AirTag clone developed by researchers works around Apple's anti-stalking measures

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    So a guy makes his own Bluetooth tracker without any of the security measures that Apple uses, and says that it’s Apples fault?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I built a clone of Lamborghini but with a 4 cylinder engine -- it doesn't go very fast.
    Does that mean real Lamborghini's aren't very fast?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    cia said:
    If you are honestly willing to jump through all these hoops to make a cloned AirTag, you REALLY have to want to make a cloned AirTag.

Instead of going through all those steps, you can just buy a cellular tracker off Amazon for under $100, pop in a pre-paid SIM (Bought with cash) and track someone that way.  No warnings ever.
    cia said:
    If you are honestly willing to jump through all these hoops to make a cloned AirTag, you REALLY have to want to make a cloned AirTag.

Instead of going through all those steps, you can just buy a cellular tracker off Amazon for under $100, pop in a pre-paid SIM (Bought with cash) and track someone that way.  No warnings ever.
    If you're technically inclined it sounds as if you just need to purchase two parts online and download a firmware into one of them.

Not all cellular trackers are specifically designed for stalking. So they likey won't rotate Bluetooth addresses like this will. Making them susceptible to apps like AirGuard.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Bosa said:
    Why is Apple Insider giving morons like this time of day?

check his bank account, likely connected to Samsung
    This is actually a good thing. Because the vulnerabilities in the Find My Network have been disclosed, Apple will want to patch them.

The result of this article is you may get an EVEN MORE SECURE Find My Network.

This kind of research happens all the time in the tech industry with some companies paying bounties when issues are found.

It's funny y'all are effectively reading a tech site and unaware of common practices in the tech industry.

Not everything has to be read from an "Apple bad" angle.
    edited February 2022 FileMakerFellerhighframerate
  • Reply 25 of 29
    So essentially, create a tracker that does not have any of the AirTags safety/ accountability features like a unique ID, association with an Apple ID and a speaker, and then use the available Find My network and claim that the AirTags safety features are not enough? 

Does the researcher know that the Find My network is available for any tracker?
    "Braunlein believes the main risk isn't in the AirTags themselves, "but in the introduction of the Find My ecosystem"

Did you even read the article. That's the problem. The Find My Network is too open.
    FileMakerFellerhighframerate
  • Reply 26 of 29
    leighr said:
    So a guy makes his own Bluetooth tracker without any of the security measures that Apple uses, and says that it’s Apples fault?
    "we hope that sharing this experiment will yield positive changes to the security and privacy of the Find My ecosystem." No... he's implying Apple needs to upgrade their Find My Network.
    FileMakerFellerhighframerate
  • Reply 27 of 29
    chadbag said:
    This has nothing to do with AirTags.  I wish AI would update their headline since it is incorrect. 

It does make for good Click Bait though 🤔
  • Reply 28 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So essentially, create a tracker that does not have any of the AirTags safety/ accountability features like a unique ID, association with an Apple ID and a speaker, and then use the available Find My network and claim that the AirTags safety features are not enough? 

Does the researcher know that the Find My network is available for any tracker?
    "Braunlein believes the main risk isn't in the AirTags themselves, "but in the introduction of the Find My ecosystem"

Did you even read the article. That's the problem. The Find My Network is too open.
    Unusual to hear that as a criticism of Apple.