FDA approves first iOS app to control insulin pump

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2022
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has cleared the first iOS and Android app capable of controlling a user's insulin pump.

The app, t:connect, can be used in conjunction with Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc's t:slim X2 insulin pump. The FDA-approved version allows a user to program and cancel bolus insulin requests through the convenience of their compatible smartphone.

The t:connect app previously allowed users to view their pump information on their iPhone. The app shows the last 24 hours of glucose trends, pump status changes, and insulin therapy data.

The t:connect app requires iOS 14 or later and currently is compatible with the t:slim X2 insulin pump.

Those who are curious about the Tandem Diabetes system are encouraged to download the t:simulator app, which allows a user to test drive Tandem's touchscreen interface of the t:slim X2 insulin pump and preview the t:connect companion app's functions.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This is amazing news! I'm the medical director of a clinic for kids with chronic health problems that aren't responding to regular treatment, and we get a ton of kids with diabetes that have a very difficult time with diabetes management. This will help immensely to ease the psychological burden that contributes to kids shutting down and ignoring their diabetes management. This will save a lot of kids from a lot of hospitalizations for DKA.
    gregoriusmfreeassociate2qwerty52watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 4
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    One more step forward in the struggle with insulin dependent diabetes....
    People who can't produce (enough) insulin need all the help we (or Apple) can give them.

Now all we have to do is make it so they can afford the insulin they need to stay alive without forcing them to move to another country.
    qwerty52jroywatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 4
    One more step forward in the struggle with insulin dependent diabetes....
    People who can't produce (enough) insulin need all the help we (or Apple) can give them.

Now all we have to do is make it so they can afford the insulin they need to stay alive without forcing them to move to another country.

And now, an Apple Watch able to measure the blood sugar level……..
    jroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I’m curious about how the FDA app approval process works, and more specifically how much Apple’s ability to maintain iOS as a “trusted platform” factors into the approval process- or whether it matters at all. 

There’s part of me that sees this as validation for Apple maintaining and controlling the integrity of its platform, i.e., prohibiting back doors and side loading, but then I see that the FDA approved an Android version of the app as well, so I’m still scratching my head about whether FDA approval means much of anything for end users. 
    GeorgeBMacjroywatto_cobraFileMakerFeller