Safari Translation uncovers March 8 event hints on international Apple sites

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2022
Every Apple site in the world is on-message about the March 8 event - but there are tantalizing differences in how some of them are describing it.

There are people who take microscopes to Apple invitations like the March 8 one, to look for clues for what an event will reveal. If you're going to do that, though, you should at least go all the way - and examine Apple invitations from around the globe.

In truth, you know for absolute certain that the finest copywriters money can buy work on Apple's website and nothing is written by accident, nothing is written without being vetted. Yet Apple does provide a way to undo some of that writing using Machine Learning.

It's called Safari Translation, and with the click of a button you can have a foreign language website re-rendered in English. There are still only around half a dozen languages you can do this with, but it is an amazing feature for serious work - and not so serious work, too.

'Peek performance' in other words

So if you should go to Apple's Japan website and click that translate button, this is what Safari Machine Learning thinks it really says. "The ban on the highest peak is lifted."

That sounds somehow suitably poetic for Japan, and translated French goes for a more theatrical approach. "The performance enters the scene," says Apple France.

Germany sounds like it's criticizing all rivals, since the March 8 event will reveal "our idea of performance." And Brazil goes for a steadier "An unprecedented performance."

Apple Italy's strapline machine-translates into "Come and see what a performance."

The differences are subtle, and this is surely as much a measure of Safari's automatic translation as anything else. But it does also feel like a little like these different countries having just the slightest different take on the event.

Unless you're talking about China, in which case "Peek performance" is just perfunctorily translated as "Apple Special Events." Curiously, China is the only one of these sites that doesn't headline the event - you have to scroll down below all the iPhone links there.

The worth of machine translation

"Don Quixote" writer Miguel de Cervantes famously said that reading translation is like looking at the back of a tapestry. Or probably, anyway: he said it in Spanish.

There is more than a chance that using Safari translation to convert back what Apple copywriters first translated by hand gets us nothing but a repeat of the Pepsi effect.

That was when the drink's slogan "Come alive with Pepsi," was allegedly translated in China as "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead."

But you can least be sure of this. The March 8 event is not going to just launch the mildly refreshed iPhone SE, not if Japan believes "the ban on the highest peak is lifted."

Read on AppleInsider
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    On the Mexican site, it says "Una cita con la velocidad", which means "An appointment with speed".
    Anilu_777ronnJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    the ban on the highest peak is lifted.

Maybe a new oxygen system for mountain climbers?  Maybe with A series chip and sensors so that performance is increased on the ability to climb high places. /h

or maybe a higher limit in altitude that Apple supports their products functioning at? /h

/h = humor/ humour 
    edited March 2022 Anilu_777ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    On the Greek site the invitation isn’t there at all. Oh oh.  :'(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    And on the Marklar site: "Marklar on the highest Marklar will be Marklar" 
    Japheythtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    The Russian site is down.
    bestkeptsecretwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 12
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    An Apple Car that can jam police radar. You read it here first. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    The German site is actually also a play on words, as "unsere Vorstellung von Performance" means both "our introduction of performance" and "our idea/imagination of performance".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    "Don Quixote" writer Miguel de Cervantes famously said that reading translation is like looking at the back of a tapestry. Or probably, anyway: he said it in Spanish.

OMG I am howling. That is one of the best lines all year. 10+
    tenthousandthingsthtfred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    The article is wrong about the Chinese site. It has a version of the event name as well, 高能传送 gāonéng chuánsòng, which means (in a scientific sense) “high-energy transmission” [I see Apple and Google agree with me!]

Chinese wordplays are layered and can employ hidden allusions, so I’m not sure, but in general I’d say this is just auspicious language. Chuánsòng evokes things like passing along knowledge and giving gifts. Gāo means high/peak and néng means ability/skill (in physics it means “energy”).
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    On the Turkish site - "Performansımız başlamak üzere" - Our performance is about to begin.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    chadbag said:
    the ban on the highest peak is lifted.

Maybe a new oxygen system for mountain climbers?  Maybe with A series chip and sensors so that performance is increased on the ability to climb high places. /h

or maybe a higher limit in altitude that Apple supports their products functioning at? /h

/h = humor/ humour 
    SNL All Drug Olympics! It's all about Apple's new Fitness^∞!

Still puts a smile on my face, Then, I realize that was in 1988. I'm old.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sirbryansirbryan Posts: 34member
    The Dutch site says "Zo snel. Mis 't niet." (So fast. Don't miss it.)
    watto_cobra