Nearly every Mac rumored to see an update in 2022

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2022
Apple will be bringing out a minimum of seven Mac models with Apple Silicon, with a large-screened iMac Pro and a revamp of the Mac Pro among the inbound updates.

Renders of an updated Mac mini, MacBook Air, and iMac

Apple is on a self-imposed two-year transition from Intel processors to its own Apple Silicon, by the end of 2022. In a bid to complete the shift, Apple has to make a few more changes to its product range, alongside its normal upgrades to existing models.

For 2022, Apple could launch at least seven new Mac models across its range, according to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg. Along with items that could surface during a spring event, Gurman lists Mac models that should appear across the entire year.

Gurman's list chiefly includes models using the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, as well as the anticipated new generation M2 chip. An upgraded M1 Max is also tipped for use in 2022.

The Mac mini is anticipated to have a redesigned case with a plexiglass-like top cover and more Thunderbolt ports on the back.

The list of models includes a Mac mini updated with the M1 Pro chip, accompanied by a second with an M2 chip. They will be joined by a 13-inch MacBook Pro and a redesigned MacBook Air with the M2 chip.

Gurman also speculates an updated 24-inch iMac is on the way with an M2 chip, as well as the rumored enlarged iMac Pro, packing M1 Pro and M1 Max chip variants. Lastly, the rumored Mac Pro refresh with Apple Silicon and a smaller enclosure is set to include chips that will offer the equivalent power of two or four M1 Max chips.

There probably won't be a version of the larger iMac with entry-level specifications, Gurman offers, reasoning that Apple could've offered just that around the time of its 24-inch refresh as an alternate size option.

It is reckoned the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the Mac mini are the best candidates for an update in the spring, as they are "two of the oldest Apple Silicon Macs in the lineup today," writes Gurman.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Although I understand that pro & max versions of M1 will maintain an edge over “vanilla” M2, if I were Mac marketing I would want to avoid the confusion and try to not introduce new M1 pro/max models AFTER the introduction of first M2.
     I'm also hoping that the larger iMac is not limited to a pricy “pro” version.  I don’t mind the nomenclature, but I want this form factor with a solid edge over M1 24” and under $3k. I suspect there are many with me.
    Although the development time from M1 intro to the pro/max was significant, I expect this release time for the expanded versions of M base will be closer in the future, and keep generational developments and model lineups cleaner moving forward.
    freeassociate2mike54mjtomlincgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Vermelho said:

I'm also hoping that the larger iMac is not limited to a pricy “pro” version.  I don’t mind the nomenclature, but I want this form factor with a solid edge over M1 24” and under $3k. I suspect there are many with me…

I predict an iMac Pro configuration at $2999 with 32GB ram and 1 TB storage, based on Apple’s 14” MacBook Pro minimum configuration. The prices will escalate from there! :)

edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Release the Damn computers Apple……
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    jwdawso said:
    Vermelho said:

I'm also hoping that the larger iMac is not limited to a pricy “pro” version.  I don’t mind the nomenclature, but I want this form factor with a solid edge over M1 24” and under $3k. I suspect there are many with me…
    I predict an iMac Pro configuration at $2999 with 32GB ram and 1 TB storage, based on Apple’s 14” MacBook Pro minimum configuration. The prices will escalate from there! :)

Likewise, I just want a ‘normal’ 27” iMac!
    Anilu_777entropyspatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Someone in one of the other threads pointed out that Apple uses Max in their iPhone marketing. Thus,

iPhone : iPhone Pro : iPhone Pro Max
    iMac : iMac Pro : iMac Pro Max

iPad : iPad Air : iPad Pro (2)
    MacBook : MacBook Air : MacBook Pro (2)

Mac Mini : Mac Mini Pro : Mac Pro

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Someone in one of the other threads pointed out that Apple uses Max in their iPhone marketing. Thus,

Wouldn't that suggest a 24 iMac with and M1 Pro or M2 Pro then a larger screen model that is $200 more. 
    Hey not knocking it sounds like a winner to me. 

I do wonder if we'll see M2 with M2 Pro and M2 Max at the first event in the iMacs but not in the MacbookPros till later in the year give them a chance to build up a supply of units that test well for the smaller power and heat envelop or even move to better process. 
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Vermelho said:
    Although I understand that pro & max versions of M1 will maintain an edge over “vanilla” M2, if I were Mac marketing I would want to avoid the confusion and try to not introduce new M1 pro/max models AFTER the introduction of first M2.
     I'm also hoping that the larger iMac is not limited to a pricy “pro” version.  I don’t mind the nomenclature, but I want this form factor with a solid edge over M1 24” and under $3k. I suspect there are many with me.
    Although the development time from M1 intro to the pro/max was significant, I expect this release time for the expanded versions of M base will be closer in the future, and keep generational developments and model lineups cleaner moving forward.
    This M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, M2 lineup is confusing. Will the M2 be more or less powerful than the M1 Pro/Max or what will be the difference between them?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Vermelho said:
    This M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, M2 lineup is confusing. Will the M2 be more or less powerful than the M1 Pro/Max or what will be the difference between them?

It won’t be confusing. People don’t buy M1 Pro or an M2, they buy a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro… to a consumer the product will define the performance not the SoC.

williamlondonpatchythepiratecgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Vermelho said:

The M1 is the “transitional” SoC. I don’t think we’ll see an M2 until all M1 variants have at least been announced. M1 Ultra this Summer in the iMac Pro. M1 Extreme announced this Summer and released in the Mac Pro in the Fall.

The “normal” 27” iMac will use the M1 Pro and Max. It will not be a “Pro” system.

Here’s what I think the release timeline might be…

Summer 2022, M1 Ultra
    Fall 2022, M2, M1 Extreme
    Spring 2023, M2 Pro/Max
    Fall 2023, M3
    Summer 2024 M2 Ultra/Extreme
    Fall 2024, M4
    Spring 2025, M4 Pro/Max
    Fall 2025, M5
    Summer 2026 M4 Ultra/Extreme
    etc…
    edited February 2022 cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    mattinoz said:

Wouldn't that suggest a 24 iMac with and M1 Pro or M2 Pro then a larger screen model that is $200 more. 
    I was thinking more 24 : 27 XDR : 32 XDR

I also think Apple is going to do something interesting with graphics in the desktop SoCs. 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    While I agree with MjTomlin that it would make sense to first completely populate the line up with M1s, Apple does need to beat the latest 12th gen  i9 based machines.
    And in future, I would see one release date each year and the lot get the equivalent gen update at once. It’s just a SOC.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    entropys said:
    While I agree with MjTomlin that it would make sense to first completely populate the line up with M1s, Apple does need to beat the latest 12th gen  i9 based machines.
    And in future, I would see one release date each year and the lot get the equivalent gen update at once. It’s just a SOC.
    I would have thought there would be an array of changes they'd want to make to the SOC design to get to the full product line. I which case it would seem to me to worth rolling them out over a few generations to offset development cost but also let them reduce risk.  Desktops like the iMac give them a bit more freedom then MacBookPro wait for say another process improvement.

tenthousandthings
    said:
    mattinoz said:

I also think Apple is going to do something interesting with graphics in the desktop SoCs. 
    If they keep case sizing and expanded the screen to 29.5inch would a 32 inch model still have the market?
    Still 24 :28 :32 is neat set of option.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Havetenthousandthings said:

Having a MacBook and a MacBook Air doesn't make sense anymore, since they are almost the exact size and weight. The difference is so small it's basically an illusion as this point. The curved shell of the Air is not very efficient for the components or the battery. The only important selling point of the Air is really its name.
    watto_cobracat52
  • Reply 14 of 29
    mattinoz said:

If they keep case sizing and expanded the screen to 29.5inch would a 32 inch model still have the market?
    Yes, 28 would make for a neat symmetry with the MBP, as 14x2=28 and 16x2=32, but alas the rumors have consistently said 27 for a while now.

As fun as a Mini Pro or a Pro Max would be, I think the big question is whether or not Apple is going to get back into the Thunderbolt Display market. 
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29

Having a MacBook and a MacBook Air doesn't make sense anymore, since they are almost the exact size and weight. The difference is so small it's basically an illusion as this point. The curved shell of the Air is not very efficient for the components or the battery. The only important selling point of the Air is really its name.
    Maybe so, but much the same can be said for the iPad : iPad Air. The MacBook Air will get a redesign, possibly in a few weeks (I don't imagine the M2 will come so soon, but it's possible, and welcome), with colors and a sharp stylistic differentiation from the basic entry-level MacBook. Just like the current iPad Air versus the entry-level iPad. So "Air" will also mean colors. 

I don't know when or if an entry-level MacBook will ever reappear, but I think there's a place for it in Apple's lineup, just like there's a place for the basic iPad, at nearly half the price of the iPad Air. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Nige321 said:
    jwdawso said:
    Vermelho said:

Likewise, I just want a ‘normal’ 27” iMac!
    I too would like to see a ‘normal’ but larger iMac. I’ve been sitting here with a late 2013 27” iMac 14,2 patiently waiting for the upgrade. If the leakers are correct and there will only be a high end iMac Pro I will have to start considering a Mini with an external monitor (hopefully an Apple brand one). Of course a Mini with an Apple branded monitor may be in the same price range as a rumored iMac Pro.

I also understand that whenever Apple makes changes to a product line there is always a subset of users who believe Apple is obligated to continue the design they like. If the ‘normal’ iMac is going to be gone I will not be outraged and disappointed. I will examine the options available to me.

And I will predict that no new iMac will be announced at the rumored March 8 event.
    edited February 2022 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 29
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Remember just a couple of years ago there was much gnashing of teeth amidst demands here that Tim Cook resign because Apple had "abandoned" the Mac?

Yep.
    lkruppmike1watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 29
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member

Maybe so, but much the same can be said for the iPad : iPad Air. The MacBook Air will get a redesign, possibly in a few weeks (I don't imagine the M2 will come so soon, but it's possible, and welcome), with colors and a sharp stylistic differentiation from the basic entry-level MacBook. Just like the current iPad Air versus the entry-level iPad. So "Air" will also mean colors. 

I don't know when or if an entry-level MacBook will ever reappear, but I think there's a place for it in Apple's lineup, just like there's a place for the basic iPad, at nearly half the price of the iPad Air. 
    I wonder if the new MacBook Pro 13 could in fact be a MacBook in the old 13 Pro’s body. Just like they do with the SE and the iPad, they could reuse the old shell for a cheap option and reinstate the ‘good, better, best’ line up.

- iPhone: SE, 13, 13 Pro - budget option in old shell, colours and light/thin design for mid-range, fewer colours with performance focus and promotion at top-end. Previous 1/2 year’s phones retained to hit more price points.

- iPad: iPad, iPad Air, iPad Pro - budget option in old shell, colours and light/thin design for mid-range, fewer colours with performance focus and promotion at top-end

- MacBook: MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro - budget option in old shell (new 13 inch MacBook in current 13 inch MacBook Pro shell), colours and light/thin design for mid-range (rumoured MacBook Air range), fewer colours with performance focus and promotion at top-end

- iMac (maybe): iMac 24, iMac 27/28, iMac Pro - colours and light/thin design for low & mid- consumer range, fewer colours with performance focus at top-end

- Mac: Mac Mini, Mac Mini Pro/Max, Mac Pro

Might be me focussing on line up and naming too much over pure sales but it would bring a nice clarity to the line which has been missing for a while.
    edited February 2022 patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    mattinoz said:
    entropys said:
    I would have thought there would be an array of changes they'd want to make to the SOC design to get to the full product line. I which case it would seem to me to worth rolling them out over a few generations to offset development cost but also let them reduce risk.  Desktops like the iMac give them a bit more freedom then MacBookPro wait for say another process improvement.

tenthousandthings
    said:
    mattinoz said:

A 42” iMac would have a sizable market across the world as would a desktop Mac similar to the old G4 dual cpu computer, but Apple refuses to make them…..
    edited February 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:
    entropys said:

tenthousandthings
    said:
    mattinoz said:

A 42” iMac would have a sizable market across the world as would a desktop Mac similar to the old G4 dual cpu computer, but Apple refuses to make them…..
    Huh?! In what world would people with enough desktop space or budget for a 42" screen be "sizeable" that would warrant making an all-in-one computer with that screen???

watto_cobrawilliamlondon