MOSR and Future Harware Accuracy

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This applies mainly to hardware predictions, but I'm sure software and other predictions will come into play.

The topic is: How accurate has MOSR been in general since it has been around? It seems that despite some truly embarrasing hoaxes....MOSR is not the whore we say it is. That being said, MOSR needs to be taken with a grain of salt...(16" PB screen WTF?). They frequently come up with some truly stupid things.....

So, what have they been right about? Also, I can't stand the phrase they use "although the grapevine has been largely mum on the issue"......and the like.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I suspect that to protect their sources, MOSR often mixes good info with some BS, they "cut the information", so to speak, with nonsense. That way Apple cannot track down the leaks as easily.

That being said, MOSR is right more often than AI, but MOSR also is wrong more often than AI. Not sure how they compare as far as % of stories that are correct.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    MOSR posts much more often than other rumors sites I frequent, and most of it is complete bs. Regarding post #2: maybe, maybe they "cut" the good info with makebelieve. I prefer to think they just get high and make up mac rumors every once in a while.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    [quote] I prefer to think they just get high and make up mac rumors every once in a while. <hr></blockquote>

I think they do this, too.

But they are dead-on sometimes, so they must get good info once in awhile. They nailed the cube before anyone else did, if I recall right.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    they just write what's most likely to happen.....
  • Reply 5 of 17
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    MOSR is total BS.

Here are two direct quotes from the front page story.

[quote]The G5 went into volume production as of last thursday. It is being produced in 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6Ghz versions. The chips that are testing at 1Ghz are being set aside, in case there are not enough 1.6Ghz chips to release that machine. If yield are good enough, Cisco has committed to buying them for a new upcoming high-end router.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]The G5 machines will have DDR ram, Gigawire, and a much faster bus. Because of the high cost of the G5 processor, only the mid and high end machines will sport superdrivers.<hr></blockquote>

Does anyone see anything wrong with this. There are three possibilities here. The source quoted works at Apple or the source quoted works at Motorola or the source works for neither of these two companies.

If option one is true than how would someone working at a chip manufacture possible know the detailed specs of a G5 mac, including the fact that only the top models will have super drives. What does Motorola care about the product line up of apple and their detailed pricing matrix.

If option two is true how the hell would someone from Apple (probably some kind of hardware engineer) know that Cisco would be buying G5 chips from Motorola. Does that make any sense at all?

If option three is true than how would he know anything? If it was some third party advertising guy, website person, observer, or anything else how would then know details beyond what they see?

Bottom line: unless MOSR's source is Steve Jobs and the head of Motorola sitting together writing this message there is no way this source is creditable.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Dogcow ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [edit: double post]

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Dogcow ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Dogcow, I share your skepticism of MOSR, but you forgot another possibility:

That info could be based on reports from more than one mole. MOSR could have just gleaned that info from sources at both Apple and Motorola.

I doubt he did, but it's possible. I'm just saying that the rumor itself does not contain lapses in logic about whether sources could know the information or not.

Damn, it would be great if this rumor was right! G5 chips already in production--that would mean it's a sure thing for MWSF. But MOSR doesn't have good sources for chips speeds, I remember he was totally off on his predictions for the 7450 G4 introduction.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Well according to Architosh, the G5 is in production and will debut in Jan-<a href="http://www.architosh.com/news/2001-12/2001c-1201-g5moto-info.phtml"; target="_blank">here</a>

Not sure of any rumor site but everyone seems to be on the same page of one thing - we will have new power macs and they will be fast at MWSF.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Dogcow, I share your skepticism of MOSR, but you forgot another possibility:

That info could be based on reports from more than one mole. MOSR could have just gleaned that info from sources at both Apple and Motorola.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dont think so. Take a look at MOSR right now. it's a quoted message clearly from one source.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    He says it's from one source, but to protect his sources he probably combines all the info and then makes a story out of it, with some BS mixed in. At least, that's what I would do if I wanted to protect my sources.

If MOSR is right about this I'll start having some real respect for that website!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I can't say much for MOSR, but Think Secret has an interesting story about the G5 not coming yet.

<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/features/powermacg5.html"; target="_blank">http://www.thinksecret.com/features/powermacg5.html</a>;
  • Reply 12 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>I can't say much for MOSR, but Think Secret has an interesting story about the G5 not coming yet.

<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/features/powermacg5.html"; target="_blank">http://www.thinksecret.com/features/powermacg5.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Yea, and Architosh has an article about the G5 coming out in Jan.

<a href="http://www.architosh.com/news/2001-12/2001c-1201-g5moto-info.phtml"; target="_blank">read here</a>
  • Reply 13 of 17
    You know, it might be interesting to do a comparison/review of MOSR and other sites to look at their accuracy. Someday, when I have time, I might do that.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Here's a list of MOSR's infamous expliots as I remember them:

iMac will come in glow-in-the-dark colors(1998)

iBook will have a hand crank(1999)

G4 will not come until MWSF(1999)

1GHz G4 by MWSF 2001(2000)

G4 Cube will be 12"x12"x12" box(2000)

CubeBook(2000)

$20,000 Macs powered by fantistically fast POWER4 processors(2001)

Dual processor PowerBooks(2001)

And of course, who can ever resist the one about the iBook having a touch screen, weighing 3lbs, costing $999, and powered by a MacOS/Newton OS hybrid?

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 17
    IIRC, last summer we should have had DDR SDRAM and quad-G4s, according to MOSR.

Remember their "Dream Machines"? Those were the best part of the site.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Anyone remember the dual-processor iMac article from MOSR? Two processors commuicate with ribbon connection or something like that.....

That really made me laugh
  • Reply 17 of 17
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    Let me put it this way:

THE TALIBAN HAS MORE CREDIBILITY THAN MOSR!