Texas sues Meta over Facebook's past facial recognition practices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,303member
    F_Kent_D said:
    This is the same Texas state government that has made drastic changes to voting laws to try and reduce the number of citizens that can successfully cast a vote in the state.
    Based on your inaccurate comment it doesn’t seem to me you live in Texas. I’ve lived in Texas for my 43 years and the government has never tried to reduce the amount of people that can vote. We actually have opened early voting for extended periods of time, more than most states by a lot, and the state allows anyone to cast a provisional ballot that if needed any government issued or even a school issued ID is sufficient. You cannot tell me that even thou you’re required to have an ID to lease an apartment or any housing but it’s not okay to require that same ID to cast a ballot for an election. You’ve been fed wrong information watching CNN and reading The Washington Compost
    Thank you for a common sense response. Securing the integrity of our elections should be a priority for every American. Infantilizing voters by arguing they can’t possibly be expected to have  ID to vote is a disservice to everyone. 
    You need ID to buy alcohol, open a bank account, apply for welfare, apply for food stamps, buy a cell phone, apply for Medicaid/Social Security, get married, adopt a pet, drive, buy or rent a car, pick up prescriptions, buy certain cold medicines-the list goes on and on. It’s no wonder that 3/4 of Americans support voter ID laws.
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    riverko said:
    Incorrect. Voting is a right, renting an apartment isn't -- thus it's unconstitutional to require ID which require fees, time off from work for all-day commitments at the DMV, owning a vehicle, etc. Most of the western world has figured this out -- voter registration is automatic.
    Yes, in my country all voters are automatically registered. But we have to present our ID at the moment of voting. Because having ID is simply mandatory for all citizens… how else you would prove that you’re the one with the right to votr, avoid multiple voting etc… drawing red mark with unwashable paint on voter’s forehead?

In the USA, poll taxes — financial or other obstacles to voting — are constitutionally barred.  Your countries’ laws don’t matter here. There is no meaningful voter fraud here.  Been voting for 40 years. I show up at my neighborhood polling place, give my name and address. They check it off the list and I sign my name next to it. They give me a ballot and I vote.  That’s it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    This is the same Texas state government that has made drastic changes to voting laws to try and reduce the number of citizens that can successfully cast a vote in the state.
    Based on your inaccurate comment it doesn’t seem to me you live in Texas. I’ve lived in Texas for my 43 years and the government has never tried to reduce the amount of people that can vote. We actually have opened early voting for extended periods of time, more than most states by a lot, and the state allows anyone to cast a provisional ballot that if needed any government issued or even a school issued ID is sufficient. You cannot tell me that even thou you’re required to have an ID to lease an apartment or any housing but it’s not okay to require that same ID to cast a ballot for an election. You’ve been fed wrong information watching CNN and reading The Washington Compost
    Someone needs to read more about their state laws. FB and Qanon groups aren't cutting it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/07/politics/what-texas-voting-bill-does/index.html

Oops. I linked to article from CNN. I guess that means it's automatically all "fake news". 🙄
    How is structuring an accountable voting system to limit fraudulent votes reducing the number of citizens who can successfully vote? There's absolutely nothing in that article that demonstrates a blocking in someone's ability to vote - does removing 24hr voting inconvenience some, maybe, but 6am to 10pm still gives you 16 out of 24hrs to cast a vote so it's not impossible - people can go before work or afterwork regardless of their shift. Texas actually has a State law in place that says employers are NOT allowed to prevent an employee from voting: https://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/voting_time_off.html so exactly how are people are the number of citizens being reduce? 
    You're asking how creating voter laws that are purposely designed to restrict the votes of minorities could possibly reduce their ability to vote? If that's a head scratcher to you then maybe you shouldn't vote.

PS: Next time why don't you bring up how gerrymandering is perfectly fine so long as it benefits your party.
    How are these changes specifically targeting minorities? How are white people immune to any impact of these changes? Please list out where these changes are minority impacting only - I'll wait, but please don't attempt to list anything that's related to socioeconomics because those same factors effect white people as well...
    cat52
  • Reply 24 of 40
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    Someone needs to read more about their state laws. FB and Qanon groups aren't cutting it.

Oops. I linked to article from CNN. I guess that means it's automatically all "fake news". 🙄
    How is structuring an accountable voting system to limit fraudulent votes reducing the number of citizens who can successfully vote? There's absolutely nothing in that article that demonstrates a blocking in someone's ability to vote - does removing 24hr voting inconvenience some, maybe, but 6am to 10pm still gives you 16 out of 24hrs to cast a vote so it's not impossible - people can go before work or afterwork regardless of their shift. Texas actually has a State law in place that says employers are NOT allowed to prevent an employee from voting: https://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/voting_time_off.html so exactly how are people are the number of citizens being reduce? 
    I love how people pretend like rampant voter fraud is an actual problem that needs solving (it isn't) and that further restricting voting is a necessary step to further secure elections (it isn't). It's well documented who these restrictions overwhelmingly target, and which side is responsible for instigating these bullshit pieces of legislation. There is no data to support the allegations of voter fraud as we've seen over and over again. You're either being willfully obtuse to support your indefensible position on the subject, or you're an abject moron.
    Seriously??? Going in to the 2020 election all we heard about was ensuring against fraudulent voting and Russian influence the same way we saw in the 2016 election. Even after the election CNN and MSNBC were talking about how, even though Biden won, we shouldn't assume that Russia wasn't still making attempts to swing the vote to Trump again like they did in 2016... The whole Russian thing was was debunked, but they still ran and continue to run with that narrative. 2016 to 2020 all you head about what how fraudulent the election was and off the back of this believed notion of fake Facebook ads measures where put in place to guard against it ever happening again. 
    cat52
  • Reply 25 of 40
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,730member
    riverko said:
    Incorrect. Voting is a right, renting an apartment isn't -- thus it's unconstitutional to require ID which require fees, time off from work for all-day commitments at the DMV, owning a vehicle, etc. Most of the western world has figured this out -- voter registration is automatic.
    Yes, in my country all voters are automatically registered. But we have to present our ID at the moment of voting. Because having ID is simply mandatory for all citizens… how else you would prove that you’re the one with the right to votr, avoid multiple voting etc… drawing red mark with unwashable paint on voter’s forehead?
    What are the accepted forms of ID?  If it's a driver's licence, passport, and/or credit card, then it's biased towards people who have enough money/stature to get those.  Here in Canada, it's free for any person who can prove residency (or was born here) to get a provincial health care card.  A health card can be used as ID.  It's also possible to have someone with valid ID sign a document which vouches for your identity.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 40
    XedXed Posts: 2,580member
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:

You're asking how creating voter laws that are purposely designed to restrict the votes of minorities could possibly reduce their ability to vote? If that's a head scratcher to you then maybe you shouldn't vote.

PS: Next time why don't you bring up how gerrymandering is perfectly fine so long as it benefits your party.
    How are these changes specifically targeting minorities? How are white people immune to any impact of these changes? Please list out where these changes are minority impacting only - I'll wait, but please don't attempt to list anything that's related to socioeconomics because those same factors effect white people as well…
    If you were sincere you would be able to do your own research for the exact question you asked.

https://www.aclu.org/other/oppose-voter-id-legislation-fact-sheet
    muthuk_vanalingamITGUYINSDfastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 40
    The possible settlement would be for Texas caucasians only I presume based upon their restrictions on voting impacting mostly non-whites.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    NinjaMan said:

The whole Russian thing was was debunked
    Nope.  There's your problem.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 40
    bluefire1 said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    Thank you for a common sense response. Securing the integrity of our elections should be a priority for every American. Infantilizing voters by arguing they can’t possibly be expected to have  ID to vote is a disservice to everyone. 
    You need ID to buy alcohol, open a bank account, apply for welfare, apply for food stamps, buy a cell phone, apply for Medicaid/Social Security, get married, adopt a pet, drive, buy or rent a car, pick up prescriptions, buy certain cold medicines-the list goes on and on. It’s no wonder that 3/4 of Americans support voter ID laws.
    Try to follow along.  80% of Americans support voter ID.  Why do you think that people that accuse TX of voter suppression is only talking about requiring voter ID?
    How about removing all but one ballot drop boxes from one of the largest (and highly minority) counties in TX?  ONE box for millions of people.  How about gerrymandering the boundaries so that Republican counties become VERY Republican.  Could go on and on about all the changes your state is making, but it's all out there for you to read... just not on FOX.

Just watched an interview of some woman in TX whose ballot was just rejected because she didn't use the same ID as when she originally registered 46 years ago!  Who remembers if they used a drivers license or SSN 46 or 50 or 60 years ago? 
    edited February 2022 Xedfastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 40
    ITGUYINSD said:
    bluefire1 said:
    F_Kent_D said:
    Try to follow along.  80% of Americans support voter ID.  Why do you think that people that accuse TX of voter suppression is only talking about requiring voter ID?
    How about removing all but one ballot drop boxes from one of the largest (and highly minority) counties in TX?  ONE box for millions of people.  How about gerrymandering the boundaries so that Republican counties become VERY Republican.  Could go on and on about all the changes your state is making, but it's all out there for you to read... just not on FOX.

Just watched an interview of some woman in TX whose ballot was just rejected because she didn't use the same ID as when she originally registered 46 years ago!  Who remembers if they used a drivers license or SSN 46 or 50 or 60 years ago? 
    It's interesting that pretty every case of voter fraud in this country (which affects the vote by such a small degree that it's a waste of taxpayer money to add even more "safe guards") are usually by Republican voters. Now, I'm sure they simply felt they were leveling the playing field a bit after being lied to about rampant voter fraud by Democrats, but it's still atypically high amongst Republicans within the very small number of actual cases.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/21/politics/fact-check-republicans-voter-fraud-kirk-hartle/index.html
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nevada-man-voter-fraud-ballot-dead-wife
    edited February 2022 muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 40

Hopefully illegal immigrants would not be eligible for any of that money.
    Another white nationalist worried that immigrants are stealing his government handouts?

Why do the admins allow these trash posts? 

Xedfastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 40
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,055member
    F_Kent_D said:

Texas's incompetent governor Abbot removed ballot drop-off boxes in heavily populated, Democrat-voting districts. This is 100% gaming the system. That's how the GOP rolls and it's not even a secret.

As for relevant location, I’m in the state right next to TX and follow its news. My state housed refugees from TX when its power grid failed because it was cold out, while the state’s senator fled to Mexico then blamed it on his kids.
    Not taking sides with TX voting bills one way of another but ........ 

owning a firearm is a right, so it is unconstitutional to require ID to buy a gun (legally) in the US? Why isn't gun ownership automatic, if it's a right? 

EVERY right is and can be "regulated". Even ones right to free speech has limitations imposed on it, by the government.  

The Constitutional right to vote is no more free of government regulations, than the Constitutional right to own a firearm. Both can be regulated by the government.   

For example, get convicted for a felony and in nearly every State, one loses the right to vote, (at least while incarcerated), as they would also lose the right to legally own a firearm, for the rest of their life. ( A handful of States do restore right to own a firearm, if conviction was for a non-violent felony.)  
    williamlondoncat52
  • Reply 33 of 40
    crowley said:
    NinjaMan said:

it wasn't debunked??? how do you figure? the crying was all about how Trump colluded with Russia which was found to be false and that HC bought fake information...
    williamlondoncat52
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:

How are these changes specifically targeting minorities? How are white people immune to any impact of these changes? Please list out where these changes are minority impacting only - I'll wait, but please don't attempt to list anything that's related to socioeconomics because those same factors effect white people as well…
    If you were sincere you would be able to do your own research for the exact question you asked.

Nothing is preventing people from getting IDs, period. If someone doesn't have an ID it's not because their race held them back, it was a choice not to...sorry, but I have no issue with requiring IDs to vote otherwise what prevent someone from going in and voting as multiple people, including people who have passed, which was found to be an actual problem. If there were legit laws or anything else that specifically stopped minorities from obtaining IDs I would 100% support that these voting law changes are racists, but not having one is a choice...
    cat52
  • Reply 35 of 40
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:

Oops. I linked to article from CNN. I guess that means it's automatically all "fake news". ߙ䦬t;/div>

Nothing is preventing people from getting IDs, period. If someone doesn't have an ID it's not because their race held them back, it was a choice not to...sorry, but I have no issue with requiring IDs to vote otherwise what prevent someone from going in and voting as multiple people, including people who have passed, which was found to be an actual problem. If there were legit laws or anything else that specifically stopped minorities from obtaining IDs I would 100% support that these voting law changes are racists, but not having one is a choice…
    And my grandfather could also buy a house if he wanted… he just didn't have an option for a GI Bill after the war, he was redlined to live in most neighborhoods, and would both get the price raised on him for buying and lowered for selling? I suppose you also think that's all fair because if you jump through all the right hoops in all the right way you are technically allowed to do something. I love how privileged bigots think that because there is a goal that it makes it obtainable even while they keep putting more and more obstacles in the way of an already uneven playing field.

24 voting gone… and it's just a coincidence it's mostly used by black and Latino voters.
    Drive-thru voting gone… and it's just a coincidence it's mostly used by black and Latino voters.
    A change on which IDs are valid…  and it's just a coincidence it's removes ones used by black and latino voters.

It's all just a big coincidence.z

Voting in this country is suppose to be a right, but you frame it as a privilege with extra steps when you say that an octogenarian who is on a fixed budget and needs oxygen to survive needs to find a way and the time to get down to the DMV to get an updated license just to be able to vote because their expired one will keep them from voting is just keep racism alive and well in the US without calling it by that name. Either you fully onboard or just ignorant, but you are complicit.
    edited February 2022 muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    NinjaMan said:
    crowley said:
    NinjaMan said:

it wasn't debunked??? how do you figure? the crying was all about how Trump colluded with Russia which was found to be false and that HC bought fake information...
    And you're basing this on what?  The Muller report said something quite different.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 40
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,055member
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:

Oops. I linked to article from CNN. I guess that means it's automatically all "fake news". ߙ䦬t;/div>

Nothing is preventing people from getting IDs, period. If someone doesn't have an ID it's not because their race held them back, it was a choice not to...sorry, but I have no issue with requiring IDs to vote otherwise what prevent someone from going in and voting as multiple people, including people who have passed, which was found to be an actual problem. If there were legit laws or anything else that specifically stopped minorities from obtaining IDs I would 100% support that these voting law changes are racists, but not having one is a choice…
    And my grandfather could also buy a house if he wanted… he just didn't have an option for a GI Bill after the war, he was redlined to live in most neighborhoods, and would both get the price raised on him for buying and lowered for selling? I suppose you also think that's all fair because if you jump through all the right hoops in all the right way you are technically allowed to do something. I love how privileged bigots think that because there is a goal that it makes it obtainable even while they keep putting more and more obstacles in the way of an already uneven playing field.

24 voting gone… and it's just a coincidence it's mostly used by black and Latino voters.
    Drive-thru voting gone… and it's just a coincidence it's mostly used by black and Latino voters.
    A change on which IDs are valid…  and it's just a coincidence it's removes ones used by black and latino voters.

Voting in this country is suppose to be a right, but you frame it as a privilege with extra steps when you say that an octogenarian who is on a fixed budget and needs oxygen to survive needs to find a way and the time to get down to the DMV to get an updated license just to be able to vote because their expired one will keep them from voting is just keep racism alive and well in the US without calling it by that name. Either you fully onboard or just ignorant, but you are complicit.
    In nearly every State, in order to exercise ones right to vote, one must first register to vote. And guess what one needs when registering to vote .... some form of ID. Preferably a photo ID. Are you also going to cry out "racist" for that too? (ND do not require registration to vote but must present a valid ID when voting.)

About 50% of the people that votes, now vote by mail. Voting by mail have been increasing every year for over a decade and significantly increased during the pandemic. There's no indication that it will decrease in the years ahead. The polling place is not the only way for one to exercise their right to vote. Every State offers some form of absentee ballot. No need to show an ID to fill out your ballot. No need to find a "drive thru". No need for 24 drop boxes. No need to even leave your home as the ballot is mailed to you and there is no checking for ID when placing your mail-in ballot in the USPS mail box, so anyone can mail it for you.

The ID required at the polling place is not implemented to prevent one from casting their own vote, it implemented to prevent one from voting more than once while using some one else's name.  

If Blacks and Latinos are more affected by requiring ID at the polling place because they have a more difficult time obtaining ID, then steps should be taken to ensure that Blacks and Latinos can more easily obtain an ID. Not stop requiring ID at the polling place or when registering to vote. It is much easier to go through life without ever having to vote, than it is to go through life without having some form of valid ID. Only about 60% of eligible voters vote. And not in all elections. Not requiring ID at the polling place because Black and Latinos have a more difficult time obtaining an ID, is not the solution to the real problem of why do Blacks and Latinos have a more difficult time obtaining an ID.   

cat52williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 40
    NinjaMan said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:

I love how people pretend like rampant voter fraud is an actual problem that needs solving (it isn't) and that further restricting voting is a necessary step to further secure elections (it isn't). It's well documented who these restrictions overwhelmingly target, and which side is responsible for instigating these bullshit pieces of legislation. There is no data to support the allegations of voter fraud as we've seen over and over again. You're either being willfully obtuse to support your indefensible position on the subject, or you're an abject moron.
    Seriously??? Going in to the 2020 election all we heard about was ensuring against fraudulent voting and Russian influence the same way we saw in the 2016 election. Even after the election CNN and MSNBC were talking about how, even though Biden won, we shouldn't assume that Russia wasn't still making attempts to swing the vote to Trump again like they did in 2016... The whole Russian thing was was debunked, but they still ran and continue to run with that narrative. 2016 to 2020 all you head about what how fraudulent the election was and off the back of this believed notion of fake Facebook ads measures where put in place to guard against it ever happening again. 
    YES, seriously. Let's start with where you heard all this talk of "fraudulent voting" from *some people*. There is no significant amount of voter fraud in the United States as has been proven over and over again — see the numerous failed lawsuits, audits, so forth. It's a false narrative, and the only people perpetuating this lie are Republicans trying to game the system. Ironic that the majority of the very few examples of voter fraud that have been unearthed through all this have been Republicans.

Russia absolutely interfered with the election. 100%. There are thousands of pages between the Mueller Report and research papers on the subject which clearly outline a "sweeping and systematic" effort to interfere. There were 26 indictments of Russian Nationals and three Russian organizations. The Republican-led Senate Intelligence Committee concluded that the January 2017 intelligence community assessment alleging Russian interference was "coherent and well-constructed". The Committee report found that the Russian government had engaged in an "extensive campaign" to sabotage the election in favor of Trump, which included assistance from some of Trump's own advisers.

Here's a 101 page report on "
    The Tactics & Tropes of the Internet Research Agency"
    https://archive.org/details/TacticsAndTropesOfTheInternetResearchAgency/mode/2up

Here's another 40 pages or so entitled "The IRA, Social Media and Political Polarization in the United States, 2012-2018"
    https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1004&context=senatedocs

You should read these, they're fascinating. And the Mueller Report, which you can even get on audiobook on Audible for free — I did. 

None of this has been "debunked". The election was never "fraudulent" by any stretch of the imagination. Again, I think this has more to do with where you get your information, which is your problem — not mine.
    Xedwilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 40
    davidw said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:

In nearly every State, in order to exercise ones right to vote, one must first register to vote. And guess what one needs when registering to vote .... some form of ID. Preferably a photo ID. Are you also going to cry out "racist" for that too? (ND do not require registration to vote but must present a valid ID when voting.)

About 50% of the people that votes, now vote by mail. Voting by mail have been increasing every year for over a decade and significantly increased during the pandemic. There's no indication that it will decrease in the years ahead. The polling place is not the only way for one to exercise their right to vote. Every State offers some form of absentee ballot. No need to show an ID to fill out your ballot. No need to find a "drive thru". No need for 24 drop boxes. No need to even leave your home as the ballot is mailed to you and there is no checking for ID when placing your mail-in ballot in the USPS mail box, so anyone can mail it for you.

The ID required at the polling place is not implemented to prevent one from casting their own vote, it implemented to prevent one from voting more than once while using some one else's name.  

If Blacks and Latinos are more affected by requiring ID at the polling place because they have a more difficult time obtaining ID, then steps should be taken to ensure that Blacks and Latinos can more easily obtain an ID. Not stop requiring ID at the polling place or when registering to vote. It is much easier to go through life without ever having to vote, than it is to go through life without having some form of valid ID. Only about 60% of eligible voters vote. And not in all elections. Not requiring ID at the polling place because Black and Latinos have a more difficult time obtaining an ID, is not the solution to the real problem of why do Blacks and Latinos have a more difficult time obtaining an ID.  
    Cool victim blaming. Guess what, it also affects old white people, too. This literally popped up a bit ago while I was reading the latest in this thread:

Texas voting law results in 95-year-old World War II vet's application being rejected — twice
    https://www.rawstory.com/texas-voter-suppression-2656692443/

These measures are straight up voter suppression, whether you want to blame the victims' inability to compensate for it or not. Their plan is very clear — Declare rampant voter fraud in the absence of any evidence, and announce legislation to suppress the vote in key areas in conjunction with very carefully engineered gerrymandering to change the outcome of future elections for the GOP. There's no other reason to make it harder to vote, no matter how much you bend over backwards to defend this strategy.
    Xedmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 40
    davidw said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    NinjaMan said:
    Xed said:
    F_Kent_D said:

You say that all states allow absentee voting. I'm guessing you know that despite your Alex Jonesian rhetoric you know that' not the same as all states let everyone vote by mail without question or reason. While absentee voting is probably voting by mail, maili-in isn't necessary absentee and is very likely not to be. Texas. specifically, has rules for who can do apply for an absentee ballot. If you're 18 to 65yo and working within your county you are not allowed to vote absentee…  and as already stated Texas is trying to make that even more restrictive.  Nice try, but you'll have to at least do better than DiCaprio using Phrenology to make a justification for the way things are.
    edited February 2022 fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon