'iPhone 14 Pro' hole-punch and pill could be bigger than first thought

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
A supposed new schematic of the "iPhone 14 Pro" appears to show the hole-punch replacement of the notch may be much bigger than originally thought for the iPhone 14 series.

iPhone 14 Pro renders

Rumors surrounding the "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max" claim Apple will do away with the infamous and much-copied notch, in favor of hole-punch and pill-shape cutouts at the top of the screen. While it is thought that the design could reduce the amount of intrusion into the display, a leak indicates it may not be as much of a reduction as expected.

In an image posted to Weibo and later corroborated by leaker Jon Prosser as being an accurate leak, the display of an iPhone 14 model is shown bearing the hole-punch and pill layout at the top of the display.

Prosser overlaid the image on top of a render for the supposed display, and the two don't quite match up. While renders show both display gaps as quite slim and small, the image instead offers that the elements are roughly twice the size than speculated.

An overlay of renders based on rumors of the 'iPhone 14 Pro' and the new pill and hole punch leak [via Jon Prosser]
An overlay of renders based on rumors of the 'iPhone 14 Pro' and the new pill and hole punch leak [via Jon Prosser]

If true, the double-hole design could eat a lot of display real estate, though not necessarily as much as the existing notch design. The size may make it much more noticeable to consumers, though it remains to be seen if it will put upgraders off, if Apple does go ahead with it.

It is unclear if the non-Pro "iPhone 14" models will also feature a dual-hole design, as rumors currently point to the Pro models gaining the change. Ahole-punch camera could be used instead of the notch, though it has also been suggested that the non-Pro units could retain the notch for another year.

Other rumors point to the loss of the camera bump from the rear, as well as a camera sensor upgrade from 12-megapixel cameras to 48 megapixels.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    If true this is much worse than the notch.  Not believable. 
  • Reply 2 of 14
    See the notch was a function Over form design. As much as many including the tech reviewers opined negatively about its existence, It didn’t stop the phones from selling well. And just to please a few, or maybe to genuinely keep the design of the iPhone fresh, they are leaking out pill shaped punch holes for Face ID. Might as well just have kept the notch and ignore those that don’t like the notch. 
  • Reply 3 of 14
    That’s a tough pill to swallow.
    ne1tht
  • Reply 4 of 14
    That’s a tough pill to swallow.
    Chew first before you swallow….
    ne1
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Keep the notch until there’s no notch.
    edited February 2022 ne1Japheyharrykatsarostommikele
  • Reply 6 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Who cares? Apple knows what the hell it’s doing. They have the best designers and engineers on the planet. If it’s a certain size, there’s obviously an important and functional reason for that. As much as people initially mocked the notch, history has shown its a non issue. 
    Anilu_777iOS_Guy80badmonkdesignrBeats
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I’m not upgrading until there’s at least 10x optical zoom. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The notch doesn’t bother me at all. This looks UGLY.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    It it weird that I look at the back of that thing and miss the camera bump square?
    iOS_Guy80
  • Reply 10 of 14
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Take away that Apple logo in that render photo and what do you have?  It looks like a Samsung.  The notch has given the iPhone a distinct look the way that the iconic home button did.  Also, the camera bump has that kind of effect.  An iPhone should look unique is what I’m trying to say.  The only thing left would be the lightening port which so many are hoping for usb-c which again takes unique character away from the design language that makes an iPhone an iPhone.  Lightning has proved itself to be a great connector too.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I am waiting for iphone SE 5G. But, will wait to see how iPhone 14 notch/pill/hole design looks before upgrading.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    If true this is much worse than the notch.  Not believable. 
    I don't like it and agree with the commenter who said keep it as is until they can truly get rid of it, but what is not believable? I suggest you believe it could happen. And just like the notch and every other thing they did, the complaining will go away and the fanboy's panties will eventually not be in a bunch over it if this is what they do.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It’s worth remembering that the camera bumps on the 13 Pro models actually got significantly larger than in the past, so the rumor that the iPhone will lose them completely this year—while the sensor supposedly goes from 12 to 48MP no less—is just ridiculous. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    M68000 said:
    Take away that Apple logo in that render photo and what do you have?  It looks like a Samsung.  The notch has given the iPhone a distinct look the way that the iconic home button did.  Also, the camera bump has that kind of effect.  An iPhone should look unique is what I’m trying to say.  The only thing left would be the lightening port which so many are hoping for usb-c which again takes unique character away from the design language that makes an iPhone an iPhone.  Lightning has proved itself to be a great connector too.

It looks like an iPhone. Samsung didn’t invent the iPhone.