Battle of the super yachts: Jeff Bezos' Y721 versus Steve Jobs' 'Venus'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    What a waste of money for something they probably won’t even use that much. It’s nothing more than the ego on display. But, they still try to tell us little people how to live. So obnoxious and hypocritical!
    So you've discussed with Bezos how he intends to use it and how often?
  • Reply 22 of 40
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    No feeding the poor from these guys. I’m all for having the super-duper-puper yachts but how about throwing more than a bone to the masses. For shits and grins, Bozos, er I mean Bezos could easily give a cool $500K to every man, woman, and child living below the poverty line and he’d still have deep pockets. 
    One of my issues with Amazon is that it seems their delivery people work all hours of the day and evening and I see them on weekends and worst of all on holidays also.  It’s outrageous.  The idea of a weekend is now a quaint notion from the 20th century.  It’s go go go go go now.  Everything has to be 365 24/7 now with things. I am tired of hearing about Amazon and bezos and do what I can to not support a company that runs things like that.
    Most of the delivery people at Amazon are complete boobs who have trouble matching the house number on the box with the number on the door.  About the only other job they might be able to perform is wrapping twist ties on the end of the Wonder Bread bags. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 23 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    M68000 said:
    Skeptical said:
    No feeding the poor from these guys. I’m all for having the super-duper-puper yachts but how about throwing more than a bone to the masses. For shits and grins, Bozos, er I mean Bezos could easily give a cool $500K to every man, woman, and child living below the poverty line and he’d still have deep pockets. 
    One of my issues with Amazon is that it seems their delivery people work all hours of the day and evening and I see them on weekends and worst of all on holidays also.  It’s outrageous.  The idea of a weekend is now a quaint notion from the 20th century.  It’s go go go go go now.  Everything has to be 365 24/7 now with things. I am tired of hearing about Amazon and bezos and do what I can to not support a company that runs things like that.

I remember when all stores closed on Sundays not just Chick Filet.  Now they don't even close on Holidays.
    Things move on.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    bsnjon said:
    To those criticizing Bezos for not contributing the money it cost to build the ship to others:
    Bezos has helped to get me through the Pandemic.  His company is one of the few that has been delivering food and necessities to people since it began.  It's one of the many failings of the U.S. government that it did not promote and support home delivery of food and necessities.   But Amazon picked up the slack.

I am fine with the fact that Bezos made money while helping others.   That's why capitalism exists.  The only reason.
    “Amazon” didn’t pick up the slack— an army of exploited workers - many who are not even employees of the company did. It is easy to promise services when you don’t have to pay for the actual labour involved. 

So much “innovation” in today’s economy is based on that ancient principle- “you bake the bread, and I’ll eat it.”

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from with that.
    Are you saying that Amazon doesn't pay their workers?  Or maybe that they don't pay them enough?

But, in either case, without Amazon I would have been forced to risk becoming infected by having to shop for things they delivered.  So yeh, it was Amazon -- and its employees -- and I am grateful.
    JWSC
  • Reply 25 of 40
    13485 said:
    What a waste of money for something they probably won’t even use that much. It’s nothing more than the ego on display. But, they still try to tell us little people how to live. So obnoxious and hypocritical!
    So what if they're little used and cost them some pocket change, not your boat.

Oh, I must have missed that lecture on How to Live for Little People.

Yeh, I just relayed to my grandson advice from Jeff Bezos who said (and I paraphrase):  "Do what you're good at.  You'll do more of it, enjoy it more and be better at it."

I would listen to advice from these guys any day and be grateful for it -- they know how to do it.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    13485 said:

So what? Maybe you should open your eyes and ears a bit wider. Now Bozos is trying to get the little people to dismantle a bridge so he can sail the EgoYacht out to sea. It never ends. All the poor people that could be helped with that cash — that’s “so what”. 

Those "little people" knew that a portion of the bridge would need to be dismantled when they built the boat that they knew was too tall to go under the bridge blocking the only exit to the sea from their shipyard..  But they figured the jobs they got from that project were well worth it.  But they also knew that Bezos would have it all put back together in a few weeks.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Skeptical said:
    Here is the real question: How much have you donated to the charities of your choosing in the last year?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Venus bears the typical Steve Jobs design style, it's like a USS littoral combat ship. I'm sure there was lots of back-and-forth arguments in which Steve asked for changes and the engineers said it was impossible. 
    I would have never told Steve it was impossible. I would have replied, “Absolutely we can do that. And it will increase the price buy X amount.” It’s not like it’s a mass production product where we have to meet a price target.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Skeptical said:
    Let’s not forget that expensive items are sold at high margins and that revenue and profit goes into many peoples pockets. While garishly expensive and opulent in many people’s eyes, sales of these items are feeding quite a lot of people. The more lavish and expensive things you can make for the wealthy, the more their wealth is distributed. It’s a win-win for all.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    dewme said:
    I’m thoroughly fascinated with the architecture and technology of these vessels. Yeah, they cost a massive amount to build, staff, and maintain and their owners probably spent a tiny amount of time onboard, but every one of the owners identified in the article can afford to own then even after they’ve contributed substantial sums to charities and causes that serve society as a whole. Is it really any different than all the old rich guys who buy exotic cars? You’d think that Chevy could double Corvette sales by finding a way to cleverly incorporate walker storage into the design. 

The Jobs yacht is rather odd looking in my opinion, lacking any traditional graceful lines and looking more like a barge or scow, but it’s still a spectacular build. The one thing that is curious about the Jobs barge is that it looks like it has a barbette for a gun mount on the forecastle. I wonder, where’s the gun and what caliber and firing rate does it have? Maybe they’re waiting to see how Bezos armors his super yacht before they decide? Hmm.
    As was pointed out by the top poster, the Jobs yacht does look a bit like a littoral combat ship, with an Apple Store roof on it. 😆
  • Reply 31 of 40
    The main issue I had on ‘Venus’ was that my phone was flat the whole time since there are neatly inset 30-pin Dock connectors all around the ship, which must’ve seen like a great idea at the time. 
  • Reply 32 of 40
    JWSC said:
    Skeptical said:
    Let’s not forget that expensive items are sold at high margins and that revenue and profit goes into many peoples pockets. While garishly expensive and opulent in many people’s eyes, sales of these items are feeding quite a lot of people. The more lavish and expensive things you can make for the wealthy, the more their wealth is distributed. It’s a win-win for all.

Trickle Down fails because the rich ones spend only a tiny fraction of their income -- as opposed to the poor and lower middle classes who have to spend all that they make just to survive.

IF those ultra rich used their money to build productive capacity (like the industrial barons of a century ago did) it might be different.  But now it mostly just shifts around in the stock market and, while it builds and builds, it  seldom trickles down.

While I do not begrudge them their riches, I also recognize (as many of them also do) that their riches do little to contribute to making the world a better place.  It's why we have Carnegie Libraries:  Andrew wanted to provide a staircase to lift up those who couldn't lift themselves up.  And, its why Bezos is building sail boats and space ships:  conserving what we have while looking to the future of mankind.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Unsurprisingly Venus is beautiful, the other is the opposite (should have called it old-crone).
  • Reply 34 of 40
    crowley said:
    Skeptical said:
    Quite apart from practical and ethical considerations, your numbers don’t even come close to adding up.
    Not to mention that the mass liquidation of the assets that comprise his "wealth" would fairly rapidly and significantly decrease their value.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Skeptical said:
    As The Reverend Ike (a preacher who had seven Rolls Royces) said to Johnny Carson many years ago, “The best way to help the poor is to not become one of them.” Even Jesus Christ allegedly said, “the poor will always be with us”. 
  • Reply 36 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    Skeptical said:
    As The Reverend Ike (a preacher who had seven Rolls Royces) said to Johnny Carson many years ago, “The best way to help the poor is to not become one of them.” Even Jesus Christ allegedly said, “the poor will always be with us”. 
    Reverend Ike makes bollock-all sense.

And if you're going to quote Jesus, at least have the rigour to understand what Jesus was referring to:
    There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land.
    GeorgeBMacbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 37 of 40
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Where's a tsunami when you need one?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    13485 said:

So what? Maybe you should open your eyes and ears a bit wider. Now Bozos is trying to get the little people to dismantle a bridge so he can sail the EgoYacht out to sea. It never ends. All the poor people that could be helped with that cash — that’s “so what”. 
    Perhaps you didn't realize that that bridge has been dismantled many times in the past for exactly the same reasons for other boats for other owners/companies?   Oh wait, AI publishes a click-bait headline without including that little tidbit to draw out the jealous haters like you?

You may not like the excessiveness of people like Bezos and that fine.  Know that the building of this boat requires thousands of workers.  These workers get paid, support the economy, pay taxes, etc.  That boat will require hiring even more people to operate the boat, to maintain, and pay fees for everything from docking, registration, etc.  How's about stocking the boat with food from local businesses, etc?

Your hatred is misplaced.  Demand more from your government to do its duty to help their people, and stop telling others what to do with their money.  
    cg27
  • Reply 39 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    It's unfortunate that AI follows the herd and publishes a click-bait headline.

This bridge has been dismantled many times in the past for other boats build by that same company with no news headlines and twitterverse woke crowd having a hissy-fit.

People didn't seem to care about that bridge for prior boats.  I wonder why?  Oh yeah, the ONLY reason people are chiming their 2-cent whines is because Bezos' name is on this particular boat.  

hypocrites.
    cg27
  • Reply 40 of 40
    sflocal said:
    13485 said:

Perhaps you didn't realize that that bridge has been dismantled many times in the past for exactly the same reasons for other boats for other owners/companies?   Oh wait, AI publishes a click-bait headline without including that little tidbit to draw out the jealous haters like you?

And perhaps you didn't see the part of the article that said, "According to Dutch News.nl, the bridge was renovated in 2017 and, at the time, city officials promised that the bridge would not be disassembled again."

While I totally agree that depending on 
    politicians' promises is so foolish as to border on insane, but one should also call them out on it when they do not keep them.