Tesla plans on launching its own in-car App Store, rumor claims

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sketchy rumors say Tesla has been developing an App Store that would feature on the cars' touchscreen control panel.

Even as Elon Musk backs Epic Games and calls Apple's App Store, "a de facto global tax," it's said that Tesla is working on its own rival. Rumors were initially started when Tesla released an update that allowed for a customizable icon bar at the foot of the touchscreen.

According to TheDriven, though, an investor the publication describes as being "in the know," has been hinting about Tesla App Store. Investor Sawyer Merritt tweeted a video of Steve Jobs unveiling the App Store, and said it is coming soon.

Rumor has it something similar is coming soon to something with four wheels that starts with a T https://t.co/qBGPzZpbdE

-- Sawyer Merritt (@SawyerMerritt)

Merritt has not specifically said that there is a Tesla App Store. And Tesla has not announced one, but Elon Musk has recently tweeted that, "Tesla is as much a software company as it is a hardware [one]."

TheDriven quotes other sources saying a Tesla App Store will launch before deliveries of the company's Cyber Truck. None have strong evidence, however, so it may be nothing more than guesswork.

Or it could be Tesla itself, floating a trial balloon to see what interested there could be in an App Store.

If drivers are interested, and given the opportunity to buy apps, the next question is whether this could be how Tesla will finally support Apple's CarPlay.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

Even as Elon Musk backs Epic Games and calls Apple's App Store, "a de facto global tax," it's said that Tesla is working on its own rival. 

I’m not sure that a Tesla App Store would accurately be described as a rival to Apple’s. One is on a car, the other on a phone, and it’s not like people would choose between buying either a Tesla or an iPhone because of the app stores on their platform. 
    mike1ravnorodomlavanderfieldsMplsPjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Considering you can't use any app while the vehicle is in motion I'm not sure any would actually PAY for anything in that App Store. Because of that reason I don't subscribe to the monthly cost in either of our Teslas. There's just so little benefit to the service.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Thought it already existed? Either way this would be anti-competitive as Tesla would have a monopoly on their own car’s!!!!!!!

/s

Apple really needs to finish their Car project already.
    badmonkjony0
  • Reply 4 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    What Tesla will sell through in-car App Store ? Empty promises that under $30K Tesla car coming ? Million miles battery ? Services for repairs because Tesla builds unreliable cars ?
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wood1208 said:
    What Tesla will sell through in-car App Store ? Empty promises that under $30K Tesla car coming ? Million miles battery ? Services for repairs because Tesla builds unreliable cars ?
    There’s always hater in the crowd, isn’t there. Apple is treated like Tesla, people claim their products are overpriced garbage and unreliable yet there are now 1.5 billion Apple users in the real world. You claim Tesla builds unreliable cars yet they  are the most successful EV builder in the world right now. I know three Tesla owners and all three of them are very happy with their purchases. So hate on, hater.
    mike1ravnorodomdewmejony0
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Unless their software security is AT LEAST as good as Apple's, which I seriously doubt, this is a REALLY bad idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Maybe Tesla's App Store sells cosmetic stuffs such as changing the theme of on-board interface to look like Avenger Helicarrier spaceship or downloading all forms of music apps including Apple Music app. Mercedes promised incorporating Apple Music app in their MBUX last year but it never materialized.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Apple should just get rid of the App Store. Not allow 3rd party apps at all. You can get games from arcade use Netflix online. Seeing how people hate the App Store so much I say get rid of it. I’d be fine. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    If Tesla locks out 3rd-party app-developers, or doesn't offer a 3rd-party payment system I hope Apple files a lawsuit at Tesla. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    EV or ICE or hydrogen, I would not buy a car without carplay. In fact, it would have to have wireless carplay. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member
    Considering you can't use any app while the vehicle is in motion I'm not sure any would actually PAY for anything in that App Store. Because of that reason I don't subscribe to the monthly cost in either of our Teslas. There's just so little benefit to the service.
    The way Tesla has designed its latest software, everything is an ‘App.’ Thry could very easily have a podcast app, an Apple Music app, a Waze app, etc
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Tesla will lack the development platform Apple has developed over the last many years. 

Apple will not allow that their swift / Xcode dev tool is used for “self hosting apps” in a Tesla. 

Never !
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Can’t wait to play Fruit Ninja while stuck in LA traffic on auto pilot. 
    watto_cobra