Apple launches the 27-inch Apple Studio Display with 5K, speakers, camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The latest LG LCDs have this thing called IPS black technology that doubles the contrast ratio and ends up with blacker blacks.  
    It is in the new 27 inch and 32 inch 4K dell ultrasharp displays, but not yet in a shipping LG display. I assume these Apple 5k displays have it.

I can’t justify the more than double price difference with the dell, in Australia it’s 240% more with a more limited dock. 320% more if you want to pay for the extra adjustable stand (you have to pay extra for that!!!). The only things it has over the dell is a sexy aluminium frame and more USBc ports, speakers and camera, and 5K of course, and I don’t see the point of thunderbolt anymore.  But then the dell has a wider array of port options.
    inwas expecting it to be about $200 more than the LG Ultrafine, eg USD$1500. The dell is USD$750. 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The stand options are a bit bizarre.  Why not use the same connector as the XDR?

The VESA mount looks sketchy.

zigzaglens
  • Reply 23 of 52
    docno42 said:
    Finally!  Apple produces a reasonable display.  May have to get one of these for my MacBook Pro - and I wasn't thinking about that, at all!  Love that center stage finally came to the Mac too.  
    The display is a total rip off.  Price is insane considering this nearly same 5k display has been offered in the 27” iMac for years. 
    entropysindieshack
  • Reply 24 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    KBuffett said:
    Does anyone know if this can be used with a PC?
    This is the LG 5K in an aluminum shell.
    LG has always provided the LCD screens to Apple.  Heck, my 2020 5K iMac is probably using an LG panel.  What's your point?

It's it's just not a "shell", but you keep going with your narrative.
    Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 52
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    crowley said:
    The stand options are a bit bizarre.  Why not use the same connector as the XDR?

I assume the actual mount attachment point is where the cross-bar on the VSEA points sits. The VESA adapter extends a little below to reduce the lever effect from the far mount points. Should be great mechanically, but yes, it's more than a little weird aesthetically.

The XDR connector is probably too expensive for the price target. The height-and-tilt stand for this is $400 more, but the same stand (presumably with stiffer springs and clutches) is $1k for the XDR. That suggests to me the connector on the stand side is a significant cost. Not $600, but also not $50. To use it here probably would have pushed the display's cost up $100 or more and opened them to people joking about using their $1700 screen with a $1000 stand.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 52
    docno42 said:
    docno42 said:
    KBuffett said:
    This is nothing like the LG 5K display - not sure why people feel compelled to spout such nonsense.
    Except that it is a 5K 27” panel made by LG, so it is something like it. 
    It's A panel made by LG - LG doesn't offer the coatings Apple does.
    LG isn't offering the camera.
    LG isn't offering the speakers.
    LG isn't offering the connectivity options.
    And yes, LG isn't offering the stand options either.

But yeah, other than that, they are completely the same :open_mouth: 
    You realize most of these options in a display are nice to have but not essential. A $100 set of  External speakers will blow this out of the water and the connectivity options are on the Mac studio as well.  This is a slight upgrade of the old 5k 27” Retina display that has been around for years but now the price is sky high.  
    entropys
  • Reply 27 of 52
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    docno42 said:
    docno42 said:
    docno42 said:
    KBuffett said:
    This is nothing like the LG 5K display - not sure why people feel compelled to spout such nonsense.
    Except that it is a 5K 27” panel made by LG, so it is something like it. 
    It's A panel made by LG - LG doesn't offer the coatings Apple does.
    LG isn't offering the camera.
    LG isn't offering the speakers.
    LG isn't offering the connectivity options.
    And yes, LG isn't offering the stand options either.

But yeah, other than that, they are completely the same :open_mouth: 
    Note that I said *panel*. 
    And how do you know the *panel* is exactly the same?   There haven't been any improvements in backlights?  LCD response time? 

Zero?   Seriously?
    I didn’t say any of that. I said they’re *something* alike versus nothing alike. Are you dense?
    grandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 52
    shareef777shareef777 Posts: 136member
    sflocal said:
    KBuffett said:
    LG has always provided the LCD screens to Apple.  Heck, my 2020 5K iMac is probably using an LG panel.  What's your point?

Jesus, you apple fanboys are unbearable. If a comment isn't a glowing review of Apple it's "narrative". It's the same design as the LG 5K (no buttons, built-in camera, speakers,  4 ports on the back, and single uplink cable design). Sure it has newer tech in it, sure AF would hope so after 6 years,but it's functionally the same as the LG 5K but in a prettier shell. Point is that it's NOT anything revolutionary compared to the LG 5K.

Ya'll acting like it's a dis somehow. I love my pair of LG 5Ks and think this is a great replacement for them. Wouldn't get one myself because of the higher cost, but happy for those that got the money for it.
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73elijahg
  • Reply 29 of 52
    zimmie said:
    crowley said:

I assume the actual mount attachment point is where the cross-bar on the VSEA points sits. The VESA adapter extends a little below to reduce the lever effect from the far mount points. Should be great mechanically, but yes, it's more than a little weird aesthetically.

The XDR connector is probably too expensive for the price target. The height-and-tilt stand for this is $400 more, but the same stand (presumably with stiffer springs and clutches) is $1k for the XDR. That suggests to me the connector on the stand side is a significant cost. Not $600, but also not $50. To use it here probably would have pushed the display's cost up $100 or more and opened them to people joking about using their $1700 screen with a $1000 stand.
    The XDR Pro Stand also has rotation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Was really hoping for something larger than 27”. I’m still on 30” Apple Cinema Displays (1 at home, 2 at the office) and I can’t help but feel like -3” is a downgrade even though I know the display itself will be far superior. Think I’ll wait til I can see one in person.

Side note, kinda expected a price reduction on the XDR/stand, but no movement there. 
    StrangeDaysindieshackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 52
    zimmie said:
    crowley said:

Having to pay $400 for height and tilt is going to open them up to plenty of joking anyway.
    aderutterentropyselijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 52
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 122member
    An insane price for a monitor that can only do 60hz. Even my current monitor can do 144hz and it’s so much nicer on the eyes. Although it’s not 5K.  

Cost a fraction of the price though and has Gsync / active sync. It may not be in the same class colour wise but the refresh rate is so much nicer and I have no issues with the image or colour quality. 
    entropys
  • Reply 33 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I will settle for the much, much cheaper dell 4K ultrasharps.  Not as pretty, but they’ll do.
    along with a maxed out Mac mini both will be only a tad over the price of this monitor alone. Velcro the mini on the back of the dell display and I have a 27 inch M1 iMac with a tonne of port options. 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Well F me. 

F*****G FINALLY

Ready to order. Just need to see the nano vs gloss

Thank you Apple ABOUT TIME!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    crowley said:

Sketchy how? I use a VESA mount on the back of my 2019 iMac, it's a separate aluminum add-on piece that my arm screws into -- same exact idea w/ your photo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 52
    crowley said:

Sketchy how? I use a VESA mount on the back of my 2019 iMac, it's a separate aluminum add-on piece that my arm screws into -- same exact idea w/ your photo.
    Fair enough.  I wouldn't be happy with that, not when the Pro Display XDR has such a nice solution.

elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 52
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    I tend to agree with the "rip-off" comments on this one. 

I would expect a 1500 dollar monitor to be hight-adjustable...  :o

I don't' see any specs that hint at a revolutionary display. Unlike the XDR it sure seems to be a re-packaged panel, with goodies added, sold very expensively.

And before you put me in a corner: I'm precisely a so called "fan-boy" who paid $900 for a stand... so I know everything about being taken to the cleaners - voluntarily!

edited March 2022 elijahgzigzaglenswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 52
    I too found myself hesitant because of price since I wanted the adjustable height (+$400!), but the base price seems reasonable. I haven’t seen anyone mention the A13 and whatever that means for the camera and sound. Still I’ll probably do it as it’s perfect for my M1 Mini.

I will hold off on the Mac Studio until the new Pro Display XDR comes out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 52
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member
    sflocal said:
    KBuffett said:

Jesus, you apple fanboys are unbearable. If a comment isn't a glowing review of Apple it's "narrative". It's the same design as the LG 5K (no buttons, built-in camera, speakers,  4 ports on the back, and single uplink cable design). Sure it has newer tech in it, sure AF would hope so after 6 years,but it's functionally the same as the LG 5K but in a prettier shell. Point is that it's NOT anything revolutionary compared to the LG 5K.

Ya'll acting like it's a dis somehow. I love my pair of LG 5Ks and think this is a great replacement for them. Wouldn't get one myself because of the higher cost, but happy for those that got the money for it.

If what you're saying here were true, they'd all be very good points, but it's just not.  I hear your frustration with those responding to you, but they're right. The following is probably overkill to make the point, but you're not getting it from the shorter replies of others, so here it is in detail...

LG 5K:
    • 500 nits
    • USB3 5GBps
    • 14lb
    • 1080p camera (~2MP)
    • Crappy speakers
    • Crappy mic
    • Terrible build quality with persistent hardware issues
    • Woeful LG customer support
    • $1300

Apple Studio 5K: 
    • 600 nits + True Tone
    • USB3 10Gbps
    • 12lb
    • 12MP camera (6x the pixels, + Center Stage)
    • High quality 3 mic array, directional beam forming (if these are anything like the MBP mics then they're amazing)
    • Superior speakers (+ spatial audio)
    • Excellent build quality (presumably, if it's typical Apple).
    • Best in class customer support
    • built in A13 CPU
    • $1600
    Bottom line, other than the 5K resolution part, it's nothing like the LG 5K. Hardly anyone is complaining that you're dissing it. The problem with your comment is it's just plain wrong.

---------------

You said "...it's functionally the same as the LG 5K but in a prettier shell."  and "Point is that it's NOT anything revolutionary compared to the LG 5K."

Those are two very different statements:
    • The second is true: sure, it's not revolutionary. It's not supposed to be. 
    • The first is false. It doesn't have to be revolutionary to be functionally different, and this display is significantly "functionally" different to the LG 5K.
    What do you expect "revolutionary" to be in a mid-tier display? The XDR is revolutionary, and comes with the corresponding price tag. Many (myself included) were disappointed, justifiably, that the XDR is too expensive for our needs. The XDR price is worth it for the features it brings to the relatively small group of high end users it is meant for. But what about the rest of us?

At the other end is all the cheap stuff that Samsung, Dell, LG, etc. make, for < $1K, that all (comparatively) suck. Sure, 4K, 150 dpi, low brightness, washed out color, crappy/no camera/speakers/mic, etc. is fine for a lot of people -- most people, arguably -- and that's great. Good for them (really). But that doesn't meet the needs of some of us.

When you're on the road with a 220+ dpi, 500+ nits, True Tone, amazingly clear MBP display or even the iPhone/iPad displays, and you're used to it, then come back to home/office to washed out, 150 dpi, 350 nits, etc. it's jarring, a strain on the eyes, and a strain on productivity for those of us who make a living with our gear.

So what about that group? In the middle, there's been this gaping hole (in both products, and users who don't need the XDR features, but want more than washed out 4K, 150dpi, 350 nits, etc). The iMac 5K display sits very nicely in that hole, but we couldn't get that for our MBP or Mac mini, without the built in Mac, nor with Apple's build quality, customer service, etc...  Until today.

It's $300 more than the LG, which seems pretty darn reasonable for all the improvements it adds, for the people it's targeted at. As with all Apple products, for the people it is not targeted at, it's a lousy choice, but that's fine because those people have plenty of other choices. But for those of us in the above mentioned hole, this is what we've been waiting for since the Thunderbolt Display was discontinued 10+ years ago.

Those "unbearable ... apple fanboys" (careful with that phrase -- might want to check the forum rules) are faulting your comments, not because they aren't glowing reviews, but because they're just plain wrong.
    fastasleepwelshdogzigzaglensmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 52
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Detnator said:
    sflocal said:
    KBuffett said:

If what you're saying here were true, they'd all be very good points, but it's just not.  I hear your frustration with those responding to you, but they're right. The following is probably overkill to make the point, but you're not getting it from the shorter replies of others, so here it is in detail...

LG 5K:
    • 500 nits
    • USB3 5GBps
    • 14lb
    • 1080p camera (~2MP)
    • Crappy speakers
    • Crappy mic
    • Terrible build quality with persistent hardware issues
    • Woeful LG customer support
    • $1300

Apple Studio 5K: 
    • 600 nits + True Tone
    • USB3 10Gbps
    • 12lb
    • 12MP camera (6x the pixels, + Center Stage)
    • High quality 3 mic array, directional beam forming (if these are anything like the MBP mics then they're amazing)
    • Superior speakers (+ spatial audio)
    • Excellent build quality (presumably, if it's typical Apple).
    • Best in class customer support
    • built in A13 CPU
    • $1600
    Bottom line, other than the 5K resolution part, it's nothing like the LG 5K. Hardly anyone is complaining that you're dissing it. The problem with your comment is it's just plain wrong.

---------------

You said "...it's functionally the same as the LG 5K but in a prettier shell."  and "Point is that it's NOT anything revolutionary compared to the LG 5K."

Those are two very different statements:
    • The second is true: sure, it's not revolutionary. It's not supposed to be. 
    • The first is false. It doesn't have to be revolutionary to be functionally different, and this display is significantly "functionally" different to the LG 5K.
    What do you expect "revolutionary" to be in a mid-tier display? The XDR is revolutionary, and comes with the corresponding price tag. Many (myself included) were disappointed, justifiably, that the XDR is too expensive for our needs. The XDR price is worth it for the features it brings to the relatively small group of high end users it is meant for. But what about the rest of us?

At the other end is all the cheap stuff that Samsung, Dell, LG, etc. make, for < $1K, that all (comparatively) suck. Sure, 4K, 150 dpi, low brightness, washed out color, crappy/no camera/speakers/mic, etc. is fine for a lot of people -- most people, arguably -- and that's great. Good for them (really). But that doesn't meet the needs of some of us.

When you're on the road with a 220+ dpi, 500+ nits, True Tone, amazingly clear MBP display or even the iPhone/iPad displays, and you're used to it, then come back to home/office to washed out, 150 dpi, 350 nits, etc. it's jarring, a strain on the eyes, and a strain on productivity for those of us who make a living with our gear.

So what about that group? In the middle, there's been this gaping hole (in both products, and users who don't need the XDR features, but want more than washed out 4K, 150dpi, 350 nits, etc). The iMac 5K display sits very nicely in that hole, but we couldn't get that for our MBP or Mac mini, without the built in Mac, nor with Apple's build quality, customer service, etc...  Until today.

It's $300 more than the LG, which seems pretty darn reasonable for all the improvements it adds, for the people it's targeted at. As with all Apple products, for the people it is not targeted at, it's a lousy choice, but that's fine because those people have plenty of other choices. But for those of us in the above mentioned hole, this is what we've been waiting for since the Thunderbolt Display was discontinued 10+ years ago.

Those "unbearable ... apple fanboys" (careful with that phrase -- might want to check the forum rules) are faulting your comments, not because they aren't glowing reviews, but because they're just plain wrong.

I think this might be the best reply post I've ever seen on AI.
    Detnatorzigzaglenswatto_cobra