Apple prepares to dole out pay raises to many U.S. retail employees

Posted:
in General Discussion
As the labor market continues to tighten, Apple will provide raises to employees in hopes of retaining its retail location workers.

This week, Apple began holding store briefings and individual meetings with employees as the Cupertino tech giant prepares to increase the pay of its retail employees.

Salespeople, Genius Bar technical support, and some senior hourly workers will receive a bump in their pay starting this month. The raises will range from 2% to 10%, depending on the store location and role.

According to Bloomberg, the increases are catered to those who worked in Apple retail settings prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal is to better align veteran staff with recent hires. The increases do not apply to all employees, and not all stores have been notified of changes.

Apple has also planned to significantly increase benefits for Apple Store employees starting in April. The company plans to add sick days and vacation days to retain employees.

In December, it was reported that hourly workers in Apple's retail stores and the company's support call centers have revealed how poor conditions have led to struggles to pay rent -- and even to suicide.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Kudos certainly and well deserved wage increases for store employees. I have always had a great experience in the Apple stores no matter where I have traveled. 
    rezwitsAlex_VNYC362hammeroftruthbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 13
    This is an insult. You are lucky to be getting $25/hour after 10 years. And the skill, knowledge and people handling abilities are amazing. Tim, double the wages! Attract the real stars. Promote to corporate. Do the right thing. 
    hammeroftruthlkruppITGUYINSDviclauyycgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 13
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I know in person retail is dying. I wonder how thin the margins are for the stores. I read on another article it was $21->$24 / hr which is a 14% increase. Unfortunately that is still tough to live off of. 

Would be interesting to know how that impacts some of the lesser utilized stores. I like the idea of having some of the jobs there at higher amounts (not just a few dollars more). Give them something to shoot for and grow into. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    h4y3s said:
    This is an insult. You are lucky to be getting $25/hour after 10 years. And the skill, knowledge and people handling abilities are amazing. Tim, double the wages! Attract the real stars. Promote to corporate. Do the right thing. 

Yes, I agree.
    These people are the face of the company.  When an existing or potential customer has a question or problem, these are the people who can make Apple look either really good or really bad.

While money alone cannot buy loyalty or expertise, these "resources" (to play off of a debate in another thread)  need to be supported as much as possible in every way.
    grandact73
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    A lot of these benefits should have been given to employees years ago. Apple can afford to be generous with staff that are the face of the company. And 2%? Wow!!  :#
  • Reply 6 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    In Biden's administration, inflation went and going very high; Food,rent,daily necessity items prices skyrocketing. So, employers don't have choice not to raise pay for there employees. Apple is better company to recognize it and done it. Good to work for Apple.
    edited February 2022 byronlCluntBaby92
  • Reply 7 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    In Biden's administration, inflation went and going very high; Food,rent,daily necessity items prices skyrocketing. So, employers don't have choice not to raise pay for there employees. Apple is better company to recognize it and done it. Good to work for Apple.

That's because he restored the economy that his predecessor crashed.

SInce the 80's:
    GHW Bush crashes economy.   Clinton restores it to health
    GW Bush crashes the economy.   Obama restores it to health
    Trump crashes the economy.   Biden restores it to health

Are you seeing a pattern develop here?
    edited February 2022 viclauyych4y3sdewme
  • Reply 8 of 13
    wood1208 said:

SInce the 80's:

I see pattern. Biden restored economy so inflation went up. Under Trump, economy was just fine with under 2% inflation before Biden took over. Do google for facts or go check facts (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/).
    edited February 2022 byronlgrandact73CluntBaby92
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nice now raise wages of foxconn workers
  • Reply 10 of 13
    byronl said:

Sorry, that falls under the PRC's jurisdiction.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    Thanks for letting me know that Biden is the president of the world. Because pretty much the whole world has major inflation problem. 
    Trump must be very envy. 
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    wood1208 said:

SInce the 80's:

I see pattern. Biden restored economy so inflation went up. Under Trump, economy was just fine with under 2% inflation before Biden took over. Do google for facts or go check facts (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/).

Typical!   You attack your enemy on any pretext -- no matter how weak it is.
    The U.S. grew at its fastest rate in many decades and jobs have been fully restored -- and the Fed is in the process restoring things to normal.   But still, you whine.

Why?   Because, when you have nothing of value to offer all you can do is try to make the other side look worse than you.
    dewme
  • Reply 13 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    byronl said:

Sorry, that falls under the PRC's jurisdiction.

Nice try.  Foxconn is not a Chinese company.  They just know where to go to get the job done right.  (Well, usually they do.  But recently they tried India.   But that didn't work so well.)
    edited February 2022