Rumored 'Mac Studio' and new Apple display leaked in renders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    crowley said:
    Nothing has leaked, some dude has just made a mock up.
    The render is based on someone who saw the actual thing. I don't think it is far off from the real deal.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 22 of 53
    sflocal said:
    I don't understand the double-height Mac Mini.  They current ASi Mini has over 50% volume wasted.  Nothing.  So what would necessitate this "render" to be double-height?
    Take a guess.

1. More cooling for the M1 Max.
    2. More cooling and space for dual M1 Max.

Not hard to figure out. If it's getting bigger, this much bigger, then this is probably the reason.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    entropys said:
    The displays to beat IMHO are the 27 inch LG Ultrafine (5K thunderbolt and about AUD$1800) and the Dell ultrasharp U2723QE (4K IPS black tech USBC dock and about AUD$930). I believe both are only 60hz.
    so it is possible to to outdo either of them just by having an LCD to compete with them with a full power dock and 120hz and an attractive chassis.

The 27" LG is long in the tooth, horrible build quality, and still costs $1300.

An Apple chassis with the iMac's 5K 27" 60Hz LCD panel....without mini LED and without promotion, is already a steal at $999, the rumored price point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    mattinoz said:
    Logic people, can we have a little logic. 
    The M1 MacMini uses about half the volume of the device compared to the Intel MacMini. Also not a lot of the thermal envelop. 

Apple could put an M1 Max or more in the old design and still have design up their sleeve. 
    What is on earth was the mock-up artist thinking might need the device to be twice as high. No need to increase power supply or cooling capacity without some additional function in there. Afterburner or second SOC would seem to be the only options seeing they are saying non-3rd Party. But then you need lots of cooling say front to back if they are vertical fin to fit in the space. 

If it is going to take even a half-length card as an option the doubling direction is still all wrong.  

The current Mac mini case couldn't run the M1 Max at sustained performance. It would need to be bigger with better active cooling.

And it certainly couldn't run dual M1 Max, which is something that's coming. Whether it starts with the Mac Studio, or much later with the Mac Pro, remains to be seen.
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 53
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Prometheu said:
    mattinoz said:
    The M1 MacMini uses about half the volume of the device compared to the Intel MacMini. Also not a lot of the thermal envelop. 

Apple could put an M1 Max or more in the old design and still have design up their sleeve. 
    What is on earth was the mock-up artist thinking might need the device to be twice as high. No need to increase power supply or cooling capacity without some additional function in there. Afterburner or second SOC would seem to be the only options seeing they are saying non-3rd Party. But then you need lots of cooling say front to back if they are vertical fin to fit in the space. 

If it is going to take even a half-length card as an option the doubling direction is still all wrong.  

The current Mac mini case couldn't run the M1 Max at sustained performance. It would need to be bigger with better active cooling.
    But yet the MacBook Pro can.  My guess is that, if it needs that much cooling space, it's going to be something more powerful than the M1 Max.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 53
    auxio said:
    Prometheu said:
    mattinoz said:

But yet the MacBook Pro can.  My guess is that, if it needs that much cooling space, it's going to be something more powerful than the M1 Max.
    M1 Ultra
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 53
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    auxio said:
    Prometheu said:
    mattinoz said:

M1 Ultra
    Sounds a bit like Michelob Ultra  :D

I was thinking that since the M-series has been mostly used in laptops (Mobile), they might use something like W1 for Workstation class hardware
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ... perhaps there is a new compact expansion card format and or standard in the works ...?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Prometheu said:

An Apple chassis with the iMac's 5K 27" 60Hz LCD panel....without mini LED and without promotion, is already a steal at $999, the rumored price point.
    I will be shocked if the price is $999. I’m expecting it to be closer to $2000.
    entropysargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    auxio said:
    auxio said:
    Prometheu said:
    mattinoz said:

M1 Ultra
    Sounds a bit like Michelob Ultra  :D

I was thinking that since the M-series has been mostly used in laptops (Mobile), they might use something like W1 for Workstation class hardware
    Oh that would be funny. Intel just announced a plan to beat the M1, (in a couple of years). So a week later Apple releases a system with chip optimized for Workstations, the W series, that runs circles around the Best M series chip. 

Intel managers start drinking. 
    argonautauxiowatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Could it be fanless? That weird height seems like it might be about heat.

I can imagine the sell — talking all about how the first desktop-class M1 SoC goes above and beyond (ultra literally means “beyond”) and so on, then at the end, the kicker: oh, by the way, recording in your studio? No problem — this box is completely silent.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 53
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Yes, it’s more likely to be the form factor of a shrunken Pro, than a fattened Mini. If anything, the Mini will get smaller. Or Mini-er. Like a Nano. 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    takeo said:
    Prometheu said:

I will be shocked if the price is $999. I’m expecting it to be closer to $2000.
    Yes, it would be priced above the LG Ultrafine, using a 5K IPS back tech panel which would be made by LG but not yet in the LG Ultrafine, only in the 4K dell ultrasharp at the moment. 
    So I expect AUD$2000 incl. GST or USD$1500.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 53
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    This is what happens when Jony Ive has left the building... ;) /j
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Maybe Apple let a fake design get seen to throw the leakers off.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Prometheu said:
    mattinoz said:

And it certainly couldn't run dual M1 Max, which is something that's coming. Whether it starts with the Mac Studio, or much later with the Mac Pro, remains to be seen.
    M1 Max runs about 100ish watts on peak test with the power brick not dissimilar to the i7 top-end chip in the last intel variation. So Power supply and thermal envelop would seem to allow it without making the case bigger. An M2 Max shouldn't differ that much but that's assuming new version is required to have the interface added to talk the other heat generator making the case twice the size. 

Again if they want to keep the heat down it wants lots of airflow and well enclosed case of the mini doesn't seem to be the right look. I would have expected design queues from the mac pro, maybe not cheese grater panels but big fans and heat sink lumps. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The big surprise? That case is just the I/O and power supply. The computer itself is in the brick on the floor
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    DAalseth said:
    The big surprise? That case is just the I/O and power supply. The computer itself is in the brick on the floor
    and contains a sub-woofer. Which can be purchased as an accessory to the iMac Studio?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Yeah I’m calling fake news on the Mac mini render
    mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 53
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    The return of the Cube!

Bring back the HK SoundSticks w/ the subwoofer & the lampshade iMac. Apple can go full early '00s  :D

edited March 2022 watto_cobra