Apple Watch Series 7 has a fast charging problem

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2022
One of the few new features that arrived with the Apple Watch Series 7 was faster charging. In the months since launch, it's clear that the Apple Watch Series 7 charges significantly quicker -- when you can find a fast charger combo that works.

Charging Apple Watch Series 7
Charging Apple Watch Series 7

After a rumored redesign was ditched, Apple Watch Series 7 launched with only a few notable features. The screen size increased marginally to 41mm and 45mm from 40mm and 44mm and it could now charge more quickly. Otherwise, it was largely the same as the prior generation.

The CPU was the same, it had the same health tracking abilities, and ran the same software as the Apple Watch Series 6. Faster charging was a much-welcomed change, but Apple's inability to release more fast chargers has caused frustration.

How much faster is Apple Watch fast charging?

Before we bemoan the lack of fast charge options, we must first look at what's needed to fast charge and how much faster it really is. So we set out to test it.

Faster charging is supported on the Apple Watch Series 7 when combined with a fast-charging puck. A fast-charging puck will not work when paired with Apple Watch Series 6, it will merely charge at the standard speed.

Fast-charging Apple Watch puck
Fast-charging Apple Watch puck

Apple includes one of these new USB-C-powered fast charge pucks in the box with the Apple Watch Series 7 though you need to provide a USB-C power brick. That power brick needs to be 20W or higher.

We drained our 45mm Apple Watch Series 7 to empty, before placing it on a standard Apple Watch puck. We then repeated this test on a puck that supported fast charging. We checked in every 30 minutes to see how they progressed.

After the first 30 minutes, the standard puck only delivered a 20 percent charge. The fast-charging puck got to 61 percent in that same 30 minutes. Nearly three times juice.

At the 60 minute mark, the standard puck was at 34 percent. The fast charge puck never got to 60 minutes because it had finished charging the watch after only 58.

Continuing with the standard puck, at 90 minutes the watch had charged 50 percent. it didn't finish charging until about two hours and ten minutes.

Apple says the Series 7 can charge 30 percent quicker, but our tests on the 45mm show this was a conservative estimate. It was more than twice as fast in charging our watch.

Apple also touts that the Series 7 can get enough power in only eight minutes to cover eight hours of sleep tracking.

Clearly, fast charging on Apple Watch Series 7 is significantly quicker than with standard chargers. With the battery only lasting a day, faster charging is wholly appreciated.

Available fast charging options

Unfortunately, the confusion with fast charging starts right out of the box. The new puck is nearly identical to its slow-charging brethren. There's no real visual differentiation between the two and customers need to rely on a charger's marketing materials to know whether or not it supports fast charging.

Belkin fast charge travel charger
Belkin fast charge travel charger

At the moment, users have only three fast chargers available. There is the puck that was bundled in the box, Belkin's portable fast charger, and Belkin's 3-in-1 charging pad with MagSafe.

Other than that, there are no other fast chargers available. We've even seen a few exceptional-looking chargers launch recently with 15W MagSafe charging but no fast charging for Apple Watch. Mophie has a new 3-in-1 travel charger and Hyper has a new 4-in-1 that both include standard Apple Watch charging speeds.

Belkin fast charge 3-in-1 charger
Belkin fast charge 3-in-1 charger

Manufacturers have told AppleInsider that it has been very difficult to source Apple's official Apple Watch pucks. This has led to them launching products without implementing the feature.

Apple won't embrace faster charging

It isn't just third parties that don't have fast chargers. Apple has two first-party Apple Watch chargers without the feature.

Both the pricey MagSafe Duo and the Magnetic Charging Dock from Apple were never updated.

Apple knew well in advance it was going to be launching faster charging with the Apple Watch Series 7. It had ample time to ready minor revisions to its existing products.

MagSafe Duo
MagSafe Duo still doesn't support fast charging Apple Watch

Many buy official Apple accessories because they believe they are getting the best compatibility with their gear. It's irresponsible for Apple to continue selling these flashy chargers for Apple Watch without supporting the latest standards it itself introduced.

What Apple can do, if it wants to

Apple can do two things to fix the issue here, assuming it sees a problem. It can either discontinue or update its existing products. It can also make the official fast charge puck more readily available to third-party accessory makers.

We don't know what Apple's holdup is in doing either of these two tasks. It could be tied to the global chip supply shortages or it could be providing priority access to select brands like Belkin.

And, it may just not want to. Regardless, it's Apple Watch users that are left in the cold as they try to get the most from the wearable.

Hopefully, Apple follows through and embraces its new faster charging on Apple Watch Series 7, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I use an older iPad charger (forgot exactly which one) and Apple's charging dock and can charge my S4 from the 10%-20% range to full in a couple of hours. Tops.
    My routine is to charge in the evening, before bed, and put it on at bedtime at 100% charge.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I was really enjoying reading this article about a piece of tech that I love wearing, Apple Watch Series 7 45mm. But then my enjoyment of the article came to a dead stop. The writer of this article says it is all but impossible to differentiate between the “standard” Apple Watch charging puck (USB-A) and the series 7 charging puck (USB-C)… The charging puck that comes with the series 7 is distinctly different, it has a silver colored trim around the outer edge! I doubt anyone would fail to differentiate between the slower charging plain white puck and the silver edged faster charging puck (they even feel distinctly different if handled with our eyes closed. Yet again someone publishes an article which contains a blaring mistake, I’m guessing that the articles printed on AI don’t go through a “proof checking” process because this isn’t the first article I’ve found to contain mistakes  (an occasional acknowledgment of my eagle eyes would be very welcome. But it can’t be nice having an article taken to task by someone who doesn’t claim to be a journalist, so the deafening silence doesn’t surprise me…).
    The silver colored trim does not indicate fast charging. Steel Apple Watches have always come with a more premium silver trim charging puck whereas the cheaper aluminum watches come with plastic charging pucks. I have a steel series 5 and it came with the steel charging puck.

It’s too bad you don’t proof check your own comments. If you’re going to sound like a total douche it’s nice to at least be right, just saying…
    ihatescreennamesJFC_PAlkruppmuthuk_vanalingamdarkvadermike1MplsPjbishop1039jony0
  • Reply 3 of 39
    “Continuing with the standard puck, at 90 minutes the watch had charged 50 percent. it didn't finish charging until about two hours and ten minutes.”

Is this really accurate? It would mean that the first 50% take 90 minutes and the last 50% only take another 40 minutes. If it was the other way round it would make more sense.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Faster charging was a much-welcomed change, but Apple's inability to release other versions *** of what? *** has caused frustration.

Huh?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    "Faster charging is supported on the Apple Watch Series 7 when combined with a fast-charging puck. A fast-charging puck will not work when paired with Apple Watch Series 6, it will merely charge at the standard speed."

Will not work? This seems like a really odd way to describe backward compatibility. Of course it works. 

"Unfortunately, the confusion with fast charging starts right out of the box. The new puck is nearly identical to its slow-charging brethren. There's no real visual differentiation between the two and customers need to rely on a charger's marketing materials to know whether or not it supports fast charging."

It's entirely possible that I am confused, but isn't the Apple puck with a USB-C connector the fast-charge puck, and the one with the USB-A connector the standard or 'slow' one? Isn't it pretty easy to sort out by doing a visual inspection of not just the puck, but also the other end?

"It isn't just third parties that don't have fast chargers. Apple has two first-party Apple Watch chargers without the feature. Both the pricey MagSafe Duo and the Magnetic Charging Dock from Apple were never updated. Apple knew well in advance it was going to be launching faster charging with the Apple Watch Series 7. It had ample time to ready minor revisions to its existing products.

Many buy official Apple accessories because they believe they are getting the best compatibility with their gear. It's irresponsible for Apple to continue selling these flashy chargers for Apple Watch without supporting the latest standards it itself introduced. ... 
    Apple can do two things to fix the issue here, assuming it sees a problem. It can either discontinue or update its existing products."

I agree it would be good if the two other watch charger accessories were already upgraded to the fast-charging standard. I'm just not sure that amount to being irresponsible. The specs are on the box, so buyers can figure out what they're getting before they buy them. Apple also has a pretty generous return policy for anyone who gets it home before they realize it's not a fast-charging device. Hopefully they'll update these two devices soon. It seems a bit drastic to think they should discontinue them until they do. There are a lot of Apple Watch owners who don't have a series 7 who still might like one of those two chargers, and the fast feature would be irrelevant for them anyway. As to why Apple hasn't upgraded those two charging devices yet, who knows? They've never been in the habit of offering explainers about what features their current products don't have. 
    bc2009MrBunsidescstrrf
  • Reply 6 of 39
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    jabohn said:
    Faster charging was a much-welcomed change, but Apple's inability to release other versions *** of what? *** has caused frustration.

Huh?
    Yeah. I assumed that was an editorial kick-back that was supposed to be clarified before publication…
  • Reply 7 of 39
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    That 58 minutes is pretty consistent with my charging experiences too. It’s easily my favorite upgrade of the last 2 models. 

And for anyone that cares, Belkin is about to update their 3 in 1 MagSafe Stand to support Apple Watch fast charging, according to their website. Personally, I got sick of waiting for it and ended up just getting the 2 in 1 Stand last month. Maybe I’ll exchange for the 3 in 1 if it also brings MagSafe to the AirPods pad. 
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    I was really enjoying reading this article about a piece of tech that I love wearing, Apple Watch Series 7 45mm. But then my enjoyment of the article came to a dead stop. The writer of this article says it is all but impossible to differentiate between the “standard” Apple Watch charging puck (USB-A) and the series 7 charging puck (USB-C)… The charging puck that comes with the series 7 is distinctly different, it has a silver colored trim around the outer edge! I doubt anyone would fail to differentiate between the slower charging plain white puck and the silver edged faster charging puck (they even feel distinctly different if handled with our eyes closed. Yet again someone publishes an article which contains a blaring mistake, I’m guessing that the articles printed on AI don’t go through a “proof checking” process because this isn’t the first article I’ve found to contain mistakes  (an occasional acknowledgment of my eagle eyes would be very welcome. But it can’t be nice having an article taken to task by someone who doesn’t claim to be a journalist, so the deafening silence doesn’t surprise me…).
    Hey FjordCruiser! So this will surely depend, it certainly isn't a mistake. If you had the aluminum Apple Watch, the charger was plastic. The stainless steel, titanium, and Edition models all shipped with a stainless steel charging puck. So the difference is extremely minimal. Check out these images below. Can you tell which is which? One is the image of the slow stainless steel puck while the other is Apple's image of the new fast charge puck.

The difference is one of them has a more matte finish while the other is glossier. It is easier to tell in person versus the images online, but the difference is super subtle.

On top of that, it isn't just Apple's chargers. If you look at Belkin's Fast Charge module can you differentiate that from any other third-party Apple Watch module that charges more slowly? Talking specifically about the puck itself. They are identical.

These are just some of the issues I'm talking about. I hope that didn't entirely ruin the article for you, but it certainly wasn't an error.
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPscstrrf
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    AppleZulu said:
    "Faster charging is supported on the Apple Watch Series 7 when combined with a fast-charging puck. A fast-charging puck will not work when paired with Apple Watch Series 6, it will merely charge at the standard speed."

Will not work? This seems like a really odd way to describe backward compatibility. Of course it works. 

"Unfortunately, the confusion with fast charging starts right out of the box. The new puck is nearly identical to its slow-charging brethren. There's no real visual differentiation between the two and customers need to rely on a charger's marketing materials to know whether or not it supports fast charging."

It's entirely possible that I am confused, but isn't the Apple puck with a USB-C connector the fast-charge puck, and the one with the USB-A connector the standard or 'slow' one? Isn't it pretty easy to sort out by doing a visual inspection of not just the puck, but also the other end?

"It isn't just third parties that don't have fast chargers. Apple has two first-party Apple Watch chargers without the feature. Both the pricey MagSafe Duo and the Magnetic Charging Dock from Apple were never updated. Apple knew well in advance it was going to be launching faster charging with the Apple Watch Series 7. It had ample time to ready minor revisions to its existing products.

Many buy official Apple accessories because they believe they are getting the best compatibility with their gear. It's irresponsible for Apple to continue selling these flashy chargers for Apple Watch without supporting the latest standards it itself introduced. ... 
    Apple can do two things to fix the issue here, assuming it sees a problem. It can either discontinue or update its existing products."

I agree it would be good if the two other watch charger accessories were already upgraded to the fast-charging standard. I'm just not sure that amount to being irresponsible. The specs are on the box, so buyers can figure out what they're getting before they buy them. Apple also has a pretty generous return policy for anyone who gets it home before they realize it's not a fast-charging device. Hopefully they'll update these two devices soon. It seems a bit drastic to think they should discontinue them until they do. There are a lot of Apple Watch owners who don't have a series 7 who still might like one of those two chargers, and the fast feature would be irrelevant for them anyway. As to why Apple hasn't upgraded those two charging devices yet, who knows? They've never been in the habit of offering explainers about what features their current products don't have. 
    There has been a USB-C puck for a couple years, since Apple started using it on the Macs. It just wasn't included in the box. I've bought them to use with my Mac and iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    My series 7 charges super fast.  I love the feature. 

This article I so poorly written I don’t even know where to start so I’m just going to leave this one snippet of contradiction:

” A fast-charging puck will not work when paired with Apple Watch Series 6, it will merely charge at the standard speed.”

”will not work” apparently means that the puck does not magically make the Series 6 support fast charging.   Because the next thing you read is that it does work and charges the series 6 at its normal charging speed.    The only reason to word it that way is to try to get a lazy reader invested in your other poor arguments. 

This article seems to be making a major issue out of a minor thing.  Of all thing the global chip shortage is affecting, Apple Watch Series 7 fast charging pucks seems like a pretty minor deal.  
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Distinguishing the charging puck is easy—a real challenge is reading the nano font on  power adapters 👀😳

MplsP
  • Reply 12 of 39
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    AllOFUS said:
    What is the author crying about?? A second fast charging puck option for Apple Watch 7? Typical first world problems. 
    But crying about someone crying about something is fine though?
    edited February 2022 mike1MrBunsideMplsPurahara
  • Reply 13 of 39
    jcohjcoh Posts: 23member
    Fast charging is nice for those times when you wake up and notice you forgot to charge your watch before you went to bed,   However, fast charging all the time has shown to reduce the total life of the battery.  In other words if you don’t need the quick juice then it’s actually better to use a standard charge.  This goes for all lithium batteries.   Fast charge = more heat and more heat = bad for battery.  Regardless of brand or device. This is just how batteries (currently) work.   It my belief that apple doesn’t really embrace fast charging like other companies because they know that repeated fast charging will lead to accelerated battery degradation.   You notice that IPhones “fast charge” is not nearly as fast is Samsung.  It’s by design not because Apple lacks the ability.   Personally I could care less about fast charging as a feature.    But that’s me 
    mike1neilm
  • Reply 14 of 39
    AppleZulu said:

There has been a USB-C puck for a couple years, since Apple started using it on the Macs. It just wasn't included in the box. I've bought them to use with my Mac and iPad.
    Still not clear what you’re suggesting. Are you saying there are older USB-C pucks that won’t deliver a fast charge to a series 7, even when plugged into a charger of sufficient power?

If you go to the Apple online store, the USB-C pucks are listed as fast charging and the USB-A pucks are not, which makes sense, since USB-A can’t deliver the wattage needed for a fast charge. This is the source of my suggestion that differentiation via physical inspection should be easy - just look at the other end. 
  • Reply 15 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The silver colored trim does not indicate fast charging. Steel Apple Watches have always come with a more premium silver trim charging puck whereas the cheaper aluminum watches come with plastic charging pucks. I have a steel series 5 and it came with the steel charging puck.

It’s too bad you don’t proof check your own comments. If you’re going to sound like a total douche it’s nice to at least be right, just saying…

Now the regular, aluminum version also comes with the silver trim.  So, comparing like-to-like, the puck did change from his series 4.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcoh said:
    Fast charging is nice for those times when you wake up and notice you forgot to charge your watch before you went to bed,   However, fast charging all the time has shown to reduce the total life of the battery.  In other words if you don’t need the quick juice then it’s actually better to use a standard charge.  This goes for all lithium batteries.   Fast charge = more heat and more heat = bad for battery.  Regardless of brand or device. This is just how batteries (currently) work.   It my belief that apple doesn’t really embrace fast charging like other companies because they know that repeated fast charging will lead to accelerated battery degradation.   You notice that IPhones “fast charge” is not nearly as fast is Samsung.  It’s by design not because Apple lacks the ability.   Personally I could care less about fast charging as a feature.    But that’s me 

I NEVER forget!
    But not because I'm so conscientious but only because I wear my watch all night -- both for sleep tracking and for safety related to its Fall Detection and LTE abilities.

It's one of the big reasons for me to upgrade to a series 7 -- to reduce the amount of time its on the charger in the morning.   The only thing stopping me is that my Series 4 is working so well (except on the treadmill with Fitness+).

• Reply 17 of 39
    Hey FjordCruiser! So this will surely depend, it certainly isn't a mistake. If you had the aluminum Apple Watch, the charger was plastic. The stainless steel, titanium, and Edition models all shipped with a stainless steel charging puck. So the difference is extremely minimal. Check out these images below. Can you tell which is which? One is the image of the slow stainless steel puck while the other is Apple's image of the new fast charge puck.

The difference is one of them has a more matte finish while the other is glossier. It is easier to tell in person versus the images online, but the difference is super subtle.

On top of that, it isn't just Apple's chargers. If you look at Belkin's Fast Charge module can you differentiate that from any other third-party Apple Watch module that charges more slowly? Talking specifically about the puck itself. They are identical.

These are just some of the issues I'm talking about. I hope that didn't entirely ruin the article for you, but it certainly wasn't an error.
    Please note that those are literally the same image file, so it would be surprising if they actually did look different. Still pretty sure the physical difference is on the other end, not shown in the image.

Also worth noting: search up teardown of AW charger pucks, and you'll discover that the PCB and electronics on the USB-A charger are located inside the puck, underneath the coils. On the USB-C fast charger, the electronics are instead located inside the USB-C plug, leaving only the coil and magnet inside the puck. This presumably moves the additional heat of the fast charger electronics away from the watch. 
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 18 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    AllOFUS said:
    What is the author crying about?? A second fast charging puck option for Apple Watch 7? Typical first world problems. 
    And what are you posting about? Clearly you don't care about any of this because this entire site is devoted to 'first world problems.' Maybe you'd best go to a site dedicated to treating malaria.
    GeorgeBMacurahara
  • Reply 19 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    AppleZulu said:

Please note that those are literally the same image file, so it would be surprising if they actually did look different. Still pretty sure the physical difference is on the other end, not shown in the image.
    I recently purchased an Apple Watch 7. There is zero documentation included in the box on the charger and the charger itself has no markings on it what so ever. They also make no mention that you need a 20W USB C adapter to make use of the fast charging capabilities.

Go to Apple's web site and this is what you find: 2 nearly identical charging pucks with nearly identical pictures and the same price. 
        Apple Watch Magnetic Fast Charger to USB-C Cable (1 m) New 
        Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable (1 m)

edited February 2022 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 39
    MplsP said:
    AppleZulu said:

I recently purchased an Apple Watch 7. There is zero documentation included in the box on the charger and the charger itself has no markings on it what so ever. They also make no mention that you need a 20W USB C adapter to make use of the fast charging capabilities.

Go to Apple's web site and this is what you find: 2 nearly identical charging pucks with nearly identical pictures and the same price. 
        Apple Watch Magnetic Fast Charger to USB-C Cable (1 m) New 
        Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable (1 m)

Seriously, I am struggling to understand what's so hard about looking at the other end of the cable. If it's USB-A, it's not a fast charger.

Also, there is no need to mention that "you need a 20W USB C adapter to make use of the fast charging capabilities." Apple does not sell any USB-C adapters that are less than 20-watts. A search on Amazon also did not turn up any USB-C adapters that were less than 20-watts. Maybe such a thing exists somewhere, but it appears that it would be hard to find.
    edited February 2022