Microsoft Edge poised to overtake Safari as second biggest desktop browser

Posted:
in Mac Software
Microsoft is narrowing the gap between Edge and Apple's Safari as the second most-used desktop browser in the world, with a change in position potentially happening within months.

Icons for Safari and Edge browsers.

Web browsing is dominated by Google Chrome, with it being the most popular desktop browser by a huge margin. However, in the closely-fought battle for second place, Apple's Safari may soon lose its position to Microsoft Edge.

The replacement to the once-dominant Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge has slowly gained an audience, according to StatCounter's Desktop Browser Market Share charts. Over the last year, it has moved from a 7.81-percent share in January 2021 to 9.54 percent in January 2021.

While this has helped it overtake Firefox already, doing so in March 2021, Edge has gradually seen its share increase over time, with January's data showing it has a 9.54 percent share. By contrast, Safari has stayed relatively stable over time, with it currently at a 9.84 percent share.

If Edge continues to increase in usage, it could gain enough share to unseat Safari from second place, pushing it into third. That could also result in Safari becoming fourth, as a resurgence of Mozilla Firefox put its January percentage at 9.18, within a close range of both Edge and Safari.

StatCounter global desktop browser market share

For reference, Google Chrome reported a 65.38 percent share in January 2022, its lowest in the last 12 months following its high of 68.76 percent in June.

On a regional basis, Safari is ahead of Edge by roughly 5 percentage points for North America, giving it a healthy amount of space. In Asia, Microsoft already leads with 7.46 percent to 5.41 percent, while in Europe, Safari lags behind at 9.95 percent to Edge's 10.9 percent and Firefox's 10.92 percent.

While Edge is a danger to Safari on desktops, Safari still continues to enjoy a sizable audience on tablets and smartphones. When examining all platforms globally, Safari is second overall at 19.84 percent, behind Chrome at 63.06 percent and ahead of both Firefox and Edge, at 4.18 percent and 4.12 percent respectively.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I had to use it for work for a while.  It's ok, there really isn't much to choose between browsers in terms of functionality, save some small aesthetic preferences.  I liked Edge's vertical tabs, disliked its typically Microsoft mess of a settings menu.  I imagine its increase is largely due with enterprise upgrades rather than any actual mindset shift.

Safari on my MacBook Pro has issues with full screen video playback that causes lockups, so it's my second choice too, behind Brave.
    edited February 2022 muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 14
    7.81-percent share in January 2021 to 9.54 percent in January 2021
    2021 to 2022?
    Safari is second overall at 19.84 percent,
    9.84% ?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Safari and most other browsers have seemed to reached a plateau in terms of functionality. My only big complaint about Safari at this point is that the “Frequently Visited” links are either dead, not ever showing up, or dormant, never updating, on nearly all versions of macOS, iPadOS, and iOS. The fact that this feature is so thoroughly broken leads me to believe that it’s really a server side issue with iCloud syncing rather than the browser apps. It’s been in this state for nearly a year and widely reported online, but Apple doesn’t seem to be doing anything about it. I thought that it may be related to Private Relay but changing that setting does not make any difference. Even the latest dev betas are broken. The sad state of this feature alone has made me switch over to Firefox as my primary browser because its equivalent functionality works fine.
    davgregcropr
  • Reply 4 of 14

I remember when Safari used to have a windows version
     :s  

holmstockdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Huh!??
    My first thought is, how much money does Edge bring into Microsoft?
    My second thought is, Apple is too busy impacting the performance of the computer industry enterprise wide.
    My third thought is, which do I want Apple to be number one in???
    My fourth thought is… I think Apple has it’s priorities straight.
    edited February 2022 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    To be honest Edge, Safari, and FireFox are all so close together as to make it essentially a tie. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Since Edge is only on Windows, and Safari is only on Mac, why does it even make sense to compare their market share? It's not like anyone is switching from Safari to Edge, unless they're switching platforms for some other reason.
    edited February 2022 williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    MS are constantly pushing Edge. If you don't have it as the default browser it reminds you about every 2 weeks with an ad in the start menu. When you reinstall windows and the first thing you do is obviously search for Firefox (with Bing in Edge) it desperately pleads with you to keep Edge.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Doodpants said:
    Since Edge is only on Windows, and Safari is only on Mac, why does it even make sense to compare their market share? It's not like anyone is switching from Safari to Edge, unless they're switching platforms for some other reason.
    Edge has had a Mac version for quite some time. iOS version too. 

Edge on Mac is genuinely good. A nice alternative if you want a Chromium-based browser for better compatibility but don’t want Chrome. 
    edited February 2022 dewme
  • Reply 10 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    DAalseth said:
    To be honest Edge, Safari, and FireFox are all so close together as to make it essentially a tie. 
    Safari allows more control on the fly, and is by far the best at get out of the way you do change things….part of that is also the Mac OS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    So, basically, Edge is taking browser share from Chrome. Shocker.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Browser and Search share are big business. And Apple needs to stay at the forefront of both of these. It’s a long term gain. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    neoncat said:
    Doodpants said:
    Edge has had a Mac version for quite some time. iOS version too. 

Edge on Mac is genuinely good. A nice alternative if you want a Chromium-based browser for better compatibility but don’t want Chrome. 
    I find it a lot slower starting than safari but is the only browser that works consistently well with SharePoint and other MS office 365 offers. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Doodpants said:
    The market figures are important for advertising companies.
     As a website developer I need to know which browsers must be included in the list of browsers I am using to test the site.
    edited February 2022