Apple announces 'Tap to Pay', lets users take payments on iPhone

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2022
As recently predicted, Apple is to allow iPhone owners to take Apple Pay and "other contactless payments" simply by using an iOS app.

Following the recent rumors of iPhones being made to accept credit and debit cards, Apple has formally announced the forthcoming "Tap to Pay" feature.

"As more and more consumers are tapping to pay with digital wallets and credit cards," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Apple Pay and Apple Wallet, "Tap to Pay on iPhone will provide businesses with a secure, private, and easy way to accept contactless payments and unlock new checkout experiences using the power, security, and convenience of iPhone."

"In collaboration with payment platforms, app developers, and payment networks," she continued, "we're making it easier than ever for businesses of all sizes - from solopreneurs to large retailers - to seamlessly accept contactless payments and continue to grow their business."

Tap to Pay will not require any additional hardware, such as a separate payment terminal. It will instead be made available for app developers to integrate into their iOS apps.

Apple says only that Tap to Pay will begin "later this year," and that it is initially limited to US merchants.

The company is working first with Stripe to create a new payment app for that company's services.

"Whether you're a salesperson at an internet-first retailer or an individual entrepreneur, you can soon accept contactless payments on a device that's already in your pocket: your iPhone," said Billy Alvarado, Stripe's chief business officer.

"With Tap to Pay on iPhone," he continued, "millions of businesses using Stripe can enhance their in-person commerce experience by offering their customers a fast and secure checkout."

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Nice, but whatever happened to the tap to transmit contact information feature?
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    hmlongco said:
    Not commissionable...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    hmlongco said:
    Was that ever a thing on iOS? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    hmlongco said:
    There's this option, which may be of interest: (29) How to make a digital business card for your Apple Wallet | LinkedIn

I agree, it'd be quite cool to NFC your contact card over.  Though it might cause some concern given that it's the same mechanism to transfer money.

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    crowley said:
    hmlongco said:
    There's this option, which may be of interest: (29) How to make a digital business card for your Apple Wallet | LinkedIn

I agree, it'd be quite cool to NFC your contact card over.  Though it might cause some concern given that it's the same mechanism to transfer money.

There has long been an option to create a business card that can be stored in Apple wallet and shared many ways. This has been true almost since Apple first released Apple
    Wallet. NFC is not necessary to share a business card made this way. Is that what Europe wants Apple to open up NFC for?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Finally! This is a big deal for especially micro entrepreneurs, freelancers, taxis and small shops. Soft PoS will transform their lives as PoS currently requires a separate device either old school or android based with GPRS connection that can be flaky. Will be interesting to see how this takes off in countries where local custom or laws demand a paper receipt.

Merchant acquisition of card payments is a huge business with quite tasty processing fees. I think Apple is on to a winner and I love how they keep adding incremental revenue services on a continuous basis. Many small rivers make a large torrent over time.
    h4y3siOS_Guy80patchythepirateviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    bshank said:
    crowley said:
    hmlongco said:

There has long been an option to create a business card that can be stored in Apple wallet and shared many ways. This has been true almost since Apple first released Apple
    Wallet. NFC is not necessary to share a business card made this way. Is that what Europe wants Apple to open up NFC for?
    I don't believe there's any Apple provided way to add a business card to Wallet, or any variety of ways to share them. I'm replying to hmlongco, I don't think anyone has suggested "Europe" (I presume you mean some department of the EU?) has any interest in this.

If you have any more info, please share.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Besides it can take long before it will be available outside of US.

What I be needed to od or use to be able to accept payments? I guess it won't work just with wallet same was as if I am paying. Do not know Stripe.
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 111member
    1 million to 1 odds this will only be available to developers that don’t use a 3rd party service for payment. 
    iOS_Guy80
  • Reply 10 of 31
    dee_dee said:
    1 million to 1 odds this will only be available to developers that don’t use a 3rd party service for payment. 
    Stipe, mentioned in the article, uses Visa, a 3rd party,  for payment processing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Finally! This is a big deal for especially micro entrepreneurs, freelancers, taxis and small shops. Soft PoS will transform their lives as PoS currently requires a separate device either old school or android based with GPRS connection that can be flaky. Will be interesting to see how this takes off in countries where local custom or laws demand a paper receipt.

Merchant acquisition of card payments is a huge business with quite tasty processing fees. I think Apple is on to a winner and I love how they keep adding incremental revenue services on a continuous basis. Many small rivers make a large torrent over time.
    Apple Pay, Apple Cash card, Apple credit card and now a payment network. Bravo. Bring on Apple Bank.
    Beatsthe1maximuspatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    hmlongco said:
    There used to be an app called 'Bump'.  It was awesome. You could use it to easily transfer contacts, photos etc in a very easy way, simply by bumping devices together.  And, what made it even more awesome is that it was totally cross platform. Didn't matter if you had an Android phone or an iPhone. They simply connected.

But, Google ended up buying the app and simply shut it down. No explanation given.

Just one more example that shows these companies don't actually care about making products that do what customers want, but they want to make as much money as they possibly can, at every possible angle.  And there's not a thing you can do about it.
    randominternetpersonpatchythepirateviclauyyckitatitjony0
  • Reply 13 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    brianjo said:
    hmlongco said:
    There used to be an app called 'Bump'.  It was awesome. You could use it to easily transfer contacts, photos etc in a very easy way, simply by bumping devices together.  And, what made it even more awesome is that it was totally cross platform. Didn't matter if you had an Android phone or an iPhone. They simply connected.

But, Google ended up buying the app and simply shut it down. No explanation given.

Just one more example that shows these companies don't actually care about making products that do what customers want, but they want to make as much money as they possibly can, at every possible angle.  And there's not a thing you can do about it.

The problem with “bump” is that there’s easier ways to do the same thing.

For example, I just sent my mom some pictures in less than 30 seconds. I don’t wanna go to her house and bump her phone.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Beats said:
    brianjo said:
    hmlongco said:

The problem with “bump” is that there’s easier ways to do the same thing.

For example, I just sent my mom some pictures in less than 30 seconds. I don’t wanna go to her house and bump her phone.
    I was at your mom’s house bumping phones last night.

Sorry, dumb joke, but the setup was too good. 

But I agree with you. Airdrop and other solutions are good enough. Bumping phones seems too intimate IMO. 
    patchythepirateJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    hmlongco said:

Toothing?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 31
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 111member
    dee_dee said:
    Stipe, mentioned in the article, uses Visa, a 3rd party,  for payment processing. 
    Stripe is a payment processor, and they work with a number of credit card companies.  They are not in the same category as app developers on the App Store. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    hmlongco said:
    I remember transferring "business cards" between Palm Pilots over IR. Much more sanitary. ;-)
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Will the same spending limits apply here that currently exist with contactless payments?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment#Floor_limit <--

• Reply 19 of 31
    Will the same spending limits apply here that currently exist with contactless payments?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment#Floor_limit <--

Presumably.  The limit applies to the card of the person paying, nothing to do with the transaction terminal.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Apple Pay, Apple Cash card, Apple credit card and now a payment network. Bravo. Bring on Apple Bank.
    An all-digital Apple Bank would be nice but they will likely build on traditional banks. Apple Cash is similar to a bank account, allowing up to $20k balance and uses Green Dot Bank behind the scenes:

https://www.apple.com/apple-cash/
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207884

"Sending and receiving money with Apple Pay and the Apple Cash card are services provided by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC."

Some banks are starting to offer banking-as-a-service:

https://www.greendot.com/business-solutions
    https://stripe.com/treasury

This way deposits are insured and regulated like a bank but on the outside it looks like a company brand offering the service.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ronshevlin/2021/03/08/walmarts-fintech-aspiration-the-first-super-app-in-the-united-states/

These services are much more accessible to people, especially younger people and international workers than traditional banking services. For most people, digital wallets like Apple Cash should be enough to replace a traditional bank account.
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonwatto_cobra