New Apple 'Mac Studio' may fit in between Mac mini and Mac Pro

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2022
Apple may be planning on introducing a new "Mac Studio" computer with an Apple Silicon chip alongside new Mac mini and Mac Pro devices.

Mac Pro and
Mac Pro and "smaller Mac Pro"

The so-called "Mac Studio" will be a device that slots in between the Mac mini and Mac Pro. Reportedly, the device will be mostly based on the Mac mini's design but will feature "much more powerful hardware."

Apple is rumored to have two versions of the "Mac Studio" device in development. One model is said to have the M1 Max chipset and another with an even more powerful Apple Silicon chip.

Sources familiar with the matter told 9to5Mac on Friday that the device will represent a new category between Apple's existing desktop options without built-in monitors that will be aimed at professional users. The name is not said to be set in stone just yet.

Earlier on Friday, reports indicated that Apple was also working on a new "Apple Studio Display" with a higher resolution than the current Pro Display XDR. If Apple keeps the branding, it suggests that the new "Mac Studio" will match the display option in Apple marketing.

The "Mac Studio" is said to be the same device that was previously rumored as a smaller Mac Pro by Bloomberg. The device could replace the current high-end Mac mini currently being sold by Apple with an Intel chip.

Alongside the Apple Silicon-equipped "Mac Studio," Apple is also reportedly working on a Mac Pro model equipped with an Intel chip, which could end up being one of the last Apple products with the chipmaker's silicon.

It isn't clear when the "Mac Studio" will debut, but a special Apple event is set to occur on March 8 that will likely focus on Mac devices as well as a new iPhone SE.

Read on AppleInsider
mobird

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Reportedly, the device will be mostly based on the Mac mini's design but will feature "much more powerful hardware."
    This is what threw me in reading the article. If this Mac Studio is the rumored Mac Half Pro, something the size of 3 or 4 stacked Mac mini's or a PowerMac G4 Cube, or a 2013 Mac Pro, or a Mac IIci on its side, at some point it's really not based on the Mac mini's design anymore.

If it is that much larger, there isn't going to be much similarity between a Mac mini and this box.

Then, how is it going to differ from the Mac mini that is rumored to have an M1 Pro and perhaps an M1 Max?
    gregoriusmwilliamlondontenthousandthingsseanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 43
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Many of us here on Appleinsider have been diligent over numerous years wanting for Apple to release the machine described in this article with many naysayers saying that it is a niche market, blah, blah, blah and it's market that Apple is not interested in.

Stay tuned... :*
    OutdoorAppDeveloperavon b7blastdoorwatto_cobracgWerksargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 43
    More like the Mac Pro itself is coming in 2 models, a small and large. Mac Pro and Mac Pro Max.
    Reportedly, the device will be mostly based on the Mac mini's design but will feature "much more powerful hardware."
    This is what threw me in reading the article. If this Mac Studio is the rumored Mac Half Pro, something the size of 3 or 4 stacked Mac mini's or a PowerMac G4 Cube, or a 2013 Mac Pro, or a Mac IIci on its side, at some point it's really not based on the Mac mini's design anymore.

If it is that much larger, there isn't going to be much similarity between a Mac mini and this box.

Then, how is it going to differ from the Mac mini that is rumored to have an M1 Pro and perhaps an M1 Max?
    The Mac mini is not going to have 40 cores. Period. The device that is code named Mac Studio will be the smaller Mac Pro. It has been reported for over a year that the Mac Pro will come in 2 distinct models, one being much smaller than the other, and starting with 40 cores. The larger one will have more performance and also come in Intel configs.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 43
    tht said:

The one thing I never worry about is how a new Mac is going to look. Apple always does a great job with the visual design of their products. It will look great even if it is larger than the current Mac mini. The thing that worries me is releasing any kind of "pro" Mac that has no expandability. At least give us a couple of M.2 slots!
    davenargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 43
    This must be the rumored Mac Mini Pro, but the news here is it won’t be the same form factor as the Mac mini (the redesign of which we won’t see before the M2). Instead, it will be a step beyond the Mini, this “Mac Studio.”

So, let’s see:

iMac : iMac Studio : iMac Pro
    Mac Mini : Mac Studio : Mac Pro
    Apple Studio Display : Apple Pro Display

The rumor in the other article about the 7K high-end display assigns the “Studio Display” name to that, but that makes no sense in relation to the rumored Mac model names, so I think the high-end display has to retain its current name (Pro Display), while the mid-range XDR display gets the Studio name.

Here’s hoping they also give us a 24-inch 4.5K non-XDR “Apple Display” as well. 

EDIT: Four comments as I was typing that! Editing to add that I don’t see how the Studio name could still be up in the air if it’s getting introduced on March 8. I think it just means that someone has been sitting on this info for a while, waiting for the event announcement, and they’re hedging their bets because the info is older than it appears.
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    So we already have Mini Macs, and now we're going to get Midi Macs. And the Mac Pros could be Maxi Macs. Perhaps we can get a free iPad with our Maxi Macs.
    edited March 2022 h2p
  • Reply 7 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If the new chip is more powerful than the M1 Max then I hope it isn't an M1, else there's going to be hundreds of amateur taxonomists having a fit.
    paxmanrundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    tht said:

Well, it could be exactly that: a Mac mini Studio (with “Mac mini Pro” deemed too confusing), and our newfound dreams of a Mac Studio that is something different are dashed. Probably is the simplest explanation, I have to say. So maybe a slightly larger form factor, but still a “mini” and not the elusive Half Pro/Cube/Cylinder of lore.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Apple designing a Mac Pro as the only Intel option is 100% nonsensical. This would send the signal that “Intel is the best” and by now a backwards solution. 
    williamlondonlolliverseanjrundhviddanoxwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    crowley said:
    If the new chip is more powerful than the M1 Max then I hope it isn't an M1, else there's going to be hundreds of amateur taxonomists having a fit.
    Ha ha. The announcement will be met with derision and apoplectic fits whatever it is and however it is packaged. That is the nature of hundreds of people in a single forum who all know better.  :)  As has been pointed out more than once - we should all be on Apple's advisory payroll to ensure they stay on the path to success! 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 43
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    So we already have Mini Macs, and now we're going to get Midi Macs. And the Mac Pros could be Maxi Macs. Perhaps we can get a free iPad with our Maxi Macs.
    Maxi Mac reminds me of Maxi Pads 😁
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 12 of 43
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    This is good news. Finally a headless iMac I had been looking for.
    williamlondoniqatedodanoxwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 43
    tht said:
    […] Then, how is it going to differ from the Mac mini that is rumored to have an M1 Pro and perhaps an M1 Max?
    It occurs to me that they could simply be rebranding Mac mini to Mac Studio. No more Mini. So five desktop Macs and two displays:

Mac Studio : Mac Pro
    watto_cobraraoulduke42
  • Reply 14 of 43
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member

What you’re missing is the Apple Mini Display. A 9” B/W LOL
    All kidding aside, I like the idea they returning to the Good/Better/Best grid. So maybe just drop the Mini.
    Mac : Mac Studio : Mac Pro
    watto_cobraraoulduke42argonaut
  • Reply 15 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Seems like a really bad idea. 

Mac mini slots well at the low end, the iMac already takes up the middle, and you have the Mac Pro in the stratosphere. 

Adding s “studio” brand just muddled things d add no doesn’t even sound cool. It’s reminiscent of “Microsoft surface studio” or Razer “Studio Edition” laptops. 

If Apple wants to call it’s new display a studio display or Cinema Display or rectangle looky thingy or whatever, they’d one thing. But to throw this dates name in there is kinda lame. 

If they want to have a beefier Mac mini, they can just call it the Mac. It’s not pro, but it’s not mini snd would be an opportunity to tie the mobile and desktop marketing together. 

Mac / MacBook / iPhone / iPad

Mac Pro / MacBook Pro / iPhone Pro / iPad Pro

Slimmer Mac Air (formerly mac mini) / iPad Air / MacBook air / future iPhone air? 

The outlier would be the iMac. The branding doesn’t fit with anything as it doesn’t really correlate to the mobile lines, even though iPhone snd iPad all start the same. 

In truth, the iMac is probably best suited to just be called the Mac as the original Mac was also an all in one. That would put the burden on the rumored beefier mini Mac to be thr outlier, retaining the “mini” name as the old mini gets redesigned snd branded to mac air. 

Hope this is just confuse with the Mac Pro and the current mini is redesigned to a slim device rebranded Mac Air with no higher tier of this concept. Keep the product lines clean, correlating, and sensible. 
  • Reply 16 of 43
    DAalseth said:

What you’re missing is the Apple Mini Display. A 9” B/W LOL
    All kidding aside, I like the idea they returning to the Good/Better/Best grid. So maybe just drop the Mini.
    Mac : Mac Studio : Mac Pro
    LOL, see the post directly above yours! 

My theory on the Mac by itself is that they are holding that in reserve for the day the “i” branding starts to lose its appeal. After all, the original Macintosh was an all-in-one. So the iMac just becomes the Apple Mac and the iPhone just becomes the Apple Phone… 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,443member

Mac mini slots well at the low end, the iMac already takes up the middle, and you have the Mac Pro in the stratosphere. 

Adding s “studio” brand just muddled things d add no doesn’t even sound cool. It’s reminiscent of “Microsoft surface studio” or Razer “Studio Edition” laptops. 

If Apple wants to call it’s new display a studio display or Cinema Display or rectangle looky thingy or whatever, they’d one thing. But to throw this dates name in there is kinda lame. 

If they want to have a beefier Mac mini, they can just call it the Mac. It’s not pro, but it’s not mini snd would be an opportunity to tie the mobile and desktop marketing together. 

Slimmer Mac Air (formerly mac mini) / iPad Air / MacBook air / future iPhone air? 

The outlier would be the iMac. The branding doesn’t fit with anything as it doesn’t really correlate to the mobile lines, even though iPhone snd iPad all start the same. 

In truth, the iMac is probably best suited to just be called the Mac as the original Mac was also an all in one. That would put the burden on the rumored beefier mini Mac to be thr outlier, retaining the “mini” name as the old mini gets redesigned snd branded to mac air. 

Hope this is just confuse with the Mac Pro and the current mini is redesigned to a slim device rebranded Mac Air with no higher tier of this concept. Keep the product lines clean, correlating, and sensible. 
    We really shouldn't care about the name or the branding. We should only care about the features+performance for the price for the classes of machines Apple has.

While Apple has considered the AIO iMac and headless desktops as part of the same product line for the past 22 years or so, and therefore no price overlap between them except for options, an AIO and a headless desktop aren't really the same type of computer, and they have different buyers. So, if this Mac Studio occupies price tiers between a Mac mini and a Mac Pro, it is perfectly fine. They can also have iMacs at the same price tiers. Buyers will be able to figure out what they want.

Sure hope it's true that Apple has 3 external displays in mind with a 24", 27" and 32", or thereabout.
    dewmedanoxwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamraoulduke42cgWerksargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 43
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Being based on the Mac mini doesn't mean it has to look like the mini. What I want to see is more ports than the mini. I don't care if there are no Type-A ports, just USB4 and T3 ports. And the latest HDMI, not one or two steps behind. Apple uses "Pro" indiscriminately so I'm not sure what to expect from Studio-Lite. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2seanjdewmewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 19 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    tht said:

We really shouldn't care about the name or the branding. We should only care about the features+performance for the price for the classes of machines Apple has.

While Apple has considered the AIO iMac and headless desktops as part of the same product line for the past 22 years or so, and therefore no price overlap between them except for options, an AIO and a headless desktop aren't really the same type of computer, and they have different buyers. So, if this Mac Studio occupies price tiers between a Mac mini and a Mac Pro, it is perfectly fine. They can also have iMacs at the same price tiers. Buyers will be able to figure out what they want.

Sure hope it's true that Apple has 3 external displays in mind with a 24", 27" and 32", or thereabout.
    It’s Apple. We definitely care about the branding. 

And for a company that’s all about a full on ecosystem of products and services, Apple does too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    This could be exciting.  Whatever it is, hope it has plenty of usb-a and usb-c ports.  Also give us an SD card slot and I’m happy.  An analog headphone jack would be a bonus too.
    williamlondon