No 'Studio Display Pro' in 2022, suggests Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that cost means Apple may not release any new mini LED screens in 2022, although other analysts maintain a "Studio Display Pro" is still coming.

Apple's current Pro Display XDR monitors
Apple's current Pro Display XDR monitors

The launch of the 5K Studio Display was preceded by supply chain rumors that claimed the screen would be 7K. Rather than simply being wrong, it's possible a higher resolution screen is in the works - but analysts disagree.

Such a screen might be a replacement for the Pro Display XDR, launched over two years ago. If so, it might also be expected to add 120Mhz ProMotion, and feature mini LED backlighting.

However, this is where Ming-Chi Kuo sees a potential problem.

xtw

Apple may not launch new mini-LED products this year due to cost concerns.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

At the same time, though, analyst Ross Young at Display Supply Chain Consultants, maintains that such a higher-end monitor is still intended for June 2022. Young claims that production has already begun.

Still expecting a 27" MiniLED display from Apple in June. Guess it might be a Studio Display ProHave confirmed it with multiple companies in their supply chain

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Apple's new Studio Display is a 27-inch 5K monitor, that starts at $1,599 - but can easily climb to $2,458.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    I tried to find LG's 5K display and it's been discontinued, https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27MD5KA-B-5k-uhd-led-monitor. I have to wonder if Apple is taking all of LG's display production. LG's 34" 21:9 display is out of stock but who knows if that will be returning. LG now only sells a designated 4K display. I am hoping the new Studio Display wasn't built from displays LG couldn't sell, especially for a $1300 price tag (no camera or microphone). Amazon has 7 left in stock so once they're sold, LG won't be replacing them with the current model. I did a search and all the other 5K displays are wide or ultra wide and much bigger. I guess they're having issues making a higher density 27" 5K display so the new Studio Display might be the only 5K display available that really works with the Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Cost is the reason… I find that really hard to believe. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    B-Mc-CB-Mc-C Posts: 41member
    Both analysts could be right, if the panel Ross speaks of is going into an iMac Pro, and not a standalone display. Still hoping. It would also quash the debate over whether Thunderbolt/USB-C cables support 5K @ 120Hz, as the display would be internal and connected with a proprietary connector or whatever they use in an iMac.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    If so, it might also be expected to add 120Mhz 
    Hz, not Mhz.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rob53 said:
    I tried to find LG's 5K display and it's been discontinued, https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27MD5KA-B-5k-uhd-led-monitor. I have to wonder if Apple is taking all of LG's display production. LG's 34" 21:9 display is out of stock but who knows if that will be returning. LG now only sells a designated 4K display. I am hoping the new Studio Display wasn't built from displays LG couldn't sell, especially for a $1300 price tag (no camera or microphone). Amazon has 7 left in stock so once they're sold, LG won't be replacing them with the current model. I did a search and all the other 5K displays are wide or ultra wide and much bigger. I guess they're having issues making a higher density 27" 5K display so the new Studio Display might be the only 5K display available that really works with the Mac.
    The LG ultrawide 5K isn't really a true 5K, it's a 5K x 2K 40" curved panel — so roughly half of the vertical resolution, and only 5K horizontal because it's like a doublewide. So not the same density as the regular 5K.  I just got one set up for my sister at her office after several months of waiting, they were announced in *January 2021* and have now finally just been released. The exact same LG panel is in a Dell and a Lenovo model, the former we had preordered for months and the LG finally appeared before it. The Lenovo was available for some reason ahead of both of the others, but looked kinda horrendous so I waited for one of the other two to appear. The supply chain shortage is real.

This new Studio Display and the XDR's panels I assume are made in the same process as they're the same pixel density, obviously with the XDR getting the LED backlight grid instead of edge-lit, so forth. There may simply not be a better process available yet on LG's end yet to offer anything different, and they may have discontinued the UltraFine 5K because they're largely targeted at Mac users and Apple's is clearly more attractive to buyers.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I can't imagine following up only a few months after the Studio Display with a mini-LED backlit screen that's still only 27", and there's not any reason to increase the resolution at that size.