'The Problem with Jon Stewart' returning to Apple TV+ on March 3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2022
"The Problem with Jon Stewart" is set to return to Apple TV+ on Thursday, March 3 with a new slate of four episodes that will debut weekly.

Jon Stewart
Jon Stewart

Stewart announced the new episodes of his Apple TV+ show in a Twitter post on Friday, adding that the new episodes would focus on Wall Street, climate, race, and the media.

The first episode of the hour-long, single-issue series will debut on March 3, with new episodes coming out weekly over the following four weeks, the former Daily Show host added.

In addition, the series will also be more closely partnered with the podcast of the same name as far as themes and topics, Deadline has reported.

"The Problem with Jon Stewart" is among Apple's most-viewed unscripted shows. Additionally, the series has also received a Writers Guild of America Award nomination. Stewart himself is set to receive the Mark Twain Prize of American Humor later in 2022.

The series is executive produced by Brinda Adhikari, who serves as showrunner, as well as James Dixon, Stewart's long-time manager. Richard Plepler also executive producers through his EDEN Productions company, while Chelsea Devantez serves as head writer and Lorrie Baranek is the show's supervising producer.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Saw like the first episode, maybe two...didn't care for it.  I was never a huge Stewart fan, but I did find him funny.  His appearance on Colbert a few months ago was hysterical.  My impression of his show was it was preachy, one-sided and just not that funny.  But that's just me.  
    iOS_Guy80cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sdw2001 said:
    Saw like the first episode, maybe two...didn't care for it.  I was never a huge Stewart fan, but I did find him funny.  His appearance on Colbert a few months ago was hysterical.  My impression of his show was it was preachy, one-sided and just not that funny.  But that's just me.  
    Considering the first episode was about veterans suffering grave illnesses following exposure to military burn pits in the Middle East, not sure why you expected it to be funny or have multiple "sides". ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    crowley
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Wow, such desperation in Stewart’s voice. I hope someone watches. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I have been a Jon Stewart fan for years. He is one of the most intelligent, relevant and funny persons on TV. Someone questioned his relevancy. Well why don't you ask the first responders from 9/11 that he championed before congress and got them the financial aid they needed and deserved.  I know they'll tell you how incredibly relevant and effective he is. 
    Mac4macfastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Satire and humor is often the single most lethal weapon against propaganda and misinformation.
    And Jon Stewart is modern day master at it.

You either love him or you hate him -- mostly based on whichever issue he is addressing.  If you think the issue is a problem, you cheer him.  If you think the issue is a strength, you attack him.

But, what underlies his whole routine is that the nation has aligned itself as "My side against your side" where opinion and fact become interchangeable -- against which Stewart then uses real facts and reason (laced with dry humor)  to expose and discredit the propaganda and misinformation.
    Mac4macbluenix
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Satire and humor is often the single most lethal weapon against propaganda and misinformation.

You either love him or you hate him -- mostly based on whichever issue he is addressing.  If you think the issue is a problem, you cheer him.  If you think the issue is a strength, you attack him.

But, what underlies his whole routine is that the nation has aligned itself as "My side against your side" where opinion and fact become interchangeable -- against which Stewart then uses real facts and reason (laced with dry humor)  to expose and discredit the propaganda and misinformation.
    He has a team of writers. He uses sarcasm and humor but he clearly pushes one side on almost every issue. That’s why his Colbert appearance was so funny, because he talked about “science causing the pandemic” in a hilarious way.  His show just seems preachy.  
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sdw2001 said:
    Considering the first episode was about veterans suffering grave illnesses following exposure to military burn pits in the Middle East, not sure why you expected it to be funny or have multiple "sides". ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    I mean, that’s fine but I thought it would be looking at issues in a humorous way.  It’s not about “presenting all sides,” it’s about looking at things on a relatively fair and neutral way…humorously.  This is what Colbert did on the Colbert Report.  He played a character that was a send-up of O’Reilly, but he also lampooned Democrats routinely.  It’s what John Oliver  did before his whole show became about trashing Trump.  It’s what SNL did prior to said Orange Man, and again after his departure.  When I know it’s one sided or mean-spirited, it’s just not entertaining or funny.  Baldwin did a great Trump, but it lost its appeal to me because I knew he was a scorched-Earth hater.  James Austin Johnson doesn’t look at much like him, but he’s much funnier.  Shane Gillis has a Trump impression that is hilarious.  

If it’s for you, that’s cool.  Maybe I’ll even take another look at it, but right now it’s not for me. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sdw2001 said:

He has a team of writers. He uses sarcasm and humor but he clearly pushes one side on almost every issue. That’s why his Colbert appearance was so funny, because he talked about “science causing the pandemic” in a hilarious way.  His show just seems preachy.  

Not all sides are equal or even equally true -- and equating them is called a "False Equivalency".
    Sometimes you just have to call bull to the bull before yet another fool believes it --  because nobody called bull on it.

Personally, I tend to favor truth even if it's uncomfortable or doesn't fit my agenda or ideology.
    Vermelhobluenix
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Interesting how Apple TV+ new episodes and new series usually premiere on a Friday whereas Jon Stewart’s comes out on a Thursday.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sdw2001 said:
    It’s what John Oliver  did before his whole show became about trashing Trump. 
    That’s really not an accurate portrayal of Oliver’s show either. I’m not convinced you’ve actually watched these shows.