current law as it stands but want the law to change.
    watto_cobra