Entry-level 'M2' MacBook Pro might not have ProMotion display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2022
The next entry-level MacBook Pro model will have an M2 chip, a report claims, but the replacement of the existing 13-inch MacBook Pro allegedly won't gain the same ProMotion display as its 14-inch and 16-inch counterparts.

Apple's introduction of Apple Silicon-based 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro models introduced a refreshed design that eliminated the Touch Bar, while also incorporating a new display with ProMotion and miniLED backlighting. It is claimed that the next update of the value end in the MacBook Pro catalog won't have the same set of features as its larger counterparts.

It is expected by Mark Gurman in his "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg that the new entry-level MacBook Pro will be updated to match the high-end models by "losing the Touch Bar."

However, the "key differentiators" for the lower-priced model are said to be "lesser displays, processors, and storage, and no ProMotion nor mini LED." Sticking to a screen backlit with traditional LEDs instead of mini LED could be a cost-saving measure, but one that could reduce the contrast, color representation, and overall brightness compared to the 14-inch model.

The processor comment could be a suggestion that Apple will be deploying the same tactic as it did for the M1 generation of chips, with the low-end MacBook Pro gaining the initial M2 chip release, while the later updates of the premium models would have updated variations, the equivalent of the M1 Pro and M1 Max.

Apple already sells the 13-inch MacBook Pro with lower capacity options, between 256GB of SSD storage and 2TB, whereas the others start at 512GB and rise to 8TB. There's also a memory difference, with the 13-inch offered in 8GB and 16GB variants while the other two go from 16GB to 64GB.

Previous rumors point to the entry-level model being a 14-inch version, due to launch in the second half of 2022. A design update to bring it in line with the higher-up models is expected, complete with more port options.

The entry-level MacBook Pro probably isn't the only M2-equipped device in development, with Gurman stating there are others in the pipeline, including an updated 24-inch iMac, Mac mini, and MacBook Air.

Gurman did double down on claims a special event will occur on March 8 in the newsletter, but it may only be the venue for the launch of one or two Mac updates, if any. Most of the Mac-related changes are anticipated to surface later in 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Apple needs to prioritize bringing down lead times over multiplying SKUs. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    It only stands to reason. The only reason to keep the 13 around after the 14 was rolled out is for a “budget” option. It’s not going to have feature parity…
  • Reply 3 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Entry level means entry level pricing and lower internal specs but look wise, ports, display size, etc should be same as there counter part.
    edited February 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 25
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    It'll be fine if it doesn't have that stupid notch.
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    wood1208 said:
    Entry level means entry level pricing and lower internal specs but look wise, ports, display size, etc should be same as there counter part.
    There needs to be a capable laptop for non-“pros” who want to be able to use two non-powered TB external drives (doesn’t work on M1 MacBooks) along with a larger screen. I have the 13” and it’s small for my eyes. Even 14” would be small. Maybe Apple could make a 21” portable iMac with batteries. I could go for that. 

Jokes aside, not everyone needs or wants to pay for the M1 Pro or Max but we’d like a good laptop and iMac. Yes, my MBA blows my late 2015 iMac away but I’m not buying another entry level, port-compromised Mac. I can do without ProMotion if it drops cost a few hundred dollars allowing me to spend that money on storage. 
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    That is probably a good thing that it does not have miniLED and ProMotion.  Over on the other tech site, there is an article identifying a new issue with the 32" XDR display and the XDR displays in the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros in which they can exhibit dimming due to overheating.  Apple's new support doc says to quit any processor intensive apps, stop viewing HDR content, turn on your AC in the room with the Mac, or put the Mac to sleep until the display can cool down.  That is their solution for these displays that can overheat.  I would rather have an LCD that works, instead of a miniLED display that can dim down due to overheating.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    rob53 said:
    wood1208 said:
    There needs to be a capable laptop for non-“pros” who want to be able to use two non-powered TB external drives (doesn’t work on M1 MacBooks) along with a larger screen. I have the 13” and it’s small for my eyes. Even 14” would be small. Maybe Apple could make a 21” portable iMac with batteries. I could go for that. 

Jokes aside, not everyone needs or wants to pay for the M1 Pro or Max but we’d like a good laptop and iMac. Yes, my MBA blows my late 2015 iMac away but I’m not buying another entry level, port-compromised Mac. I can do without ProMotion if it drops cost a few hundred dollars allowing me to spend that money on storage. 
    You probably should have researched what you were buying.  The port limitation of the M1 Macs has been well known since day one.  A battery operated iMac with a large display is something that no one wants.  Buy a larger external drive instead of using two external drives, or buy more internal storage, at Apple's inflated prices.  Or use an Intel Mac without the port limitations and use large external displays if you have vision issues.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Considering how good the current MBA is, and that the new one promises to be significantly better and packaged in a slick, first-ever redesign of the MBA since it launched, I question that there's a large enough market of people who'll need more than the new MBA but less than the MBA Pro. If Apple were planning an entry level MBP that's priced at or anywhere near where the current 13" model sits, they'd have to cut A LOT more than the Pro Motion display from the current M-series MBPs. There's no way that cutting ProMotion alone is going drop the price per unit by hundreds of dollars. And honestly, how "pro" are you really if dropping $2-3K on your primary tool for earning money is too much? 
    edited February 2022 MisterKit
  • Reply 9 of 25
    It’s crazy to expect the entry level MacBook Pro to have the pro motion display - it only makes sense for the MacBook Pro Pro Plus.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    They should just call it the all-new “MacBook.”

The “Air” title hadn’t been warranted for a while. 

but 
  • Reply 11 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Go back to having a regular MacBook line, then.  Calling it “pro” next to the others is both confusing and nonsensical.  So the MacBook Pro M1 Pro will be faster and more capable than the MacBook Pro M2.  The MacBook Pro M1 Max will be faster than the MacBook Pro M1 Pro.  Then we have the MacBook Air, which is currently M1 but maybe will be M2 or M1 Pro/Max.  As a longtime Mac user I had to really research the difference between the Pro and Max, as well as number of cores to see how relevant the difference would be for my usage.  I finally concluded “not very.”  I do sort of wish I went with a 16 inch screen as I had 15 inches for quite some time before that.  
  • Reply 12 of 25
    sdw2001 said:
    Go back to having a regular MacBook line, then.  Calling it “pro” next to the others is both confusing and nonsensical.  So the MacBook Pro M1 Pro will be faster and more capable than the MacBook Pro M2.  The MacBook Pro M1 Max will be faster than the MacBook Pro M1 Pro.  Then we have the MacBook Air, which is currently M1 but maybe will be M2 or M1 Pro/Max.  As a longtime Mac user I had to really research the difference between the Pro and Max, as well as number of cores to see how relevant the difference would be for my usage.  I finally concluded “not very.”  I do sort of wish I went with a 16 inch screen as I had 15 inches for quite some time before that.  
    I think this will be the case if this rumor is correct. Pro means the higher-end display. A lower-end display will mean the revival of the MacBook. The current M1 machine is a transitional machine, like the current Mini and Air, so it still has the Pro moniker, but that will end. 
  • Reply 13 of 25
    If is a Pro model, then all Pro should have the same features in it!  If one is crippled of primary features of other two Pro models, it should be called something else!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Apple. Get rid of the screen notched products, Please.  Now!  :) 

edited February 2022
  • Reply 15 of 25
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBook-Air-M1,MacBookPro-13-M1

Differences are very small. The pro has a bigger battery, somewhat better display, somewhat better speakers and microphones. I guess it also has a fan. 

Gone are the days of the 2x2 grid. That’s probably good — apple is a bigger company with more diverse customers. But still… I would hope to see more of a gap between models. 

• Reply 16 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    darkvader said:
    It'll be fine if it doesn't have that stupid notch.

digitol said:
    Apple. Get rid of the screen notched products, Please.  Now!  :) 

Just make the menu bar black and it disappears. If you really don’t want the extra screen space it gives you there’s a supposedly a setting that takes it away. 
    edited February 2022 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Most of this story is pretty much obvious. It's been clear for a while the the Touch Bar is dead and features like a promotion display are obvious cuts for an entry level machine.

my question is whether they'll have a 13" model at all. 13" is getting pretty small for laptops these days and with the smaller bezels the 14" is practically the same size as the intel 13" was. An entry level 14" MacBook would probably sell incredibly well. My guess is they won't do it because it would cannibalize the sales of the 14" MBP too much. 

Ports is the other question. having a single port crippled the old MacBook, and there are a lot of students (and others) for whom an HDMI port is needed for doing presentations. 
    tht
  • Reply 18 of 25
    samrodsamrod Posts: 60unconfirmed, member
    The difference between Apple's Pro and consumer laptops shouldn't be screen size. 

Apple needs 14" & 16" Pros with M Pro & Max chips, ProMotion, a full array of ports, and high end screens. The Pros must not sacrifice features or functionality for size and weight. 

Apple needs 13" & 15" Airs whose 2 TB ports support non-powered storage, no ProMotion, no high end screens. The Airs must be as thin and light as possible.

Basically, too many buy a MacBoo Pro solely because they need a larger screen.
    MplsP
  • Reply 19 of 25
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    sdw2001 said:

Just go back to model numbers.  It's easy to identify a PowerBook 520 from a 5300.  Apple's naming got stupid with the G3 and has only gotten worse since.
    edited February 2022 MplsP
  • Reply 20 of 25
    sdw2001 said:
    'pro' has been pretty meaningless in Apple products for a while. What makes an iPhone 'pro' vs non pro?  It's not unlike companies giving the 'platinum' moniker to a model to make it seem upscale when one company's platinum is another company's pewter. The only Apple device that one could definitively call 'pro' is the Mac Pro.