Apple's iPhone 14 5G modem order likely to be completely fulfilled by TSMC

Posted:
in iPhone
Supply chain sources say that TSMC has won Apple's entire order for 5G modems to be used in the forthcoming "iPhone 14."

Credit: TSMC
Credit: TSMC

Apple has previously been rumored to want TSMC to make some of its "iPhone 14" 5G modems. Now a new report says that TSMC is not only making a proportion of 5G modems for Apple, it is to produce them all.

According to Economic Daily News (in translation), TSMC has "squeezed" Samsung out of the running to supply Apple.

Reportedly, TSMC would not confirm details of the order. However, unspecified sources within the supply industry have told the publication that the 5G modems will produced using TSMC's 6nm process.

It had been believed that Apple's design would use TSMC's 4nm process. And, rather than just the modem, the sources also claimed at the time that Apple is working on other connected components, including radio frequency and millimeter wave parts that connect to the modem itself, as well as a power management chip just for the modem.

Economic Daily News reports that TSMC's 6nm 5G modems should feature significantly reduced power consumption compared to the Qualcomm modems Apple now uses. That would result in battery savings with the next iPhone, over the current iPhone 13 range.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I thought that was some kind of train at first. What an odd design for your front gate.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I sense a whole new slew of lawsuits (for 5G patent infringement) being prepared right now. Buying technology from patent holders removes a whole heap of pain from the purchaser. You can't sue your customer for infringing your patents now, can you? (Don't answer that).

Now those patent holders will feel that they have a legitimate case. Being snubbed by Apple is more than enough cause to send in the lawyers with billions of $$$ in their eyes.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    Does this also mean it's a 5G radio designed by Apple? If so, will this be the first time it's used.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    crowley said:
    I thought that was some kind of train at first. What an odd design for your front gate.
    I think it looks cool 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    crowley said:
    Like a '60s sci-fi or future prediction design. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    Apple is just on it’s long term plan to cut Qualcomm out, ask Intel….
    watto_cobra