wmfwmf
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Something for y'all to drool over.

http://www.forcecomputers.com/produc...&productID=189

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Let me just say something to get it out of the way...

DAMN YOU MOT!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Who cares about Mot.

Bring on the 970's! <drool>
  • Reply 3 of 24
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

Who cares about Mot.

I don't. But I figured it would be brought up at some point.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    No mention (that I saw) of when it ships. If it is shipping now then that means Moto is already shipping these processors, which means Apple can probably use them too (the 7457 won't be far behind, if at all).
  • Reply 5 of 24
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Am I right that a [email protected] is not any faster than the current [email protected]? Does it run cooler? Since it is the same MPX at 100/133MHz, does it make any sense for Apple at this point?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Some additional information:

PowerPMC-280s will be available through Force?s Early Access Unit (EAU) program in Q2 of 2003. [From http://www1.internetwire.com/iwire/r...lease_id=52218]

Motorola also announced availability of its latest and fastest G4 PowerPC(TM)

host processor family chips [From http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2003,+05:15+PM]
  • Reply 7 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    7447s have 512K of L2 cache. Now AMD would have you believe it means quite a bit because they changed their Quantispeed scale over it.

In AMD land:

2.167 GHz + 256K L2 cache = Athlon XP 2700+

2.167 GHz + 512K L2 cache = Athlon XP 3000+
  • Reply 8 of 24
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    So, probably, Apple isn't buying them. If the PPC970 rumours hold true, Apple might prefer 970 for most of their models. Is there still a chance that 7447s go to PowerBooks (or if PowerBooks get 970, to iBooks) or Apple will wait for 7457?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    7447 and 7457 will be available at the same time. Apple will probably use eventually (iBooks, iMacs and Powerbooks initially is mu educated guess) them since they draw but a fraction of the power that 970 will draw, is equally cooler and it will probably be substatially cheaper also.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Topic: Somebody has a dual 1.3GHz 7447... but it's not Apple

So wrong. The Xserve only comes in 1.33 Ghz configurations!

[Edit:] Chip, schmip... 7445, sch7447... Never mind..

But they DO have 1.33 Ghz anyway..
  • Reply 11 of 24
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Just an other indication that Apple has lost interest in Motorola
  • Reply 12 of 24
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    This means nothing to Apple. Motorola has other customers than Apple, quite a few actually and Apple probably isn't even the largest. These boards are intended to ship to Force's Early Access Customers Q2 this year wich is pretty much in line with what Motorola said concerning the availability of the 7447/7457.

Apple seem to have one perk though. They can get processors clocked much higher that other customers. These draw much power and gets to hot for Motorola's other customers but Apple doesn't seem to mind. The 7455 is available at 1 GHz, but Apple obviously gets 1.42 GHz rated 7455. If Motorola sells 7447/7457 at 1.3 GHz to regular customers.. Apple just might get processors rated much higher.

I wouldn't be perticularly surprised if Apple gets processors rated at 1.8 GHz from Motorola this fall. But then again.. they probably will get 970 rated at 1.8 GHz too.. and 970 eats 7457 any way you look at it, save power consumption.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Apple is probably either accumulating quantities of the chip or waiting for Mot to ramp up production (or both). I figure they'll use it in notebooks, and they'll use standard parts, not special high-voltage parts.

I have a feeling that we've seen the last G4 PowerMac.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

This means nothing to Apple. Motorola has other customers than Apple, quite a few actually and Apple probably isn't even the largest.

The difference is that Apple usually gets announcement rights for new chips from Motorola. If they are used in Macs, that is. Might these 74x7 chips never be used in Macs? Hmm...
  • Reply 15 of 24
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think you're right. These do not exceed the speeds of the current G4's, but they do offer a smaller cooler package, more L2, and IIRC, should also make slight bumps to MPX and stretch the top end to 1.8Ghz. Not a bad notebook chip, I think. And there should also be L3 capable 7457's.

I wonder then, if PB's will feature 1.33Ghz-1.8Ghz G4's or PPC970's. Supplies of both are likely to be slim, and the towers need the POWER more than the books. hmmm...

I keep thinking that the 17 will get a 970 and the 15 and 12 will get the fastest .13u G4's, at least untill supplies increase.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    well, we can now welcome motorola to the .13micron CPU party. what?, almost a year and a half late? To bad the party is almost over and the .09micron party is about to beginning.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PowerPC

well, we can now welcome motorola to the .13nm CPU party. what?, almost a year and a half late? To bad the party is almost over and the .09nm party is about to beginning.

FYI, if Mot's shipping on .13nm, they've just left the industry in the dust.

I think you mean .13 micron, which is 130nm. But yes, they're about 2 years late, so one can only hope that they're ready to move quickly to .09 micron or they're in deep trouble.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

FYI, if Mot's shipping on .13nm, they've just left the industry in the dust.

I think you mean .13 micron, which is 130nm. But yes, they're about 2 years late, so one can only hope that they're ready to move quickly to .09 micron or they're in deep trouble.

ah yes. Good catch. I will go back and edit.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Could the reason for 1.3GHz being the maximum speed be that Apple has agreed to buy all the chips faster than that? Remember that Apple had G4s at 1.25GHz when official Moto docs stated the max speed was 1GHz... IIRC, our best guesses were that Apple had contracted with Moto to buy all the G4s they could produce over 1GHz, so Moto never bothered to update their docs. Why advertise something you've already sold?

Just a thought.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I'm curious how the performance of one of these with 512k level 2 cache and no level 3 cache would compare to the current chips Apple is using. If the larger level 2 cache is as much of a boost as AMD would have us believe, Apple could drop the level 3 cache and get a good cost/heat reduction for ibooks and such.