Somebody has a dual 1.3GHz 7447... but it's not Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    They also claim a DDR interface with the RAM. I wonder if it is pseudo like Apple's or real.

Nick
  • Reply 22 of 24
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

They also claim a DDR interface with the RAM. I wonder if it is pseudo like Apple's or real.

It looks like the bus is the same speed.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I guess that Apple will use the 7457 only in the powerbook line and the 7447 in the I mac line. I have no guess for the future chip of the i book. The sahara 2 ? the 7447 ?.

They may use this new family of chip for the next 18 months. After that they will only use IBM chips.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Apple is probably either accumulating quantities of the chip or waiting for Mot to ramp up production (or both). I figure they'll use it in notebooks, and they'll use standard parts, not special high-voltage parts.

I have a feeling that we've seen the last G4 PowerMac.

You know, this makes a lot of sense in that Apple made a big deal out of "killing" OS 9 on the new hardware this year, which freed up people to shift to development of OS 10.3, both for existing hardware and for the new machines. In particular, they just had to get the people working on the OS for the new machines that are going to be Moto free. There have been some references to the 980 following the 970 early next year which would still be based on the 130 nm process, but then moving to the 90 nm process. When the change in process is made it was anticipated that the power consumption/heat generation issues would be appreciably reduced. This is useful not only to Apple for possible use in laptops (increasing battery life even if they somehow get the heat under control for a 970 version), but to IBM who intends this line of chips to be the basis of their blade servers where heat issues have plagued some of the X86 efforst so far.

Bring it on IBM!