Apple developing new 'Apple Studio Display' with 7K resolution

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Apple is reportedly working on an "Apple Studio Display" which at 7K will be higher resolution than the current Pro Display XDR.

Apple's current Pro Display XDR monitors
Apple's current Pro Display XDR monitors

Apple has previously been reported to be working on a successor to the Pro Display XDR. Now a new report says it will be called the "Apple Studio Display," but there are few other details.

It's not clear yet whether it is intended to be a direct successor to the Pro Display XDR, or to offer a higher-resolution option in the same range. There are also no indications yet of any pricing, nor of when it is to be released.

The display is reportedly known internally by the codename J327. A display with that codename has previously been reported to feature a built-in A13 processor.

As first spotted by 9to5mac, the this J327 monitor with dedicated Apple Silicon processor, will be a 7K one. The current Pro Display XDR is a 6K monitor and, with a screen size of 32 inches, runs at a resolution of 6,016 pixels by 3,384 pixels.

Apple could be planning to produce the "Apple Studio Display" in the same 32-inch size, but with a greater pixel density of 245ppi. Or it could be looking to retain the same 218ppi as the present display, but across a larger size such as 36 inches

Previous reports about Apple making new displays have claimed that LG is producing a trio of monitors. In January 2021, it was reported that Apple was working on a lower-cost version of the Pro Display XDR.

No pricing details were reported, but the existence of plans for a display costing less than the Pro Display XDR's $4,999, were then repeated in December 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Maybe it is a 21:9 monitor? ;)

Sounds like it is going to be very expensive and the priced above my company's credit card. Can't get work to easily get it for me.  :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    With the Apple iStand, the 6K costs 6K, so the 7K should cost 7K.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    Wish they'd just go 8k and settle it.

But 7k is better than 6k and it bodes well for a 6k iMac, so it's all good.
    watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Is the 6K already considered "obsolete"?  Would be nice if Apple would fill the segment for us folks that can't afford such an expensive monitor but would like options for a lower-priced monitor in the $1K-$2K range.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    C'mon, man! Gimme a 4K 32" monitor and I'll be happy. I might even be able to afford it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    shareef777shareef777 Posts: 136member
    Still holding out with my pair of LG 5K. Hope Apple comes out with something closer to the $1k range for a monitor. These guys are hitting 6 years in age and one has some horrific image retention.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    macgui said:
    C'mon, man! Gimme a 4K 32" monitor and I'll be happy. I might even be able to afford it!
    There are already hundreds of 32" 4K monitors available for as low as $300. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobradewmefastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 13
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    sflocal said:
    Is the 6K already considered "obsolete"?  Would be nice if Apple would fill the segment for us folks that can't afford such an expensive monitor but would like options for a lower-priced monitor in the $1K-$2K range.

Yes, just like Ferrari should fill the segment for us folks who can't afford to spend $400k on an 812 GTS.  A $99 watch from Richard Mille would be nice too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Why not 8K+?  8K TVs have been out for years.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    flydog said:
    sflocal said:

Yes, just like Ferrari should fill the segment for us folks who can't afford to spend $400k on an 812 GTS.  A $99 watch from Richard Mille would be nice too.
    Apple don’t operate in the Ferrari or Richard Mille price brackets. They sell consumer electronics with wide appeal.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cpsro said:
    Why not 8K+?  8K TVs have been out for years.
    Good question. I think it’s because 8K isn’t the priority, not right now or anytime soon. It’s about their Pro customers being able to display the other, more-effective improvements to high-end televisions that really matter (with regard to the human eye and visual experience) and can be seen, like contrast ratios, refresh rates, color ranges and depths, and brightness. High-end 8K Ultra HD televisions don’t look great because they are 8K, they look great because they are improved in all those other areas.
    edited March 2022 dewme
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Reading my comment above, it strikes me that “Ultra” is the key word in the name of the official industry standard: 8K Ultra HD. It’s also the key element in the name of the 4K industry standard, UHD = Ultra HD. 

So I’m going to go out in a limb and predict there will, in fact, be one more type of M1 silicon, the “M1 Ultra.” It will have a focus on the realm of GPU performance, and not be a big step beyond the M1 Max in terms of CPU performance. It could even be the rumored 12-core, with enhanced graphics. 
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 13 of 13
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    My vote based on anecdotal trials would be 40" in both an 8K 'retina' and an affordable 4K 'for the rest of us', which could both scale in line with the Apple Cinema and Thunderbolt displays @ 110 dpi... While opinions vary 4K seems to optimize visual acuity generally at desktop distance and I have found 'immersive' especially with some monitor curvature...

Is 8k overkill at desktop distance ?  goodcalculators.com/tv-viewing-distance-calculator/  www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship
    edited March 2022