Lawsuit claims iPad mini 6 is defective because of 'jelly scrolling' issue

Posted:
in iPad
Apple has been hit with a class action lawsuit alleging that the so-called "jelly scrolling" issue on the iPad mini 6 renders the device "unusable."

Apple iPad mini 6
Apple iPad mini 6

The complaint, lodged in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California by Christopher Bryan on Wednesday, claims that sixth-generation iPad mini devices are defective because of the "jelly scroll" problem.

Shortly after the iPad mini 6 was released, users began reporting a wobbly or "jelly" effect when scrolling on the device. The issue was apparently caused by one side of the device's display refreshing slower than the other.

In the lawsuit, which was first spotted by MacRumors, the plaintiff also alleges that "users have reported motion sickness, nausea, vomiting, and migraines when using the Device due to the Defect."

Apple dismissed the issue back in September 2021, stating that the "jelly effect" was normal behavior for LCD displays. The lawsuit Wednesday also takes issue with that, stating that other LCD screens don't have nearly as bad of a "jelly scrolling" problem as the iPad mini.

Additionally, the lawsuit claims that Apple is aware of the defect but is still currently selling the iPad mini without taking steps to fix it or amend marketing materials to reflect it. The complaint alleges that Apple is "concealing" the defective nature of the device. As far as specific allegations the lawsuit accuses Apple of fraud, as well as violating California competition regulations and false advertising laws.

The complaint, which demands a jury trial, seeks damages and monetary relief for iPad mini 6 buyers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I am furious about this issue.  I'll be even more furious if I ever notice it.
    radarthekatlotonesqwerty52stompymuthuk_vanalingammagman1979fred1redgeminipatwokatmewapplguy
  • Reply 2 of 19
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    You know... I don't get this... they CAN return them if they're not happy with it.

viclauyycradarthekatqwerty52randominternetpersonmagman1979redgeminipatwokatmewkiltedgreendewme
  • Reply 3 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I got my Mini just before the holidays and I’m happy to “report” that I’ve never even once experienced “motion sickness, nausea, vomiting, and migraines”. The effect is so insignificant that I completely forget that Jelly-gate was even a thing until I read about stupid things like this. Unusable? Moron. 
    radarthekatqwerty52magman1979fred1redgeminipatwokatmew
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Japhey said:
    I got my Mini just before the holidays and I’m happy to “report” that I’ve never even once experienced “motion sickness, nausea, vomiting, and migraines”. The effect is so insignificant that I completely forget that Jelly-gate was even a thing until I read about stupid things like this. Unusable? Moron. 
    I have never noticed this issue. The mini is the best iPad I have ever had. I have the pro 12. 9 inch for photos and videos the mini is my everyday go to tablet and will continue to be. Looking forward to upgrading to the newest model when it becomes available.
    radarthekatqwerty52magman1979redgeminipatwokatmew
  • Reply 5 of 19
    My wife’s mini has tiny bit of it. But it is hardly noticeable. 

I wonder how much positivity this jelly effect can affect people. 
    qwerty52magman1979redgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I’ve seen videos of it that aren’t slowed down…it looks pretty minor to me.  It’s not exclusive to the iPad mini 6 at all.  It happens to Samsung products as well.  
    magman1979twokatmew
  • Reply 7 of 19
    What are the damages?  Refund on the iPad or brain tumor? 
    mwhitemagman1979
  • Reply 8 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Japhey said:
    I have never noticed this issue. The mini is the best iPad I have ever had. I have the pro 12. 9 inch for photos and videos the mini is my everyday go to tablet and will continue to be. Looking forward to upgrading to the newest model when it becomes available.
    Agreed. I love my Mini too. Personally, the only time I ever notice the issue is when I’m actively looking for it after reading ridiculous articles like this. And then, only barely. And like Netrox said above, if the problem is so severe that it’s literally making you physically sick…take the fucking thing back. 
    edited February 2022 magman1979twokatmew
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Lawyers gotta make their living. I can’t abide most Class Action suits - just huge money grabs for the lawyers. We get $1.19 while they get $300 million.
    twokatmewDetnatordewme
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    netrox said:
    You know... I don't get this... they CAN return them if they're not happy with it.

That just makes too much sense. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Yup, called it
  • Reply 12 of 19
    This would be attempting to sue Toyota because some version of the Rav4 has a slight shimmy at 17 mph.  Unusable!

(Just a hypothetical BTW)
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Yeah, I can see jelly scroll on my Mini. Unusable? Hardly. Illness inducing? Nope. It's only apparent in limited situations. I'm curious where this lawsuit was when it was apparent than many Samsung Galaxy Tabs also have jelly scroll. On my Tab S6, it's far more apparent and far more severe. Still doesn't affect use. This is where we are at with display technology. And that has nothing to do with Apple. 
    redgeminipatwokatmew
  • Reply 14 of 19
    What a load of tosh.
    some people need to get a life.
    surprised they have not sued the maker as grass is different lengths and they might trip over.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It all makes sense now why my teenage classmates thought I was defective because of my jelly rolls…
  • Reply 16 of 19
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’ve had my Mini since the beginning of October and I had forgotten about this.  Hmm, maybe I should try to make it happen so I can get some quick and easy cash too. /s.  (OK, not quick or easy, but cash?)
  • Reply 17 of 19
    This lawsuit isn't about the "defect" of course.  Its a law firm finding some chumps so they can cash in, some settlement in which we can all file for 50 cents in damage but they make millions.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Assuming this case goes to a jury trial can Apple submit as evidence minis so the jury can experience the issue then come to a conclusion? I don’t see this jury request any different than requesting to see a gun or knife submitted as evidence. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Have not seen it on my iPad mini.
    Hopefully this nonsense will be dismissed.