Rumored 'Mac Studio' and new Apple display leaked in renders

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Renders based on leaked information for the rumored "Mac Studio" have emerged, showing a taller Mac mini-like design and a new Apple display similar to the Pro Display XDR, both of which could be announced during the Tuesday Apple event.

A 'Mac Studio' render from AppleTrack, Luke Miani, and Ian Zelbo
A 'Mac Studio' render from AppleTrack, Luke Miani, and Ian Zelbo

Rumors have rapidly escalated surrounding Apple's potential new pro Mac called the "Mac Studio." After initial rumors began, some say it has been completed and may even be shown during the "Peek Performance" Apple Event.

According to AppleTrack, Luke Miani has details about the "Mac Studio" and worked with render artist Ian Zelbo, who has worked with Jon Prosser in the past. The renders show a monitor that takes inspiration from the 24-inch iMac and Pro Display XDR, and a small Mac mini-like device meant to be the new pro desktop Mac dubbed "Mac Studio."

The sources described the "Mac Studio" as resembling two Mac minis stacked on top of each other with silver sides, a white top, and rounded corners similar to the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro. It is about 4 inches tall with a similar footprint to the Mac mini. This is similar to how the new Mac Pro was described in previous leaks.

A new pro Mac with a small desktop footprint. Render by Luke Miani and Ian Zelbo
A new pro Mac with a small desktop footprint. Render by Luke Miani and Ian Zelbo

The rumored display is said to be 27-inches diagonally and has thicker bezels than the Pro Display XDR and no circular hole pattern in the rear casing. The renders show a stand and design similar to Apple's existing 24-inch iMac.

Miani says the products may be announced during the Tuesday event, but Apple has been known to be "historically fluid" with release dates and announcements for new products. His leak accuracy has been middling so far, with a miss on the release window for AirPods 3, but nailing down details of the new MacBook Pro redesigns down to port specs.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Haven't his rumors ended with him falling flat on his face before? 

The Mac Studio name was leaked before he leaked this, the rest as a taller Mac Mini could be a good guess, but I haven't seen Luke prove to have good insider sources 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 53
    shareef777shareef777 Posts: 136member
    Looking forward to learning more about the display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Nothing has leaked, some dude has just made a mock up.
    edited March 2022 davebarnesaderuttersdw2001thtJapheymattinozPrometheuflydogwatto_cobraentropys
  • Reply 4 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I don't know...maybe this will pan out, but I don't really get the market for this product.  The new iMac is more than powerful enough for anything other than real pro video/photo/design use. It's sleek enough for pretty    I am much more inclined to believe we'll see an updated 27" iMac.  

And as for the market, I've been around here long enough to know that the Apple Nerds™ are always clamoring for a headless iMac.  The thing is, they seem to be the only ones.  Anyone disagree? Maybe I'm missing it.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 53
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    A headless Mac that is not a Mac mini really needs expandability.  So a shorter, smaller version of the MacPro would be cool.  An overweight Mac mini does not fit the bill. 
    ravnorodomdavebarneswilliamlondonviclauyycwatto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 53
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Not everyone wants a AIO Mac. These "mini's" are placed in racks, cabinets, AV consoles, etc. Mac users desire some of the benefits available on other platforms as well as having the computation power and scaling capabilities.

I'm still holding out...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 53
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 694member
    MacPro is just way overly expensive. They used to be affordable but not anymore. Mac mini is under power. As for iMac, I prefer my own monitors setup (2 of the same size and spec monitors setup side by side). But I do like iMac specs. I hope the new Mac will be the headless iMac. And please, Apple, don't name it The New Mac.
    edited March 2022 williamlondonPrometheuwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 53
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    I don't understand why it would need to be taller than a standard Mac Mini.  More heat dissipation for faster components?  Because as far as expandability goes, TB/USB-C ports certainly don't need that much extra space.  And it wouldn't be enough space for expansion cards.
    anomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 53
    I fail to see the value of a larger Mac mini, given that the Apple Silicon-based Mac mini line is not upgradable — consumers can't upgrade the memory, storage, or graphics.

A smaller Mac Pro ("Mac Studio"?), on the other hand, implies upgradability by consumers. Or does it? We have yet to see whether Apple will include upgradability of memory, storage, graphics, or other features on any Apple Silicon-based Mac. To date, no M1-based Macintosh has been upgradable internally, and they don't even support external GPUs. (Or am I forgetting something?)

I do see the value in having a traditional small-case, non-upgradable Mac mini with M1 Pro, M1 Max, and/or future M2 processors, given the well-established performance specs of Apple Silicon to date, with benchmarks that often meet or exceed Intel-based Mac Pro desktops. For those of us who need or even prefer desktop computers, I would love to have the option of keeping my existing monitors (and other external devices, like storage) while more affordably replacing the desktop computer itself every few years. The traditional small Mac mini has been great for that as long as its performance met your needs — and with M1 Pro, M1 Max, or future variants inside that take performance to Intel-based Mac Pro levels (if not beyond), the traditional small Mac mini might even be perfect for that.

On the other hand, if a future Mac mini equipped with an M1 Pro or M1 Max processor costs as much (or nearly as much) as a similarly-equipped iMac or MacBook Pro, what's the point? I hope Apple doesn't overprice these next-gen Mac minis.
    edited March 2022 mobirdthtwilliamlondonanomewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    That's a Dell design.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 53
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    sdw2001 said:
    I don't know...maybe this will pan out, but I don't really get the market for this product.  The new iMac is more than powerful enough for anything other than real pro video/photo/design use. It's sleek enough for pretty    I am much more inclined to believe we'll see an updated 27" iMac.  

And as for the market, I've been around here long enough to know that the Apple Nerds™ are always clamoring for a headless iMac.  The thing is, they seem to be the only ones.  Anyone disagree? Maybe I'm missing it.  
    Call me an Apple Nerd but I might be interested depending on the price. Literally the ONLY reason I have an iMac is because at the time the Mac Mini was long in the tooth and was not a good buy. I would have preferred something with a separate monitor.
    Assuming it is as shown, I would be looking for expandability. A second drive slot at least. Otherwise I would look at the existing M1 Mini, which is a good deal right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    DrBoar2DrBoar2 Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    A Mini should cost less than a PB with similar CPU/GPU. I  still have my G4 tower, that I added faster CPU, USB-2 and SATA to. A Studio does not need that upgradebility but at least the ability to add more disks and RAM would be nice. It still would be less upgradable than my LCII :D

I do not see a point in a return to the external powerbrick as the earliest minis. I asume that the current mini volume is enough for a M1Pro or M1Max and a PSU, so what is the point in shrinking it and then have an external brick?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    I fail to see the value of a larger Mac mini, given that the Apple Silicon-based Mac mini line is not upgradable — consumers can't upgrade the memory, storage, or graphics.

A smaller Mac Pro ("Mac Studio"?), on the other hand, implies upgradability by consumers. Or does it? We have yet to see whether Apple will include upgradability of memory, storage, graphics, or other features on any Apple Silicon-based Mac. To date, no M1-based Macintosh has been upgradable internally, and they don't even support external GPUs. (Or am I forgetting something?)

I do see the value in having a traditional small-case, non-upgradable Mac mini with M1 Pro, M1 Max, and/or future M2 processors, given the well-established performance specs of Apple Silicon to date, with benchmarks that often meet or exceed Intel-based Mac Pro desktops. For those of us who need or even prefer desktop computers, I would love to have the option of keeping my existing monitors (and other external devices, like storage) while more affordably replacing the desktop computer itself every few years. The traditional small Mac mini has been great for that as long as its performance met your needs — and with M1 Pro, M1 Max, or future variants inside that take performance to Intel-based Mac Pro levels (if not beyond), the traditional small Mac mini might even be perfect for that.

On the other hand, if a future Mac mini equipped with an M1 Pro or M1 Max processor costs as much (or nearly as much) as a similarly-equipped iMac or MacBook Pro, what's the point? I hope Apple doesn't overprice these next-gen Mac minis.
    I could see an M1 Pro chip in the Mini and 24” iMac, but I would think most folks needing the power of an M1 Max would also want the ability to expand. 
  • Reply 14 of 53
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The displays to beat IMHO are the 27 inch LG Ultrafine (5K thunderbolt and about AUD$1800) and the Dell ultrasharp U2723QE (4K IPS black tech USBC dock and about AUD$930). I believe both are only 60hz.
    so it is possible to to outdo either of them just by having an LCD to compete with them with a full power dock and 120hz and an attractive chassis.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 53
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    Perhaps the new "Studio" Mac and display are in lieu of a new "iMac Pro." Many professionals would like to choose what monitor they are going to use for their workflow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I don't understand the double-height Mac Mini.  They current ASi Mini has over 50% volume wasted.  Nothing.  So what would necessitate this "render" to be double-height?
    mattinozCheeseFreezeargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 53
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Like a few people above, a taller Mac mini makes no sense, unless it is tall enough for PCI slots, and that doesn't seem to be. I don't see Apple putting in space for spinning rust drives in this day and age, if they allow for disk expansion, it will be NVMe or smaller.

That much empty space doesn't make much sense, unless this thing is going to run really hot, which doesn't seem to be borne out by the other Apple Si Macs.

In other words, I think a mini-tower is probably a better configuration for a proposed "Mac Studio" to allow for expansion slots. So I don't see this as likely at all. Still, I don't work for Apple's design unit, so what do I know?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 53
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Ugh. Let’s hope the design is different. This is ugly.
    tenthousandthingsravnorodom
  • Reply 19 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Logic people, can we have a little logic. 
    The M1 MacMini uses about half the volume of the device compared to the Intel MacMini. Also not a lot of the thermal envelop. 

Apple could put an M1 Max or more in the old design and still have design up their sleeve. 
    What is on earth was the mock-up artist thinking might need the device to be twice as high. No need to increase power supply or cooling capacity without some additional function in there. Afterburner or second SOC would seem to be the only options seeing they are saying non-3rd Party. But then you need lots of cooling say front to back if they are vertical fin to fit in the space. 

If it is going to take even a half-length card as an option the doubling direction is still all wrong.  

entropysargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 53
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    Stop giving these excess credibility by calling these renders, they are artist’s impressions. A render would be generated from the actual design files…
    godofbiscuitswatto_cobra