Chrome beats Safari in Apple's Speedometer browser test

Posted:
in Mac Software
Google Chrome has become the fastest web browser on Mac, with it managing to outpace Safari in Apple's Speedometer browser responsiveness tests.

Over the years, improvements have been made to Chrome to make it work better and faster in macOS. The developers of Chromium, the basis of Google Chrome, now say that its browser is now running better than Apple's Safari in terms of speed.

In a blog post on Monday, the team claims that M99, Chrome on Mac, has achieved a score of 300 in Apple's Speedometer browser responsiveness benchmark. The score is reportedly the highest of any browser to have taken the test to date.

To achieve the score, the team expanded on other earlier performance improvements by enabling ThinLTO, a build optimization technique that "inlines speed-critical parts of the code base, even when they span multiple files or libraries," the post states.

By enabling ThinLTO, Chrome's speed bump made it faster than current Safari builds by 7%. When it is added to other recent graphics optimizations, the team's tests push Chrome's lead to 15% faster than Safari.

Other recent improvements include the V8 Sparkplug JavaScript compiler, which generates code with a low compilation overhead. By also using short builtin calls that optimize the placement of code in memory, the result is a boost to performance by "avoiding indirect jumps when calling functions."

The test was conducted on Speedometer 2.0, running on a 14-inch MacBook Pro with an M1 Max, 32 GPU cores, and 64GB of memory, while connected to power.

"Overall, since launching Chrome on M1-based Macs in late 2020, Chrome is now 43% faster than it was just 17 months ago!" claims the team.

Benchmarks are only one way to ascertain the fastest browser, but Chrome engineering senior director Max Christoff also insists "what matters most is that Chrome is actually faster and more efficient in everyday usage." Christoff promises the team will invest more on "innovative performance improvements" for the browser.

In previous major updates, March 2021 had assurances that work was being done to reduce the resource usage of Chrome on macOS. In August, a beta of Chrome included a change to graphical processing that leverages Metal.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    The better performance is not sufficient to mitigate the privacy issues.
    jas99williamlondongeekmeeAlex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    Anything can be faster if it gobbles up inordinate amount of resources. Safari on the other fast yet still efficient in its use of resources. 
    FlytrapwilliamlondongeekmeeAlex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    FlytrapFlytrap Posts: 60member
    mykem said:
    Anything can be faster if it gobbles up inordinate amount of resources. Safari on the other fast yet still efficient in its use of resources. 
    Agreed... a super fast browser that keeps the fans whirling at full speed and cuts the battery life significantly is not something I am excited about, unless I am working on something computationally intensive and know that I will be tethered to a mains power source for the duration of that process.
    jas99dewmewilliamlondonpscooter63geekmeeAlex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    I don’t care, still will not use it. Privacy is more important than a few million seconds. 
    jas99montrosemacsdarkvaderAlex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    As others have already pointed out, raw performance isn't all that important.  What good is a browser that blows away the competition in CPU benchmark, when it bogs down your system as you open more browser tabs because it's a memory hog?  And that's not even considering privacy.

I use Safari almost exclusively.  Only two cases where I resort to Chrome: on the work side when testing my applications for cross-browser compatibility and on the private side, when I need to go to a foreign-language web site.  Safari is nowhere near as good as Chrome in auto-translating web sites to English.  Especially since Safari only supports a handful of languages :-(
    williamlondonAlex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Now your private data will be stolen and sent to Google's servers even faster.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I see no difference at all on my iMac 2020. 

williamlondonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Meh.  I don't care if Firefox is slower than both of them, it's got uBlock Origin and NoScript and isn't from Google.

(It's not slower.)
    Alex_V
  • Reply 9 of 13
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Google still doesn’t get it and is working the crowd that still believes there is a ‘free lunch’ out there.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    And all the faster to sell you to advertisers…
    ’My little pretty!’
    edited March 2022 williamlondonAlex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    mykem said:
    Chrome wins the biggest pig test of all time, beating Quarkxpress. 
    Alex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    seandoseando Posts: 4member
    The minute I use Chrome the fans ramp up and the machine slows down. 
    Alex_Vwilliamlondonchasmwatto_cobragephyrophobia
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I understand people who need to run Chrome, just not the people who want to.
    watto_cobra