New iPhone SE delivers iPhone 13 performance for $270 less

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
Geekbench test scores for the new iPhone SE show that its performance is in line with that of the 2021 iPhone 13 family.

It's not surprising that the new iPhone SE's performance is on a par with that of the iPhone 13 range, as it sports the same A15 Bionic processor. However, it does mean that the performance is now available in a $429 iPhone, instead of the $699 of the base iPhone 13.

According to the early scores on Geekbench, the iPhone SE has a single-core performance of 1695. Listed under Apple's internal name of "iPhone14,6," it has a multi-core performance of 4021.

For comparison, one Geekbench result for the base iPhone 13 puts its single core score at 1729, with the multi-core one at 4532.

Similarly, scores for the iPhone 13 mini in one testing, show 1739 single-core, and 4711 multi-core. An iPhone 13 Pro test earned 1743 single core, and 4888 multi-core.

And an iPhone 13 Pro Max returned results of 1728 single-core, plus 4715 multi-core.

Geekbench is specifically a processor benchmarking system, so in this case, it solely focuses on the performance of the A15 Bionic. There are other factors affecting the overall speed of a phone, though.

For one, the new iPhone SE has 5G but it is not the same fast, mmWave version in the iPhone 13 range - at least in the US.

Then, too, the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max have displays with 120Hz ProMotion, which makes the phones feel considerably more responsive.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The second sentence in this article is incorrect. 
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 2 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    But simply does not offer the rest of the specs of iPhone 13 in iPhone SE3, mainly screen size. Can someone shed light why Apple can not offer touchid integrated into power button on lower end iPhone like SE3 ? This change can help increase the screen size in the same frame.
    Is it due to the size of power button needed to integrate touchid that cannot be put/fit into the frame of iPhone ? I don't see other reason.

• Reply 3 of 10
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    The SE is great for corporations to use for company phones and for price sensitive people.  However the 13 mini is well worth the additional cost, really liking it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wood1208 said:
    But simply does not offer the rest of the specs of iPhone 13 in iPhone SE3, mainly screen size. Can someone shed light why Apple can not offer touchid integrated into power button on lower end iPhone like SE3 ? This change can help increase the screen size in the same frame.
    Is it due to the size of power button needed to integrate touchid that cannot be put/fit into the frame of iPhone ? I don't see other reason.

There is no technical limitations in implementing what you mentioned. But, that would require Apple to spend lot of effort to design a brand new phone from the scratch. Apple's current approach to SE line up is - Take a 3 or 4 year old phone from the main lineup, swap the SOC (no changes to display, battery, camera, dimensions etc) and make minor changes absolutely required (if any) and call it a day. They don't spend lot of effort in the creation of SE phones. And this is not a criticism towards Apple. This is a brilliant approach from Apple to minimize costs and enables them to make the SE lineup relatively cheaper for the end users.

Due to this approach adopted by Apple, it is also somewhat easy to predict what the next iPhone SE will look like when it comes up 2 years later. My guess would be an iPhone 11, with SoC swapped to the latest one.
    Beats
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wood1208 said:

There is no technical limitations in implementing what you mentioned. But, that would require Apple to spend lot of effort to design a brand new phone from the scratch. Apple's current approach to SE line up is - Take a 3 or 4 year old phone from the main lineup, swap the SOC (no changes to display, battery, camera, dimensions etc) and make minor changes absolutely required (if any) and call it a day. They don't spend lot of effort in the creation of SE phones. And this is not a criticism towards Apple. This is a brilliant approach from Apple to minimize costs and enables them to make the SE lineup relatively cheaper for the end users.

Due to this approach adopted by Apple, it is also somewhat easy to predict what the next iPhone SE will look like when it comes up 2 years later. My guess would be an iPhone 11, with SoC swapped to the latest one.

Excellent believable argument. But, Apple having 100s of design and support engineers; taking current SE iPhone, integrate touchid to power button, increase end to end screen size, and make necessary modifications and offer lower end, lower cost iPhone SE that can be middle to lower end Android phone switcher. Anyway, I will stick to my iPhone 8 until I have under screen touchid or touchid integrated into power button iPhone.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 6 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    wood1208 said:

The design is classic iPhone and the screen size is big enough. Now if they removed the chin and forehead and kept the same screen size, that would be something.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:

The design is classic iPhone and the screen size is big enough. Now if they removed the chin and forehead and kept the same screen size, that would be something.

If you ask iPhone users if iPhone SE frame size is ok and answer most probably may be,yes. bur if you ask about the screen size is big enough and you will get answers with truth, No.Some smart iPhone users may suggest what I suggested.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    wood1208 said:
    Because it's designed to fit the price point, not features checklist. Larger screen = higher cost. TouchID in power button = higher cost. Developing an entirely new iPhone design to do these things = higher cost. They already raised it $30 this gen.

Excellent believable argument. But, Apple having 100s of design and support engineers; taking current SE iPhone, integrate touchid to power button, increase end to end screen size, and make necessary modifications and offer lower end, lower cost iPhone SE that can be middle to lower end Android phone switcher.
    Your argument is basically: build a more expensive iPhone and sell it for the SE's price because I'm going to ignore all the reasons this is priced the way it is already. Do you not see the problem here?

Anyway, I will stick to my iPhone 8 until I have under screen touchid or touchid integrated into power button iPhone.
    You realize that you may never get that, right? 

If you ask iPhone users if iPhone SE frame size is ok and answer most probably may be,yes. bur if you ask about the screen size is big enough and you will get answers with truth, No.Some smart iPhone users may suggest what I suggested.
    And they'd be barking up the same wrong tree as you are. This is precisely why they always sell previous years' models at the intermediate price points. 

edited March 2022 mike1
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

For one, the new iPhone SE has 5G but it is not the same fast, mmWave version in the iPhone 13 range - at least in the US.

Really need to stop implying that this phone has slower 5G performance. Not like AI to provide misleading information.
    The vast majority of people in the vast majority of locations are going to enjoy the same 5G performance as with any of the other 5G phones.
    Simply say that it doesn't include the rarely implemented and still uncommon mmWave technology. This would be technically correct but not misleading.