Peloton could be bought by Apple to boost healthcare initiatives

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited February 2022
Acquiring Peloton could be a "major strategic coup" for Apple, according to Wedbush, with the purchase potentially helping boost Apple's moves in the health and fitness market.

Following the halt of production of bikes and treadmills due to waning consumer interest, Peloton has reportedly become an acquisition target. While the main attention has been on Amazon's possible bid for the company, analysts have put forward the case that Apple could be interested in acquiring the firm.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Wedbush analysts Daniel Ives and John Katsingris write that Apple could easily be one of the potential acquirers of the fitness company. For Apple, "acquiring Peloton would be a major strategic coup and catalyze the company's aggressive health and fitness initiatives over the coming years," Wedbush says.

"With 2.8 million paid subscriptions today and a very strong/unique competitive moat, Apple acquiring Peloton would be both an offensive and defensive acquisition in our opinion."

On the defensive side, a purchase by Amazon or Nike would give either company a "major foothold into the living rooms of consumers globally," with massive potential for cross-selling services. To Apple, such a purchase would be "a business model risk for its healthcare segment and future endeavors."

As an offensive purchase, Apple could use its Fitness and Apple Watch strategy to "leverage the Peloton services and flywheel to significantly bulk up its healthcare initiatives," a field Apple has consistently worked on.

Wedbush highlights that Apple doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate for acquiring Peloton, as it has largely avoided major acquisitions outside of its $3.2 billion Beats purchase in 2014, but it's still possible. With an expected sale price of between $12 billion and $15 billion, this seems a high figure for Apple to willingly pay, though it does have over $200 billion in available cash resources.

"We believe Peloton is a unique asset that would fit well into Apple's golden consumer ecosystem which makes us believe Cupertino could be a real bidder for this asset," the analysts conclude. "Apple may be forced into this deal if Amazon, Nike, or potentially Disney aggressively goes after Peloton in a defensive blocking strategic move."

Wedbush currently has a $200 12-month price target for Apple, with the iPhone maker designated with an "Outperform" rating.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    No...
    Yeh, Peloton has a subscriber base of primarily serious exercise enthusiasts (many of which likely wear Garmin watches -- so they won't incorporate well into Apple's ecosystem).

Beyond that, what does Peloton have to offer that Apple doesn't already have and, in many ways, surpass?
    mark fearingleavingthebiggravnorodomqwerty52jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    No...
    Yeh, Peloton has a subscriber base of primarily serious exercise enthusiasts (many of which likely wear Garmin watches -- so they won't incorporate well into Apple's ecosystem).

Beyond that, what does Peloton have to offer that Apple doesn't already have and, in many ways, surpass?

Um an entire fitness ecosystem with cache. You can’t name one Apple Fitness instructor while Peloton instructors are on first name basis with millions. That’s what Apple would want to integrate into their own. You can’t even use your Peloton bike with Apple Fitness’ cycling workouts and get the full range of data. Things like that is why this would be a fit. 

BeatspatchythepirateravnorodomJapheyqwerty52
  • Reply 3 of 36
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    What a low IQ moron.  There is not an M&A deal he has not advocated -  Netflix, Tesla, game publishers…   It’s as if he still does not understand Apple even though he follows it everyday 🤔
    irwinmauriceqwerty52cornchipjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wedbush is trying to drive up the price of Peloton, I see.
    waveparticlemark fearingleavingthebiggretrogustopatchythepiratehcrefugeeravnorodomJapheyqwerty52mike1
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I would consider an apple version of Peloton. If Peloton would enable apps like amazon prime, youtube, apple tv, netflix, hdhomerun, zwift. I would consider Peleton as well but they try to lock you into a monthly subscription; otherwise, you have a big paper weight or an expensive clothes hanger. Their current business model does not work for me. Apple can make that big display like a big ios device/apple tv with a fitness focus.  I can see this fitting in Apple’s ecosystem, but Apple would probably prefer to make something on their own vs buying another company.
    BeatsravnorodomAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This would work:

IF Apple were to buy them, the current 2.6 subscriber content should be added to Fitness+. If any of those subscribers just had one other Apple subscription like Apple Music, then Apple One would be a “no brainer” upgrade. Now, Peloton equipment/content is part of Fitness+ and would create a halo effect with Fitness+/Apple users meaning more equipment being purchased.

Now that Apple has a fitness brand they can enter gyms and expand GymKit.

Imagine being able to enter your local gym and half or all the equipment is Fitness+ compatible. Instead of spending $1k for a stationary bike you could use various Fitness+ equipment at your local gym.

This would also be a talent acquisition with the engineers, fitness trainers Peloton has on their service and more.

I’m not saying Apple should buy Peloton, I’m just asking to think outside the box. The possibilities are there.

No...

What does Peloton have to offer?!?!!

Almost everything!! This acquisition adds more than the Beats acquisition.

Apple already had earbuds and music services before they acquired Beats. Peloton has fitness equipment! None of which Apple has!
    patchythepirateAnilu_777qwerty52
  • Reply 7 of 36
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Will lots of people suddenly start buying expensive Peloton bikes just because Apple buys Peloton?  Will lots of people suddenly sign up for those expensive subscriptions just because Apple buys Peloton?  (Especially considering that Peloton revenues spiked primarily and overwhelmingly because of the pandemic and is now coming back to earth?)

The obvious answer is No and No.

Peloton only makes sense for Apple at fire sale prices.  Certainly not at $12-15 billion.  No dead end business is worth that.
    edited February 2022 iOS_Guy80ravnorodomjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Such a bad idea and I doubt it will happen...really doubt it. Peloton is failing. They have a very small market and Apple would be better saved to build out there own hardware if they wanted to do that which I really doubt to. 
    hammeroftruthwilliamlondonGeorgeBMaciOS_Guy80ravnorodom
  • Reply 9 of 36
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    No...

No.  Lot's of people use Apple watches with Pelotons which Pelotons promotes heavily.  I did get a laugh out of "serious exercise enthusiasts with Garmin watches" though.  Not even close to true either statement.  Apple could improve the quality and service of Peloton bikes, which is needed, plus tie it into Fitness plus at a great cost.  It would be a win win for both.  But not sure Apple wants to deal with making exercise equipment.  Peloton needs Apple a lot more than the other way round.
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    lmasanti said:
    With all due respect to… Wedbush analysts Daniel Ives and John Katsingris… they never understood the ‘build from the scratch in Apple soul’… essence of all Apple development.

LOL!  You're saying that about a computer company that literally bought a company to get the operating system that runs almost everything they sell.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXT

And they bought the music platform that enabled the iPod.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundJam_MP

edited February 2022 williamlondonravnorodom
  • Reply 11 of 36
    snookie said:
    No...

No.  Lot's of people use Apple watches with Pelotons which Pelotons promotes heavily.  I did get a laugh out of "serious exercise enthusiasts with Garmin watches" though.  Not even close to true either statement.  Apple could improve the quality and service of Peloton bikes, which is needed, plus tie it into Fitness plus at a great cost.  It would be a win win for both.  But not sure Apple wants to deal with making exercise equipment.  Peloton needs Apple a lot more than the other way round.
    Seems like most of you commenters don’t actually have Pelotons.  While Apple certainly doesn’t need their kind of inferior interface - one of you is correct the value to Apple is getting MORE integraron into Peloton not less.  So far the inability to fully integrate Apple products into Pelotons equipment is lame - totally lame.  ONLY the Apple Watch integrates HR and calories/mileage but that’s the extent.  You can’t “cast” to your HomePod sitting next to your bike or tread.  DUMB.  Or to your Apple TV to watch Peloton classes in your living room instead of trying to from your bikes monitor.  DUMB.  

But yes - it’s the active lifestyle market that IS Apples most important connection and Peloton has a small piece at that table.  Their talent and extensive classes are very valuable.  And remember didn’t Peloton buy the gym equipment company as well? Name?  Precor.   

Oh also - Pelotons operate using ANDRIODs software which is horrible on their devices.  Obviously that closes off Apple easy integration to existing hardware.  

So - Apple would never buy their hardware. For what??  But would be great is a buyer that FULLY opens the Apple ecosystem to seamlessly integrates it like logging in, creating a Peloton account, using Apple Fitness, AirPods, HomePods, Apple TV, your Mac or bikes and treads that just work from your iPhone screen or dropping your iPads on them.  That’s where it makes some sense.   
    BeatswilliamlondonGeorgeBMaciOS_Guy80danoxravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    tundraboy said:
    Will lots of people suddenly start buying expensive Peloton bikes just because Apple buys Peloton?  Will lots of people suddenly sign up for those expensive subscriptions just because Apple buys Peloton?  (Especially considering that Peloton revenues spiked primarily and overwhelmingly because of the pandemic and is now coming back to earth?)

The obvious answer is No and No.

Peloton only makes sense for Apple at fire sale prices.  Certainly not at $12-15 billion.  No dead end business is worth that.

Read my above reply. It wouldn’t have to be an “expensive subscription”. It could be added to Fitness+ at $9.99 and encourage Apple One upgrades. In the long run Apple’s services would explode on the fitness end.

If Apple can encourage GymKit adoption via Peloton then. They will make their $12 billion back in Watch sales and subscriptions. They can slowly take Garmin’s entire market share.

Again, I’m not sure it’s the best acquisition but you have to look at it deeper than Apple buying a bunch of bikes. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Beats said:
    This would work:

IF Apple were to buy them, the current 2.6 subscriber content should be added to Fitness+. If any of those subscribers just had one other Apple subscription like Apple Music, then Apple One would be a “no brainer” upgrade. Now, Peloton equipment/content is part of Fitness+ and would create a halo effect with Fitness+/Apple users meaning more equipment being purchased.

Imagine being able to enter your local gym and half or all the equipment is Fitness+ compatible. Instead of spending $1k for a stationary bike you could use various Fitness+ equipment at your local gym.

This would also be a talent acquisition with the engineers, fitness trainers Peloton has on their service and more.

I’m not saying Apple should buy Peloton, I’m just asking to think outside the box. The possibilities are there.

No...

Apple already had earbuds and music services before they acquired Beats. Peloton has fitness equipment! None of which Apple has!
    Apple’s purchase of Beats was really to acquire the backend of a subscription based music service which at the time most people said was a bad idea because nobody wanted to “rent music”. The hardware was crap, but had a few years of popularity before Apple had to discontinue a good portion of the headphone line.  They also got some good talent out of that purchase, but still was overpriced in my opinion. 

Fitness+ is still in its infancy and is undergoing more fine tuning. I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple poaches some of Peloton’s instructors and let’s the rest of the company fade away or get acquired by someone else.  

Peloton’s situation goes to show that most people really would rather go to a gym than work out at home. 
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    One thing Apple doesn't buy is failing companies. 

Just because it's overpriced doesn't mean Apple, who some think produces overpriced computers, would be good fit to buy Peloton. 
    GeorgeBMacravnorodommike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    omasouomasou Posts: 573member
    Apple could offer a versions w/o the LED screen locked to the exercise equipment and offer a bracket to hold an iPad, iPhone or integrate w/an Apple TV or iMac. Would remove the largest complaints related to price and one use for the screen.
    edited February 2022 Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Like Apple needs a boost…
    or maybe the analysts need a boost!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    grom007 said:
    I would consider an apple version of Peloton. If Peloton would enable apps like amazon prime, youtube, apple tv, netflix, hdhomerun, zwift. I would consider Peleton as well but they try to lock you into a monthly subscription; otherwise, you have a big paper weight or an expensive clothes hanger. Their current business model does not work for me. Apple can make that big display like a big ios device/apple tv with a fitness focus.  I can see this fitting in Apple’s ecosystem, but Apple would probably prefer to make something on their own vs buying another company.
    That is the point though If Apple had a move in this space it would be as a developer platform to mean the only hardware you have to buy is Apples every other part is an accessory you can buy from others who pay Apple money. No screens attached to your bike your iPad or Apple TV covers that part, AppleWatch already talks to fitness equipment like bikes but if you want a towering machine instead well they talk to that as well. 

The only part Apple doesn't interface yet is the weights and I'm sure a modified airtag would fix that. 
    Apple could enable the disrupter into a bunch of disrupters all competing using their own branding and paying Apple a reliable trickle of dollars to tie it together. Makes the next up-sell item an easy one as people get more serious. 

So what do they really have to offer?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Beats said:
    This would work:

No...

Apple would not get 2.6 million Peloton subscribers -- because some/many/most don't have Apple equipment -  specifically an Apple Watch.  And Apple is not about to walk away from their ecosystem

As for Peloton equipment?   You can get the same at Dick's Sporting Goods for a fraction of the cost.
    sconosciuto
  • Reply 19 of 36
    gijoeinla said:
    snookie said:
    No...

Seems like most of you commenters don’t actually have Pelotons.  While Apple certainly doesn’t need their kind of inferior interface - one of you is correct the value to Apple is getting MORE integraron into Peloton not less.  So far the inability to fully integrate Apple products into Pelotons equipment is lame - totally lame.  ONLY the Apple Watch integrates HR and calories/mileage but that’s the extent.  You can’t “cast” to your HomePod sitting next to your bike or tread.  DUMB.  Or to your Apple TV to watch Peloton classes in your living room instead of trying to from your bikes monitor.  DUMB.  

But yes - it’s the active lifestyle market that IS Apples most important connection and Peloton has a small piece at that table.  Their talent and extensive classes are very valuable.  And remember didn’t Peloton buy the gym equipment company as well? Name?  Precor.   

Oh also - Pelotons operate using ANDRIODs software which is horrible on their devices.  Obviously that closes off Apple easy integration to existing hardware.  

So - Apple would never buy their hardware. For what??  But would be great is a buyer that FULLY opens the Apple ecosystem to seamlessly integrates it like logging in, creating a Peloton account, using Apple Fitness, AirPods, HomePods, Apple TV, your Mac or bikes and treads that just work from your iPhone screen or dropping your iPads on them.  That’s where it makes some sense.   
    Apple already has a raft of classes and excellent instructors -- and they are continually building and improving on that.
    And, like you say, Apple would not want their hardware.

So, what's left?  A couple million subscribers who would have to buy Apple equipment anyway?  Why bother?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    larryjw said:
    One thing Apple doesn't buy is failing companies. 

Just because it's overpriced doesn't mean Apple, who some think produces overpriced computers, would be good fit to buy Peloton. 

It seems that Apple only invests in other companies to gain a strategic advantage in pursuit of their goals.  In other words, to buy talent or a set of patents and such.

But,
    Apple already has a firm foothold in the fitness area.
    Peloton has little or nothing of value to offer them.

In fact, Apple is better off with Peloton staying an independent competitor -- otherwise they'll be accused of monopolizing the fitness market too!
    ravnorodommike1watto_cobra