Apple News distributes its first daily local newsletter

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has started to publish an Apple News local daily newsletter covering the San Francisco Bay Area, a concept that could spread to other areas in the future.

After providing enhanced local news in a number of markets by creating curated collections for specific areas since July 2020, Apple News has taken the next logical step, by making it more immediately available to residents.

The Bay Area daily local newsletter is a compilation of local news, politics, sports, dining, and other areas occurring or taking place in or near the region. TechCrunch reports the newsletter sources its articles from various publications that cover the area, including the San Francisco Chronicle, SF Gate, and The Oaklandside.

Like the existing enhanced local news coverage, the newsletter is curated by Apple News editors rather than algorithms. In theory, this should provide news more prescient to users in the area, and potentially increase the quality of items provided to newsletter subscribers.

While the daily local newsletter joins Apple News' existing offering, which handles national and international news, the Bay Area may not be the only one offered in the future.

Apple's local news functions in a total of 11 markets in the United States, including San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C, with each a likely candidate for its own newsletter. The list could set longer, with Apple telling the publication it plans to expand local news coverage to more cities.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Tucson being a “flyover” city, it clearly fails the curation criteria. The reality is we’re a secondary city. Oh well.

While we’re on the subject of curation, why the heck is Apple News pushing articles from news organizations that I have blocked? Why doesn’t it show me something from other non-blocked news outlets? I don’t claim to know the reason behind it. But it feels like Apple is pushing their preferred news outlets on its users and shows a blank news panel to remind us that we have blocked their preferred news. Whatever their reasoning behind it might be, I don’t like it at all. Please let me curate my top stories panels.
  • Reply 2 of 11
     In theory, this should provide news more prescient to users in the area
    Lol.

pre·scient | ˈpreSH(ē)ənt |
    adjective
    having or showing knowledge of events before they take placea prescient warning

StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    bonobob said:
     In theory, this should provide news more prescient to users in the area
    Lol.

pre·scient | ˈpreSH(ē)ənt |
    adjective
    having or showing knowledge of events before they take place: a prescient warning. 
    Wow, Apple is good!  “All the news before it’s fit to print.”
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    JWSC said:
    Tucson being a “flyover” city, it clearly fails the curation criteria. The reality is we’re a secondary city. Oh well.

While we’re on the subject of curation, why the heck is Apple News pushing articles from news organizations that I have blocked? Why doesn’t it show me something from other non-blocked news outlets? I don’t claim to know the reason behind it. But it feels like Apple is pushing their preferred news outlets on its users and shows a blank news panel to remind us that we have blocked their preferred news. Whatever their reasoning behind it might be, I don’t like it at all. Please let me curate my top stories panels.

Trying to stay in your closed loop silo?
    You're not alone.  Many are.  That's why our country is falling apart.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    JWSC said:

Staying in a closed loop silo doesn’t have to have the negative connotation you have assigned to it. I don’t pay attention to sports, so I’ve done what I can to indicate to Apple News that I’d prefer not to see sports related articles, they still pop up occasionally. Does that mean I’m living with my head in the sand and the country is falling apart now?  Same goes for “news” from People. I have no interest. How does my lack of interest in celebrity gossip affect the country as a whole?
    auxioJapheyJWSC
  • Reply 6 of 11
    JWSC said:

Staying in a closed loop silo doesn’t have to have the negative connotation you have assigned to it. I don’t pay attention to sports, so I’ve done what I can to indicate to Apple News that I’d prefer not to see sports related articles, they still pop up occasionally. Does that mean I’m living with my head in the sand and the country is falling apart now?  Same goes for “news” from People. I have no interest. How does my lack of interest in celebrity gossip affect the country as a whole?

Good points!   But wonder if they would apply to all who exclude certain news services?

Personally, I try to listen to all of them (from FauxNews to MSNBC to Global Times and al Jazeera -- plus of course actual news services like AP and Reuters) -- even knowing that some are pure propaganda pushing an agenda.  But, I want to know what propaganda they're pushing and what their agenda is...  And, every once in a while, I am enlightened with information I would not have gotten otherwise.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 7 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    JWSC said:

Good points!   But wonder if they would apply to all who exclude certain news services?

Personally, I try to listen to all of them (from FauxNews to MSNBC to Global Times and al Jazeera -- plus of course actual news services like AP and Reuters) -- even knowing that some are pure propaganda pushing an agenda.  But, I want to know what propaganda they're pushing and what their agenda is...  And, every once in a while, I am enlightened with information I would not have gotten otherwise.
    Seeing all perspectives on major events happening in the world is certainly good, but what @ihatescreennames was saying is that he's just not interested in articles on sports and celebrities, which is different since one could argue that entertainment isn't the same as news.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 8 of 11
    auxio said:
    JWSC said:

Seeing all perspectives on major events happening in the world is certainly good, but what @ihatescreennames was saying is that he's just not interested in articles on sports and celebrities, which is different since one could argue that entertainment isn't the same as news.

Yes, that was clear.   But, as I said, it was a good point, but I wonder if it applies to all -- including the person who originally said they were selective in which news services they wanted to see on their Apple News?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    auxio said:
    JWSC said:

Yes, that was clear.   But, as I said, it was a good point, but I wonder if it applies to all -- including the person who originally said they were selective in which news services they wanted to see on their Apple News?
    Yeah, I'd argue that being able to blacklist news services just because you don't agree with their perspective on world events isn't a good thing.  The caveat being that they are accredited news sources reporting well researched information with sources.  One should be able to filter purely opinion-based "news" services, entertainment (which has been blurred with news), and similar.  One other thing I'd also like to see is news services clearly reporting where their funding comes from so that their biases are understood.
    JWSC
  • Reply 10 of 11
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    auxio said:
    auxio said:
    JWSC said:

Yeah, I'd argue that being able to blacklist news services just because you don't agree with their perspective on world events isn't a good thing.  The caveat being that they are accredited news sources reporting well researched information with sources.  One should be able to filter purely opinion-based "news" services, entertainment (which has been blurred with news), and similar.  One other thing I'd also like to see is news services clearly reporting where their funding comes from so that their biases are understood.
    Yeah, things like Reuters ties to Pfizer don’t seem to get much space or airtime (I don’t block Reuters George). I just wish I could choose my top news organizations and subjects that I’m interested in instead of having it rammed down my throat by Apple EVERY SINGLE TIME I open the app. This has nothing to do with what certain people (hi George) who jump to conclusions might think.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    auxio said:
    auxio said:
    JWSC said:

That's all true and I agree.
    But I would add that it's becoming increasingly important to also monitor those biased propaganda sites because too often the agenda they are pushing - even though it may be bullshit - becomes the news.  The insurrection is an example.  Had our police, military, justice department and such been paying attention they may have been prepared for the assault.