Apple TV+ announces 'The New Look' thriller about Christian Dior

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Set during the Second World War and Nazi occupation of Paris, the new Apple TV+ thriller series charts how Christian Dior replaced Coco Chanel as the world's top fashion designer.

Ben Mendelsohn and Julet Binoche (Source: Apple)
Ben Mendelsohn and Julet Binoche (Source: Apple)

Ben Mendelsohn and Juliette Binoche are to star in the new series, being made in Paris for Apple Studios. "The New Look" is written by Todd A. Kessler, best known for "Damages," and "The Sopranos." Kessler will also direct and executive produce.

"Inspired by true events and filmed exclusively in Paris, 'The New Look' is a live-action, World War II-era thriller," says Apple in a press release, "that centers on the pivotal moment in the twentieth century when Paris led the world back to life through its fashion icon, Christian Dior (played by Mendelsohn), whose creations dominated world fashion in the decade following World War II."

"The interwoven saga will include the surprising stories of Dior's contemporaries and rivals," continues Apple, "the grand dame Coco Chanel (played by Binoche), Balmain, Balenciaga, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin, Yves Saint Laurent and more."

No production or streaming date has yet been announced.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I fervently hope Apple will put some of its attention on improving its AppleTV user interface. Apple is not alone in this; basically all streamers have dismal ones. When you watch a multi-episode show on Hulu, instead of automatically cuing up and starting the next episode it starts a different title altogether! Who does that!? On ATV I want whatever shows I last watched to be first up, not buried in myriad menus. It took many years to sort of improve the remote, so I’m not optimistic. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I fervently hope Apple will put some of its attention on improving its AppleTV user interface. Apple is not alone in this; basically all streamers have dismal ones. When you watch a multi-episode show on Hulu, instead of automatically cuing up and starting the next episode it starts a different title altogether! Who does that!? On ATV I want whatever shows I last watched to be first up, not buried in myriad menus. It took many years to sort of improve the remote, so I’m not optimistic. 

I do not understand your complaint.
    Every multi-episode show on my AppleTV does exactly as you request:  "automatically cuing up and starting the next episode" and listing it first in the list of shows recently started.  It only dissapears from the list when I finish the last episode

But, I do not subscribe to Hulu.   Maybe Hulu is the problem rather than the Apple TV's UI?  (Although, admittedly, that UI and the remote could both stand to be improved.)
    ravnorodomSpitbathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Remotes in general are a sore spot, let alone dueling interfaces. Logitech’s Harmony worked for a while, especially when they finally included Bluetooth and IR transponders in the same package. But at the same time they took away the ability to modify their strongest point, the ability to build multiple devices into a seamless function - TV, receiver and external source in one button. And then Logitech just walked away. But I agree with Robin, very frustrating to turn on my AppleTV, and not be able to find which service that series I had half binged on is. Worse off, on some services the series might have been streaming long after I thought I turned it off, and THEIR interface doesn’t allow sweeping forward or back except possibly for a1, 2, or 3x FF. I end up listening to my Raspberries Side 3 eight track and crashing.