What to expect from the 'iPhone Fold'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    brodafett said:
    ...As for the apple watch well square watch faces are for kids watches. Since apple cares so much about having all these fancy color options now then they could at least release a round version for people who find square watches repulsive... 
    Why don't you ruminate a bit more on the differences between a dynamic information-rich interface devices, vs analog read-only?

How many round computer screens or round TV screens do you have in your home?

How well do round digital watch displays present data-rich, multi-page navigable GUI's  vs square/rectangular?

I am unaware of kids wearing Baume and Mercier, Hermes, Patek Phillippe, Cartier, Bell & Ross or other square faced analog watches either.

But wait - most Swatches are round!

williamlondonroundaboutnowpscooter63kitatitFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 42 of 71
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    I can see where a flexible phone that can be worn on your wrist would be kind of interesting, something like those cheat sheets that some NFL quarterbacks wear on their wrists. But I'm not begging for a folding phone any time soon. I've never looked at Samsung's folding phones and said "I wish Apple would do something like that." Just not feeling the need or desire, but if Apple can demonstrate a very compelling reason why I should want a taco phone, I'm not afraid to change my mind.

edited January 2022 pscooter63kitatit
  • Reply 43 of 71
    It's wild to see some of the comments that struggle so mightily to see the value of a foldable. I had just about every model iPhone from the 3GS to the 7, and a couple others since. One of the few things to motivate me to switch was the Samsung Galaxy Fold, and then the Fold 2. The most recent two models (there's three now) have been especially wonderful. They're hardly perfect, but what new tech is? Current primary downsides for me and my Fold 2 are camera quality, weight and bulk. Do those outweigh the benefits? Not at all, otherwise I'd have returned to Apple. I still have my XS Max that i use here and there because I love it too and the ecosystem, but until Apple makes a foldable, I'll be sticking with Samsung's lovely foldables for the foreseeable future. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingampscooter63
  • Reply 44 of 71
    It's wild to see some of the comments that struggle so mightily to see the value of a foldable. I had just about every model iPhone from the 3GS to the 7, and a couple others since. One of the few things to motivate me to switch was the Samsung Galaxy Fold, and then the Fold 2. The most recent two models (there's three now) have been especially wonderful. They're hardly perfect, but what new tech is? Current primary downsides for me and my Fold 2 are camera quality, weight and bulk. Do those outweigh the benefits? Not at all, otherwise I'd have returned to Apple. I still have my XS Max that i use here and there because I love it too and the ecosystem, but until Apple makes a foldable, I'll be sticking with Samsung's lovely foldables for the foreseeable future. 
    And you came here your first post to tell us you like another company's phone (one widely panned across the internets, a double launched piece of shit it was so bad) - perhaps MacRumors would be a better place for those sorts of sentiments.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    It’s “wild” seeing the multiple first-post accounts that turned up in this thread to promote the Samsung fold-a-phone. 
    pscooter63FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 46 of 71
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    The iFold?  
    I see a folding iPad before I see a folding phone.   
    I’d be happy with a thick iPad that unfolds to be as big as an iPad Pro 12.9”.   
    I just don’t want to pay $1000 for it to fold.   
    williamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Doesn’t look as though Apple will deliver a folding iPhone anytime soon regardless of all the patents it has obtained and the reason is the price they would have to charge for the folding iPhone. Probably around $2000
     how many people would pay $2000 for a folding iPhone?? And if they did pay $2000 then they’re not upgrading for years
     In any case it’s an Avenue of exploration for the now
     Looks as though we may see a unibody port less iPhone first
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Do you ever stop and marvel at how far leveraged Apple content has become?  It's not information, it's not information about information. not rumors about information, not rumors about rumors, or rumors about rumors about rumors. It's speculation about rumors about speculation about use of patents about having *EXCLUSIVE* speculations (????) about rumors about rumors.

Nearly all of which -- about the notch, anyway -- have been backtracked and soon will be retconned out of existence.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 49 of 71
    iPhold     :p
  • Reply 50 of 71
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I just came across an article on BBC about folding phones. The writer is a dedicated android user and was really excited to get a Samsung Galaxy Flip3. Now a year later he concludes, after the display rated for 200,000 opening and closings failed along the crease making the phone useless, that the tech just isn’t ready yet. He points out that his experience is not unique either. He mentions “dozens of people online sharing similar tales of woe.” And that “One recent contributor on Reddit wrote that their brand new device broke within five hours.”
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-62727710
    It’s an interesting read from someone who WAS very excited about the idea but now has decided to go back to a non folding phone. 

edited September 2022 danoxFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 51 of 71
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    Hank2.0 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Ver Unlikely. It’s a gimmick and pron for damage but add zero or little benefit...
    The benefit follows the principle of greater functionality with a smaller size for transporting. Isn't that the basic idea of a cell phone in the first place?
    Yes, but the limitations of tech at the time dictated the design and Apple wasn’t interested in a half assed experience that didn’t include a OS and hardware far beyond what Nokia, Sony, Palm, Blackberry, and Microsoft were capable of at the time and when it got to that point they released and crushed the big five.

The Apple iPad prototype in 2001 was literally a brick which was completely unusable. (note the tablet design predated the iPhone Apple switched them around midstream).

Glasses in the future will be a very big thing but not until the electronics can be hidden inside a pair of normal glasses with the power of the Apple Watch times 2.
    edited September 2022 DAalseth
  • Reply 52 of 71
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    bushman4 said:
    Doesn’t look as though Apple will deliver a folding iPhone anytime soon regardless of all the patents it has obtained and the reason is the price they would have to charge for the folding iPhone. Probably around $2000
     how many people would pay $2000 for a folding iPhone?? And if they did pay $2000 then they’re not upgrading for years
    So? Took 9 years for iPad to hit the streets, 6 years for the iPhone, and 13 years to kick Intel out.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    bushman4 said:
    To be fair though, we all said the same thing about a $1000 phone. If it delivers value, people will buy them.
    That said I don’t see how a folding phone will deliver that much added value. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 54 of 71
    So.... a folding iPad Mini that makes calls???

I can see an advantage to having an expanded virtual keyboard, but other than that?
  • Reply 55 of 71
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Hank2.0 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Ver Unlikely. It’s a gimmick and pron for damage but add zero or little benefit...
    The benefit follows the principle of greater functionality with a smaller size for transporting. Isn't that the basic idea of a cell phone in the first place?
    Is that a fold in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 56 of 71
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Back in the day I had a old style folding Samsung phone with a keyboard on one side and a plastic low res b&w screen on the other. It was basically a knock off of the Motorola startac devices which were popular at the time. 
    On the plus side it protected the very poor screen, and opening the phone would answer a call.
    it was very thick in your pocket though, and was compared with today a device primarily for answering calls.

It was the height of flip phone popularity when the first iPhone came out, and there was criticism that the iPhone needed to also be folding to protect the screen. For all the occasional shattering, the glass screens pretty much negated that problem. Now candy bar (or should that be chocolate block?) phones offer greater durability than folding phones.
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 57 of 71
    How about calling it the iPhone Empty Folder? Haha
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 58 of 71
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member

I can see an advantage to having an expanded virtual keyboard, but other than that?
    Trifold screen would make it a mini.

• Reply 59 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Do you ever stop and marvel at how far leveraged Apple content has become?  It's not information, it's not information about information. not rumors about information, not rumors about rumors, or rumors about rumors about rumors. It's speculation about rumors about speculation about use of patents about having *EXCLUSIVE* speculations (????) about rumors about rumors.

Nearly all of which -- about the notch, anyway -- have been backtracked and soon will be retconned out of existence.
    Actually, it’s about the nerd herd attempting to will something into existence and tech blogs pandering to that desire.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member

There is an advantage to an expanded anything. 

That's why large screen regular phones are so popular. 

Obviously, as with everything, there is a cut off point where being bigger/faster does not offer much more (TV screens, refresh rates, speed in general...) but there are plenty of times where regular phones feel cramped.

That's when folding out to a larger screen makes a difference. 

It could be ebook reading, photo/video viewing/retouching, gaming, multitasking, typing...

The advantage is having both a small and large dorm factor at your disposal at all times. 
    muthuk_vanalingam