Dell Computer, Fry's Electronics and Micro Center All Re-up With Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Last week Dell, Fry's and Micro Center said they were dropping Apple products. This week, they've come to a new agreement with Apple. Dell says the iPod wil return to their site shortly (or perhaps the new models by the end of the month?).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Do you have a link to an article on this? Any word on Target?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Neat.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple has a terrible habit of fvcking their retail partners in the ass with old stock just before they release neew stuff. I've seen this happen to my old campus store and online retailers enough over the past 3-4 years. Nobody falls for it anymore. Most Apple resellers are now very cautious about what Apple products they carry and how late into their lifespan they deem to keep them in stock for immediate delivery.

You can bet that Dell, Fry's and Micro Center ALL balked at the kinds of moves that Apple likes to pull to stick retail partners with old models without credit or discount. I'm sure with new models on the horizon, Apple had to make a better deal for their retail parteners or shove off. YOu can bet that Dell isn't getting stuck with old iPods (unless he can get them a great price)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hmm... kind of related... Elite Computers has just shut down, and filed a $5 million dollar lawsuit against Apple, citing breach of contract, unfair competition, false advertising and fraud.

Article at MacNN here.

I think these were the guys who almost shut down last fall and were complaining about Apple contacting their customers and luring them away. They ended up staying afloat...

I guess they'll be going into some other ventures if they cash in for 5 mill.

• Reply 6 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    ...of course 5 million bucks would buy plenty of beer and hookers. Who's to say?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Murbot, not quite. Elite Computers has always been a shady operation despite being located right across from Apple HQ. There was another retailer which I liked very much called ComputerWare (MacSource). When the first Apple Stores appeared, ComputerWare immediately shut down. They didn't want to compete. That's understandable.

However, Elite bought the ComputerWare name and several of its locations. At least the original ComputerWare ownership bowed out gracefully.

And is anybodly realy surprised that Dell, MicroCenter and Fry's re-signed their contracts?