Volvo transforms car servicing by giving engineers Apple Watches

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Swedish car maker Volvo has revealed that it has added the Apple Watch to its services division, giving engineers and technicians up to the minute information and saving on their paperwork.

Source: Volvo
Source: Volvo

Some 1,500 Personal Service Technicians who service cars for Volvo in Sweden have each been given an Apple Watch, specifically to help with customer service. Now when a customer arrives at a garage, the engineer is notified with details of the repair.

According to ComputerWorld, the engineers can use the Watch to check information and notes from the customer, and then call them when the repair is competed.

There is an accompanying iPhone app so the engineers have the option to more readily enter or read information. But between the Watch notifications and the iPhone detail, it means no more printing of records. Nor do engineers have to go to a PC to log details or check for information.

Reportedly, it used to take Volvo up to half a year to train new recruits on the 15 different IT systems that had been in use within the company.

"With Apple Watch, I have everything I need for my job right on my wrist," Johnnie Andersson, a personal service technician for Volvo, told the publication."It's also way easier to train a new technician on the Apple Watch and the iPhone than our desktop systems."

There is also the benefit that no paperwork can ever be lost in a busy garage, and neither can essential customer contact details.

Volvo has not revealed what precisely the reduction in training time for new staff is. However, it says that 80% of the technicians using the Apple Watch have increased their customer satisfaction scores.

There has also been a 30% increase in post-service follow-up calls and emails. At the same time, there is so far a 40% decrease in the amount of printing of documents.

And while the Volvo digital team introduced the Watch specifically to help improve customer service, they report that it is helping engineers with other duties.

"Some of our teams use the Walkie-Talkie feature to communicate with each other across the facility," the team told ComputerWorld.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Interesting, since iOS (read: CarPlay) seems like a second class citizen in Volvo’s Polestar marque, which is (in)famously based around Google’s Android Automotive OS infotainment system. (To be clear, Polestar does seem to support CarPlay, but it sounds like the mobile device must be physically connected via USB—not bluetooth—to function.)

Okay, this concludes my snarky comment for the day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Interesting, since iOS (read: CarPlay) seems like a second class citizen in Volvo’s Polestar marque, which is (in)famously based around Google’s Android Automotive OS infotainment system. (To be clear, Polestar does seem to support CarPlay, but it sounds like the mobile device must be physically connected via USB—not bluetooth—to function.)

Whatever…

So nice to see companies embracing tech. It’s a win for them AND their customers. 
    gregoriusmF_Kent_D
  • Reply 3 of 24
    the mobile device must be physically connected via USB—not bluetooth—to function.)
    Wireless CarPlay requires both in-car Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to function. Bluetooth is used only to automatically exchange the Wi-Fi password.
    edited February 2022 gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member

CarPlay is either wired or WiFi. BT doesn't have the bandwidth to push the CarPlay UI from the iPhone to the display.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Volvo has engineers servicing vehicles?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Hopefully saving a few lives along the way.

Can’t wait to see what Apple has planned for Watch tech. Seems like it’s advancing faster than iPhone/iPad did. 
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 7 of 24
    You mean the Chinese car company Volvo, right? Volvo is out need by China and China as shifted most of the engineering work from Sweden to China. Many parts are now made in China and shipped to Sweden for assembly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    johnrlott said:
    China as shifted most of the engineering work from Sweden to China.. 
    Any link to support that? As far as I know Volvo (and CEVT) still do most of the engineering and design in Gothenburg, but builds cars all over the world.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Here are a few examples. I have a relative who was involved in auto regulation in the Swedish government 

Volvo invests in a new laboratory in Shanghai - Electric Motor Engineering
    batteries and electric engine motors designed and built in China.
    https://www.electricmotorengineering.com/volvo-invests-in-a-new-laboratory-in-shanghai/

even by early 2014, Less tan 4 years after merger major engine plant for Volvo was finishing being built in China. 
    Volvo has launched manufacturing in China and a Chinese engine plant is almost done. 
    https://www.engineering.com/story/what-happened-to-volvo-engineering-and-plm-under-chinese-ownership

The merger with the Chinese company Greeley has also had a significant effect on design resources a as operations have been “streamlined.”

Volvo building trucks in China, engineers also there
    Japheyapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Monstieur said:
    the mobile device must be physically connected via USB—not bluetooth—to function.)
    Wireless CarPlay requires both in-car Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to function. Bluetooth is used only to automatically exchange the Wi-Fi password.
    I don’t think it does. I’m using a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica van and it doesn’t have wifi and yet I can use wireless CarPlay. The interface the system uses is horrible, but at least CarPlay works wirelessly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

So what? Wireless CarPlay is currently the exception, not the norm. That will slowly change over time, but today that’s where we are. Also, as others have said…Wi-Fi? 
    Saying “Seems like” and “sounds like” several times in your post imply that you don’t really know what you’re talking about. So why even bother?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Hopefully those rumors of the Apple Watch getting a rugged version pan out. I can see many more companies adopting it similarly if the risk of damage and repairs were significantly reduced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    A family member has a new Volvo XC40 Recharge (electric) and it is all Google / Android. Not sure if it does CarPlay
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24

I drive a Polestar...and no, we don't have Apple CarPlay yet...it's been delayed until Spring of this year at this point....and like you say, it will no longer be wireless even though that was what was originally promised.  Same for the 2022 Volvo models using the new Android Automotive. Funny enough CarPlay was great in my 2018 Volvo XC60....but all the models that now use Android Automotive have CarPlay delayed.....and sadly, Android Automotive needs a lot of work still...but I think that will get better now that many other manufacturers have committed to using it. I have a love / hate relationship with it personally....when it's good, it's really really good. The Google Maps implementation is superb....other apps are definitely second class citizens though....not all are integrated in the voice commands....and many big names are still missing. I was sort of shocked to not have Pandora as a music option when it was on my prior Volvo using the Sensus system. 
    edited February 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    johnrlott said:
    You mean the Chinese car company Volvo, right? Volvo is out need by China and China as shifted most of the engineering work from Sweden to China. Many parts are now made in China and shipped to Sweden for assembly. 

Besides that, why would anybody but a ChinaHater care?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Getting back to the article from diversions over CarPlay and China....

I don't get what the Apple Watch does for them -- besides notifications.
    I am a firm, out spoken supporter of the AppleWatch -- but it is not a great output device simply because the screen is too small.   But, it is outstanding at notifications.

I'm wondering if the watches they gave out are mostly notification devices telling the engineers to get the information from the iPhones that they also (apparently) gave them.
  • Reply 17 of 24

Unlike some, I have absolutely no problem at all with wired CarPlay.  It's nice to have my phone charged while driving.  And yes, I know the less efficient "wireless" charging option exists.  I see no reason to waste even more power using such.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    johnrlott said:

The point was just accuracy: the article called it a Swedish company. The company is owned by the the Chinese, not any one in Sweden, and much of the design and production now occurs in China. The final assembly of the cars (not all the trucks) takes place in Sweden, but that is about it. Does that make it a Swedish company.?
    Xedapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    johnrlott said:
    johnrlott said:

The point was just accuracy: the article called it a Swedish company. The company is owned by the the Chinese, not any one in Sweden, and much of the design and production now occurs in China. The final assembly of the cars (not all the trucks) takes place in Sweden, but that is about it. Does that make it a Swedish company.?
    He must also think that Samsung is an American company because they fab in Texas.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Once again, tech is the future and a solution which always has "+" and "-". DA Shipping