Apple targeting date near March 8 for iPhone SE, iPad Air spring keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is reportedly considering a date on or near March 8 to hold a spring event for a new iPhone SE, an updated iPad, and potentially a new Mac.

Tim Cook at Apple Park
Tim Cook at Apple Park

The potential spring event date is not set in stone, but sources told Bloomberg that Apple is targeting a day around March 8 for its next virtual event.

However, the publication cautioned that production delays or other changes could force Apple to switch the date of the event. March 8 is a Tuesday, which is a day of the week that Apple historically holds new product launches.

During the event, Apple is largely expected to debut a new iPhone SE 3 and refreshed iPad Air. The iPhone is rumored to share a similar design to previous iPhone SE models, but will pack a faster A15 chipset and 5G connectivity. The iPad Air is also getting an A15 chip and 5G, Bloomberg reported.

Although the 2022 iPhone SE model will be a muted update, reports suggest that a more significant overhaul of the lower-cost iPhone could take place in 2024.

Bloomberg claims that Apple could also release a new Mac model with an Apple Silicon chip, though the publication did not add any additional detail. Apple is thought to be working on a new 27-inch iMac Pro device.

Additionally, the sources told the publication that Apple's iOS 15.4, which includes Face ID support for masks and Universal Control, could arrive in the first half of March.

If the March 8 date does pan out, Apple will likely send out media invites to the keynote about a week before.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    hurry up! my old SE is lingering..
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Mac mini PRO...Please!!

One can wish!
    gonklives
  • Reply 3 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Based on article, looks like unexciting event!!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    C'mon.. larger M series iMac with black borders!
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 5 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    So, the glitch I'm running up against is that I have refrained from upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus and my carrier, T-Mobile, is deprecating all non 5g phones, at least in my area, on June 22.

I really want to get an iPhone 14, since I have held out year after year for higher resolution imaging, and the only viable solution, is to switch over to WiFi phone for the interim. That isn't a big deal for me, for four months or so, since I'm not really requiring a mobile connection very often, but it should be a wake up call to T-Mobile users; you're next! 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    An M1 pro/Max Mini please, my patience for a more powerful desktop is extremely thin and my current set up is barely upto the job.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 7 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    mobird said:
    Mac mini PRO...Please!!

One can wish!
    gonklives said:
    An M1 pro/Max Mini please, my patience for a more powerful desktop is extremely thin and my current set up is barely upto the job.
    Mac mini with pro chips:
    base mini with 16GB/512GB = $1099
    with M1 Pro = $1399
    with M1 Max + 32GB = $2499

Current M1 Pro 14" MBP = $1999
    with M1 Max + 32Gb = $3099

For $600 more it includes portability and an XDR display. If Apple doesn't increase the mini to more than the fanless chips, the 14" MBP is just a more expensive version of what people want in a pro mini.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I have a 14" M1Max Pro with 64GB of ram, the 32 GPU cores and a 4TB SSD. A lot of the booting process is single processor and slow. Remember, the clock speed is the same in all three versions of the M1 which is 3.2Ghz. The elapsed time to the first screen is about the same on my M1 MacBook Air with 16GB ram and a 1TB Apple SSD as on the 14" MacBook Pro Max.

Activities like a Clam virus scan seem to use a single processor.

One needs a multi-threaded app to see the performance the loaded 14" or 16" MacBook Pro Max is capable of generating.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Doesn't sound as if anything being introduced is even worth a dog-and-pony show.  Just update the Apple site with lots of the words "updated" and "faster" and be done with it.  Less production costs = lower prices.  Wait..  Never mind.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 10 of 17
    ApplePoor said:
    I have a 14" M1Max Pro with 64GB of ram, the 32 GPU cores and a 4TB SSD. A lot of the booting process is single processor and slow. Remember, the clock speed is the same in all three versions of the M1 which is 3.2Ghz. The elapsed time to the first screen is about the same on my M1 MacBook Air with 16GB ram and a 1TB Apple SSD as on the 14" MacBook Pro Max.

One needs a multi-threaded app to see the performance the loaded 14" or 16" MacBook Pro Max is capable of generating.
    The main difference in speed is the SSD.   The 512GB SSD and the >2TB SSD's have much faster read rates.  Now, that doesn't always translate into faster boot times (not in Windows anyways) but I would think that your 4TB SSD Mac would boot faster than a 512GB MacBook just based on SSD performance alone!
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Love to see the desktop chips clocked at 4 GHZ at least. 
  • Reply 12 of 17
    tmay said:
    So, the glitch I'm running up against is that I have refrained from upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus and my carrier, T-Mobile, is deprecating all non 5g phones, at least in my area, on June 22.

I really want to get an iPhone 14, since I have held out year after year for higher resolution imaging, and the only viable solution, is to switch over to WiFi phone for the interim. That isn't a big deal for me, for four months or so, since I'm not really requiring a mobile connection very often, but it should be a wake up call to T-Mobile users; you're next! 
    Not sure what you're referring to, but there's no way they're requiring 5G devices anywhere right now.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    ApplePoor said:

As someone who reboots maybe every couple weeks, who the hell cares? It's still far faster than my i9 Intel MBP booting up.

Also, who cares how fast a virus scanner (lol) takes? You run that crap in the background or at night, if you have to (you usually don't!).

The target market for the M1 Pro/Max are creative artists who all benefit from higher GPU counts and multicore performance, and developers who are also benefiting from multicore compiling, and everyone benefits from the ~7GB/s storage that is far faster than previous models. I have a hard time taking criticisms such as yours seriously when your metrics are *checks notes* boot time and anti-virus scanning.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 14 of 17
    It's delusional to think Apple will have an event for 2 minor products. Unless there are major releases, this is not happening. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    The observation being made was that all of the MacOS M1 chips have the same clock speed of 3.2Ghz. In the past with Intel, they were constantly attempting to increase performance through ever increasing clock speed. Apple chose more cores but both the M1 Pro and M1 Max have the same 10 cores except for the least expensive model that has 8 cores like in the MacBook Air.

There are lots of single core limited apps (some very basic) that will run at the same speed on any M1 chip to date. Spending significant funds gives one access to multithread programs and even more money gets software that can use all of the GPU power.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    tobian said:
    hurry up! my old SE is lingering..
    I preferred the SE30 :p  .  Boy that was a little workhorse of a Mac.  People were using them as servers clear up to the end of Classic.  Yes I know you actually meant the phone but still.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 17 of 17
    As a small ISP, I did use several SE30 Macs as dedicated servers for specific clients . That was the most economical solution for a dedicated server that was self contained.