DDR Modem : V92 ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
There's an internet provider in my town which says it support the v92 protocol, which is supposed to be faster than ordinary v90 protocol. Is this true ?

I'm connected to the internet with the internal modem (no fast connection) of my dual DDR 867 MHz, with another internet provider. Is the internal modem of this Mac v92 ? Is this protocol supported by the OS X (Jag) ?

Should I change my internet provider, because of this v92 support ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    frostymmbfrostymmb Posts: 131member
    The modem in your Mac is V.92. Don't switch unless you'll save money because the difference is negligible. Get broadband if you want any more speed, since it's fairly cheap now.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    v.92 ? Are you sure ? In the documentation which came on the HD of my machine, it doesn't mention any v.92. Only v.90.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I'm pretty certain all shipping Macs use v92 modems now...but it doesn't make all that much of a difference.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    All I know is now my PB 12" has it. I think the DDR Macs do too.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    If the documentation says V.90, I was wrong. Either way, there's not a significant difference.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Is there a way to know it from the inside, I mean with the OS tools ?

The internet provider claims it may be up to 25% to 60% speedier, depending on the data transfered, than with the v.90 protocol. A technician to which I talked said there's a noticable difference.

I should change, because there's a noticable price difference too, compared to my actual internet provider (which I find costly for a basic internet access).
  • Reply 7 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    yeah, sure, switch. But if there is a major price difference, and if you're satisfied with your current surfin', than don't bother.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

yeah, sure, switch. But if there is a major price difference, and if you're satisfied with your current surfin', than don't bother.

Well, ..., it could always be better you know ! It's only a basic internet access, and it's never fast enough, especially for games like Quake. I don't want to pay extra bucks for the high speed internet, only for a game or for the file download time. I find that all those high speed internet providers ask too much here, in Montreal. Just too costly.

Anyway, is there a software way to ask my internal modem if he's v.92, or not ? If he says he's v.90, I may kick his butt !
  • Reply 9 of 16
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB

If the documentation says V.90, I was wrong. Either way, there's not a significant difference.

IIRC, the only advantages of the V.92 protocol are faster upload speeds, and the ability to use the telephone and the modem on the same line simultaneously (I don't think download speeds are any faster over V.90). But that's only *IF* your ISP supports V.92 (I could be wrong, of course.). I can't say if most ISP's do support it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot didn't. About 90% of the PC's I've seen have V.90 modems.

Frankly, I don't see any point of changing ISP's over this...a 56k modem is a 56k modem, IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think that this is a surefire way of telling whether a modem is v.92 or not, but this is just from a fact I heard:

1. Connect to the Web.

2 Click on the Modem Icon on the menubar.

3. If there is a 'standby' option or something like that on the menu, then i think it's v.92, because v.92 modems have an option of partially disconnecting, so you can make a phonecall, instead of fully disconecting. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Translation: Correct me)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think that this is a surefire way of telling whether a modem is v.92 or not, but this is just from a fact I heard:

1. Connect to the Web.

2 Click on the Modem Icon on the menubar.

3. If there is a 'standby' option or something like that on the menu, then i think it's v.92, because v.92 modems have an option of partially disconnecting, so you can make a phonecall, instead of fully disconecting. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Translation: Correct me)

Apple System Profiler (at least in X) will also tell you, no?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I used the system profiler, and it doesn't say anything about the internal modem.

In the network prefs panel, there's a menu with a lot of modem choices. By default, I have selected the Apple 56k v90. But there's also an Apple 56k v92 there.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    What V.92 is supposed to offer:

Increased upstream rates - up to 48k by using a PCM stream through an a/d conversion. [Still, only 1 a/d conversion is required: if you have trouble getting 56k rates with V.90, there will be no improvement.] As of September, 2002, most server-side modems do not support PCM upstream at all, and those that do - 3Com & Patton - support a maximum upstream rate of 33.3kbps - less than the maximum V.34 upstream!

Quick Connect - The time to establish a connection may be reduced with faster handshaking.

Modem On Hold - Allows modems to stay connected 'on-hold' while you take an incoming call-waiting call, or initiate an outgoing voice call. (Works only if V.92 server modem is configured to allow this feature.)

from here

Isn't google wonderful!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    you can tell by doing this:

go to your modem tab of network preferences and if you have an option to "Notify me of incoming calls" then its v.92.

sorry if this dosen't make sense im not by an OS X box right now...

My quciksilver came with a v.92 and I have a v.92 ISP

It is alot faster here I can only get 28-32K with a 56K ISP, but I get 43 - 45K with my v.92 ISP (I use syracuse.net)

Plus I can take a call while online (it puts the internet on hold, then it can resume)
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

It is alot faster here I can only get 28-32K with a 56K ISP, but I get 43 - 45K with my v.92 ISP (I use syracuse.net)

By K you mean kbps, not KBps. Either way, in comparison to 512kbps to 1024kpbs cable or DSL, 56K modems are becoming a pretty ancient form of connecting to the internet, even if they are still widely used.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Yes, dial up does suck royally :-)

We are getting Cable internet 3000/384 in May and i am SO excited, we moved to this area last year and before we had DSL at 768K both ways, I miss it and am excited about the 3MBit!