Apple 2nd Qtr Results Here!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple made 14 million in the quarter. Revenues were down 1% from a year ago. Gross margins were up. Sales on laptops were up. 4 cents a share against street estimates of 2 cents. In this economy they did good!

CUPERTINO, Calif., April 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Apple(R) (Nasdaq: AAPL) today announced financial results for its fiscal 2003

second quarter ended March 29, 2003. For the quarter, the Company posted a net

profit of $14 million, or $.04 per diluted share. These results compare to a

net profit of $40 million, or $.11 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter.

Revenues for the quarter were $1.475 billion, down 1 percent from the year-ago

quarter, and gross margins were 28.3 percent, up from 27.4 percent in the

year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 47 percent of the

quarter's revenues.

Apple shipped 711,000 Macintosh(R) units during the quarter.

"Our 'year of the notebook' is off to a great start, led by the incredible

demand for our new aluminum 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBook G4s," said Steve

Jobs, Apple's CEO. "This quarter over 40 percent of the Macs we shipped were

notebooks -- our highest percentage ever and well ahead of the industry

average."

"We are very pleased to have achieved our revenue target for the second

quarter while maintaining channel inventories under 4.5 weeks," said Fred

Anderson, Apple's CFO. "Continued strong asset management enabled us to

increase cash to over $4.5 billion. Looking ahead to the third quarter of

2003, we expect revenue to be relatively flat with the March quarter and

expect a slight profit for the quarter."

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple

II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple

is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students,

educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its

innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q2 2003 financial results

conference call utilizing QuickTime(TM), Apple's standards-based technology

for live and on-demand audio and video streaming. The live webcast will begin

at 2:00 p.m. PDT on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 at

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq203/ and will also be available

for replay. The QuickTime player is available free for Macintosh and Windows

users at http://www.apple.com/quicktime .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Get the 970 based tower now and make the consumer models more reasonably priced

By doing these I guarantee their sales will get triple
  • Reply 2 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This is looking good. Not bad, Apple! Apple's earnings will triple!? Yeah right! More like sextuple when the 970s come out! I'm buying at least 3!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Financial Statements

Data Summary

Both linked from Hot News (apple.com)

Okay, it's 15 after 5, still silent on the audio broadcast....

Also, while you are bored and waiting with me.... CNN's article.

Since I am still bored... try this story at CNN... Apple is NOT buying Universal

Here is another, same as the above. Steve denys bids.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    "Intel processor switch?" "No comment."

"Acquring music content?" "No comment."

Ooh, Fred just zinged Quark for contributing to slower PowerMac sales.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 16
    For those of you NOT lucky enough to get into it (like ME dang it)

Mac central is giving a fun play by play....

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...iveconference/
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The "no comment replies" are standared procedure. Apple NEVER talks about future plans at anyalst meetings. I've listened to a dozen or more and they always say that. DO NOT READ ANTHING into them. On another note, look at the following headers and spin that reporters give the results. Reuters spins negative while others spin positive:

"Apple Reports Second Quarter Results" PRNewswire-FirstCall ["For the quarter, the Company posted a net profit of $14 million, or $.04 per diluted share."] 3:38 PM

"Laptop sales lift Apple earnings: Buoyed by strong laptop sales, Apple Computer on Wednesday posted second-quarter earnings and sales that narrowly topped analysts estimates." CNET News.com 3:58 PM

"Apple Posts Lower Second-Quarter Profit" Reuters 4:11 PM

"Apple's 2Q profit tumbles: Computer maker's earnings slide, but top forecasts, on almost flat sales." Reuters 3:49 PM

"Apple posts $14 million net profit, doubling expectations" Associated Press 4:24 PM

"Apple's lower profit tops forecasts" CBS MarketWatch 4:11 PM

"Interest Gives Apple a Boost" TheStreet.com 4:16 PM

"Revenue, profits fall for Apple" Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal 4:19 PM

"Apple upbeat despite profit dip: Computer maker Apple has reported a 65% dip in quarterly profits." BBC 4:01 PM

"Apple earnings fall 65%" The Globe and Mail 3:49 PM

"Apple Reports Lower Profit, Denies It Made Music Offer" Dow Jones [Free Membership Required] 4:11 PM

"Apple profits, revenue down, but ahead of estimates" IDG News Service 4:24 PM

"Apple announces net profit of $14 million for fiscal 2003 second quarter" MacDailyNews 3:45 PM

"Apple reports profit of $14 million" MacCentral 3:51 PM

"Apple Q2 earnings beat Wall Street forecasts, driven by notebook PC sales" AFX-Focus 4:00 PM

"Apple Q2 EPS 4 cents vs 11" AFX-Focus 4:00 PM

"Apple 2Q EPS 4 Cents" Dow Jones [Free Membership Required] 4:10 PM
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Unit breakdown information from the MacCentral live conference call update page:

Power Macs -- 156,000 units, down 26 percent from year ago quarter. Creative segment hit by bad economy, said Anderson.

82,000 units of 12 inch PowerBooks sold. 70,000 15 inch PowerBooks sold. 14,000 17 inch units shipped, with a "substantial backlog" at the end of quarter.

256,000 iMacs shipped. 41,000 CRT, 86,000 eMacs, 129,000 flat panels. iBook sales were down thanks to 12 inch PowerBooks. 166,000 PowerBooks shipped -- strong demand for all three models.

42 percent of units shipped were portables -- a new record. Unit shipments were down 13 percent overall. Revenue per system jumped thanks to "beyond the box" purchases -- iLife, Keynote and Final Cut Express, in particular.

-------

The 12" PB seems to be doing quite well, and has filled in a nice niche that was sorely lacking. I wonder how many 17" PB have been shipped since the end of the quarter... would be a good profit source for Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The getting-lower-and-lower percentage of sales of the desktops is the result of Apple's ultra lame offerings
  • Reply 9 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Why didn't an analyst ask about the dry up of iPods for the past 3 months? They are such morons.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Why didn't an analyst ask about the dry up of iPods for the past 3 months?

iPods are still available .... only the 5 gig model is hard to find. There has been no "dry up" of the other iPods. Get your facts correct. New models are coming.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Get the 970 based tower now and make the consumer models more reasonably priced

By doing these I guarantee their sales will get triple

Nuf said. Apple just needs to get the iPods out, the music server out, the 970 in PMs, lower consumer prices and their sales will be outstanding. Plus, I forgot, Panther.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

iPods are still available .... only the 5 gig model is hard to find. There has been no "dry up" of the other iPods. Get your facts correct. New models are coming.

you always speak as if your word is the ultimate truth.

iPods were dried up and have been. I have walked into many CompUSAs and Apple Stores and them not have a 10GB or a 20GB.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think Apple must have stopped making 5 GB iPods because I seriously doubt that holiday demand has caused a FOUR MONTH backlog. Or maybe it has... but I think this is Apple's way of saying, "You want an iPod, you pay us $400 like you're supposed to!"
  • Reply 14 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

you always speak as if your word is the ultimate truth.

iPods were dried up and have been. I have walked into many CompUSAs and Apple Stores and them not have a 10GB or a 20GB.

Thank you! I was gonna say that, but you beat me to it.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Go to Apple on line and you'll find both 10 and 20 gig iPods available. My local CompUSA has a handful available. MacMall has them for immediate shipment. I guess it depends on where you go. Last night on MTV they gave out what looked like about 50 of them on a program (don't know which one was just surfing). While they are in short supply they have definately not dried up. I think I am correct in my assessment.

On another subject. An Apple exec mentioned in the analyst conference that TFT prices were starting to "inch up" again. Demand is once again outstripping supply - at least on high quality displays.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple shipped 711,000 Macintosh(R) units during the quarter.

Apple is growing smaller and smaller. I suspect Apple will sell far less than 3.2 million units this year, and with a slightly growing PC market (current estimates is 142 million units, IIRC), Apple marketshare is set to fall below 2.3 %.