Apple supplier Luxshare wants to build new plants for wearables & electric cars

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple supplier Luxshare Precision Industry is planning on raising around $2 billion to fund new projects, such as production lines aimed at wearables like the Apple Watch, and some intended for smart vehicles.

Apple CEO Tim Cook at a Luxshare plant
Apple CEO Tim Cook at a Luxshare plant

The company plans to issue up to 2.1 billion to up to 35 investors at a price that will be disclosed later, Reuters has reported. With the share issue, Luxshare is aiming to raise up to 13.5 billion yuan.

Luxshare's move comes as the company is working to improve its production capacity in "downstream applications such as consumer electronics and smart vehicles," it said in a filing with the Shenzhen stock exchange that was seen by Reuters.

The six projects include new production lines aimed at smart wearable devices, mobile terminal components, and high-voltage connection systems for vehicles, the filing added.

Luxshare is a prominent Apple supply chain partner based in China known for producing the company's AirPods. In recent years, Luxshare has started winning more iPhone orders from Apple and is constructing a massive new "mega-plant" to challenge established Chinese rivals like Foxconn and Pegatron.

Earlier in February, reports also indicated that Luxshare plans on expanding into the electric vehicle market as rumors of Apple developing its own "Apple Car" continue to surface. Luxshare isn't planning on becoming a carmaker, however, and will likely focus on internal vehicular components.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Just want right to be right! 
    Foxconn are NOT an Chines company!! 
    Foxconn are Taiwanes company!

Taiwan does not belong to China, Taiwan is an independent democratic country!
    But Foxconn operate in China.

But all this you already new! So why write wrong!

• Reply 2 of 38
    I take it the new facilities will be in China and not the US
  • Reply 3 of 38
    kenan said:
    Just want right to be right! 
    Foxconn are NOT an Chines company!! 
    Foxconn are Taiwanes company!

But Foxconn operate in China.

But all this you already new! So why write wrong!

But Foxconn is a Chinese company. They currentlu belong to the Republic of China with their headquarter near Taipei. Although almost no country in the world (including the US) is recognizing the Republic of China and are only recognizing the People's Republic of China as the one China. It's pretty much Newspeak when politicians defend the island of Taiwan against the PRC. 
    GeorgeBMacFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I know: Analysts are always wrong when it comes to Apple. ...And I have always thought so. BUT, it has been on my mind for the last two years (and I finally heard the same with Jason Snell and John Gruber on podcast) that production in China will someday be a huge problem for Apple. China continues to cause more regional and world problems and postures throughout the Pacific, and no doubt will indeed someday launch its military against Taiwan. No analyst nor Apple exec has even hinted that Apple has a plan for when the shooting starts or the trade penalties hit high gear for ALL of Chinese production. From MacBooks to iPhones and practically all Apple hardware, there is no other place to pick up ALL that production with even one year warning. So, producing NEW categories of Apple hardware in China too? Dang unnerving. Even if Foxconn were Taiwanese-owned, most Foxconn facilities are in an ever increasingly hostile China.
    edited February 2022 blastdoor
  • Reply 5 of 38
    javair said:
    I know: Analysts are always wrong when it comes to Apple. ...And I have always thought so. BUT, it has been on my mind for the last two years (and I finally heard the same with Jason Snell and John Gruber on podcast) that production in China will someday be a huge problem for Apple. China continues to cause more regional and world problems and postures throughout the Pacific, and no doubt will indeed someday launch its military against Taiwan. No analyst nor Apple exec has even hinted that Apple has a plan for when the shooting starts or the trade penalties hit high gear for ALL of Chinese production. From MacBooks to iPhones and practically all Apple hardware, there is no other place to pick up ALL that production with even one year warning. So, producing NEW categories of Apple hardware in China too? Dang unnerving. Even if Foxconn were Taiwanese-owned, most Foxconn facilities are in an ever increasingly hostile China.
    Dang unnerving indeed. As things stand now, if China were to invade Taiwan, apple would go from a $3T company to maybe a $100B company overnight. Maybe worse than that. 

I wonder if the consequences are so horrifying to contemplate that TC and team simply don’t contemplate it. Maybe they figure that’s the day they retire.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 38
    kenan said:

That's what some secessionists / imperialists claim.  But its no more true than when Virginia claimed it was part of an independent nation from the U.S.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    javair said:

It's not China causing those problems.  The problems started with Trump and continue with Biden -- both are pushing for a second cold war.  Well, hopefully "cold".  We barely escaped mutual annihilation from the last one.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:
    Dang unnerving indeed. As things stand now, if China were to invade Taiwan, apple would go from a $3T company to maybe a $100B company overnight. Maybe worse than that. 

I wonder if the consequences are so horrifying to contemplate that TC and team simply don’t contemplate it. Maybe they figure that’s the day they retire.

If China is pushed to invade Taiwan, they won't bungle it like the U.S. does when it invades somebody.

It will be done swiftly and smoothly. And things will return to normal in short order.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    While Foxconn has a large investment of facilities in China (PRC) it has new plants in Vietnam, India, and land destined for plants in the US and is exploring Europe for manufacturing locations.
    Foxconn is distributing it’s locations for future contingencies.  Also, Apple does not single source most components nor assembly.  Remember that Tim Cook came to Apple in the late 1990’s as a supply chain guru, highly respected in industry. He, Jeff Williams (COO) and others are very strategic on future contingency plans for suppliers. Those contingencies include capabilities, political, economic, war, cost, embargoes, tariffs et al. 
  • Reply 10 of 38
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    kenan said:

That's what some secessionists / imperialists claim.  But its no more true than when Virginia claimed it was part of an independent nation from the U.S.
    Taiwan has never been governed by the PRC. Virginia absolutely was governed by the US.

a better analogy would be Puerto Rico. And if Puerto Rico wanted to be independent, they would be allowed independence.

but of course that’s not what PR wants, because the US isn’t a genocidal dictatorship .
  • Reply 11 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

If China is pushed to invade Taiwan, they won't bungle it like the U.S. does when it invades somebody.

It will be done swiftly and smoothly. And things will return to normal in short order.
    If China attempts to invade Taiwan it will likely be world war 3 and there will be nothing swift or smooth about it. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if your thinking is the same as CCP thinking, which means an invasion is all the more likely. 

• Reply 12 of 38
    While Foxconn has a large investment of facilities in China (PRC) it has new plants in Vietnam, India, and land destined for plants in the US and is exploring Europe for manufacturing locations.
    Foxconn is distributing it’s locations for future contingencies.  Also, Apple does not single source most components nor assembly.  Remember that Tim Cook came to Apple in the late 1990’s as a supply chain guru, highly respected in industry. He, Jeff Williams (COO) and others are very strategic on future contingency plans for suppliers. Those contingencies include capabilities, political, economic, war, cost, embargoes, tariffs et al. 
    That's true of Foxconn, but my impression was that Luxshare is Chinese, not Taiwanese -- but am I confused about that? 
  • Reply 13 of 38
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    blastdoor said:
    kenan said:

Taiwan has never been governed by the PRC. Virginia absolutely was governed by the US.

a better analogy would be Puerto Rico. And if Puerto Rico wanted to be independent, they would be allowed independence.

but of course that’s not what PR wants, because the US isn’t a genocidal dictatorship .
    Neither was Virginia governed by Whigs or Democrats.   But, like Taiwan, it was always part of the nation.

BTW, while the U.S. has not been a dictatorship (although we've had one who tried), it has been genocidal.

• Reply 14 of 38
    I thought this was going to be about growing bioengineered plants to use as a source for materials.

I need some sleep.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

If China attempts to invade Taiwan it will likely be world war 3 and there will be nothing swift or smooth about it. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if your thinking is the same as CCP thinking, which means an invasion is all the more likely. 

LOL....
    No, like Ukraine, if it incites war, Taiwan will be on its own.   But we'll be glad to sell them expensive weapons.

Good for us.   Not so good for them.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    kenan said:

Neither was Virginia governed by Whigs or Democrats.   But, like Taiwan, it was always part of the nation.

BTW, while the U.S. has not been a dictatorship (although we've had one who tried), it has been genocidal.

I don't think you know what genocide means. 
  • Reply 17 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....
    No, like Ukraine, if it incites war, Taiwan will be on its own.   But we'll be glad to sell them expensive weapons.

The US has never made any commitments to defend Ukraine. However, the US has made a commitment (albeit vague) to support Taiwan's defense (see the Taiwan Relations Act). 

Your framing, btw, is totally bizarre. Ukraine did not 'incite war.' Also, your earlier comment about China being "pushed" to invade Taiwan is absurd. How weak and pathetic you must imagine China to be if you think there is some force that could 'push' them to invade Taiwan? China is a big grown up country run by big grown up leaders. It will not be 'pushed' into starting a war. If China invades Taiwan, it will be China that is doing the 'pushing.' 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    kenan said:

It means murdering native populations and driving them from their lands in death marches.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    javair said:

LOL....

The US has never made any commitments to defend Ukraine. However, the US has made a commitment (albeit vague) to support Taiwan's defense (see the Taiwan Relations Act). 

Your framing, btw, is totally bizarre. Ukraine did not 'incite war.' Also, your earlier comment about China being "pushed" to invade Taiwan is absurd. How weak and pathetic you must imagine China to be if you think there is some force that could 'push' them to invade Taiwan? China is a big grown up country run by big grown up leaders. It will not be 'pushed' into starting a war. If China invades Taiwan, it will be China that is doing the 'pushing.' 

Ukraine and its allie have incited war by threatening Russia by saying they would allow NATO to move missiles, fighter planes, bombers and tanks (and probably other stuff) onto Russia's border.  There is no defense against that.  So, all Russia asked was that we and the Ukraine not threaten them that way.

When Russia did that same thing to us in 1960 we told them:  "Back down or we go to war".  They backed down and turned their ships around.

But, for some reason, when Russia said the same to us under the same circumstances, we ignored them.
    Stupid.  Very Stupid.  Especially for Biden who, like me, lived through that week of the Cuban Missile Crisis literally not knowing if we would live to see the end of the week.

When you put missiles on a country's border you threaten them -- so you should expect a response.  The precedent has been set.  It ain't rocket science.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 20 of 38
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    kenan said:

It means murdering native populations and driving them from their lands in death marches.
    Nope, wrong. Genocide means the intentional eradication of all people with a shared (or perceived to be shared) genotype. 

It’s thankfully a rare thing. There are many bad things that are not genocide. You’re likely thinking of some examples of bad things that are not genocide. It’s good to call out bad things, not good to make false equivalences.