Android Apple Music beta code reveals upcoming 'Apple Classical' app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has begun rolling out the latest beta for Apple Music on Android, possibly revealing the name of Apple's suspected standalone classical music app.

In 2021, Apple acquired classical music streaming company Primephonic. As a result, Primephonic shut down on September 7, 2021.

The Cupertino tech giant had begun making plans to improve the current Apple Music service and launch a dedicated classical offering in 2022.

9to5Google has unearthed a bit of code in the Apple Music beta on Android, suggesting that the service may be called "Apple Classical." The existence of the code could also hint that the service may be close to launching.

As always, it's possible that "Apple Classical" is simply a code name and that the name may differ at launch.

Apple on Monday purchased AI Music, a London-based company that specializes in using artificial intelligence to create customized, dynamic music.

In March 2021, AppleInsider asked three professional musicians for their impressions of the AirPods Max as they listen to their favorite classical works.

Read on AppleInsider
marcus1983

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I can’t wait for this to launch. It will probably be the final nail in Spotify’s coffin for me, causing me to use Apple Music full time instead of splitting my time between the two. I initially thought they would launch it at the same time as the AirPods Pro 2, but if it comes before that, even better. 
    marcus1983
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    I hope we can subscribe to this separately for a lower rate. I’d prefer a standalone, classical music streaming app for lower price. $4.99 per month would be great. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    XedXed Posts: 2,559member
    ne1 said:
    I hope we can subscribe to this separately for a lower rate. I’d prefer a standalone, classical music streaming app for lower price. $4.99 per month would be great. 
    I see that Primephonic was $7.99 per month. Seems pricey to me since I'm under the assumption that much of classical music doesn't have royalties associated with it.

I hope they do it right. Since the inception of iTunes Apple has failed to offer classical music libraries properly.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Xed said:
    ne1 said:
    I see that Primephonic was $7.99 per month. Seems pricey to me since I'm under the assumption that much of classical music doesn't have royalties associated with it.

I hope they do it right. Since the inception of iTunes Apple has failed to offer classical music libraries properly.
    Your assumption is incorrect. Almost all quality classical music recordings are copyrighted.   There are definitely “knockoffs” of classical pieces, but if you’re a true classical music fan, you’re not paying money for poor recordings.  Classical music fans have no problem paying more for quality than quantity.  
    williamlondon