Apple renews murder mystery comedy 'The Afterparty' for second season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2022
Apple has announced that its Apple TV+ series "The Afterparty" will return for a second season as the first season prepares to wrap up on Friday.

A real EP in Apple Music made by a fictional character in 'The Afterparty'
A real EP in Apple Music made by a fictional character in 'The Afterparty'

"The Afterparty" is a murder-mystery comedy headed by Academy Award, BAFTA, and Golden Globe Award winners Chris Miller and Phil Lord. The pair are responsible for films such as "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and "21 Jump Street," as well as Fox's "The Last Man on Earth."

The eight-part mini-series takes place at a high school reunion afterparty and is centered around the death of a pop star named Xavier. Season one focused on retelling the same night told through a different character's perspective. Each episode used a unique visual format and film genre to match the storyteller's personality.

Earlier in February 2022, Apple launched a promotional TikTok account for the show containing an EP for the deceased fictional artist, as well as a hashtag encouraging viewers to fill in missing lyrics for another song.

Apple first announced "The Afterparty" for its streaming service back in June 2020.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This show is so good. It has the murder mystery feel, but is also very funny. I’m glad they renewed it. 
    mjtomlinblastdoor
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    This show is so good. It has the murder mystery feel, but is also very funny. I’m glad they renewed it. 

Agreed. Love how each episode is made in a different genre.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I enjoy this show, but how can they do a second season of it? Same actors playing different characters in a new story, similar to AHS? Or will they do it like Fargo with both all new actors and story line? Or maybe the season finale doesn’t actually solve anything, and next season will continue with the current story. I know nobody knows yet, I’m just thinking out loud. 
    zoetmb
  • Reply 4 of 4
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Sure, but what would a second season be about?  Another murder at another party?  That wouldn’t make much sense to me.  They limited themselves with the show’s name.   

It will be interesting to see what creative magic they come up with.