Netflix wants to crack down on users sharing passwords

Posted:
in General Discussion
Netflix has announced a pair of new measures to charge users sharing passwords between people who don't live in the share household.

Credit: David Balev/Unsplash
Credit: David Balev/Unsplash

In a blog post Wednesday, Chengyi Long, Netflix's director of Product Innovation, said that the new mechanisms are a response to the "confusion about when and how Netflix can be shared."

The most notable anti-password sharing measure is something Netflix is calling "Add an Extra Member," which allows users on Standard and Premium plans to add sub accounts for up to two people they don't live with.

While the extra members are available at a "discounted price," it's still an additional cost on top of the subscription price that Netflix recently hiked to new highs.

Netflix will test the new "Add an Extra Member" mechanism in Chile, Costa Rica, and Peru in the coming months. The additional members will cost 2,380 CLP in Chile, $2.99 in Costa Rica, and 7.9 PEN in Peru.

Additionally, Netflix is adding a new feature that will make it easier to kick other people off your account. It's called "Transfer Profile to a New Account," and it allows people who share passwords to transfer profile information -- such as viewing history and personalized recommendations -- to either an Extra Member sub account or a completely new subscription.

"We recognize that people have many entertainment choices, so we want to ensure any new features are flexible and useful for members, whose subscriptions fund all our great TV and films," Netflix said. "We'll be working to understand the utility of these two features for members in these three countries before making changes anywhere else in the world."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Assume this will be based on IP addresses? My daughter is in another state and is sharing our family account. I’ll be moderately annoyed if we have to pay extra for her.
    jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 36
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Netflix and others need to come up with a scheme similar to the legacy newspapers online access: create a limited number of free connections with a discount for new accounts and a reward for the account sharing the info.

I know there will be a lot of whining about this plan. But Netflix (and eventually others) have to do this. Too many are sharing with others outside of their households. Had a cousin that shared the account with her daughters when they went off to school. Who shared it with their friends and/or S/Os. My cousin wound up locked out of her own account. She had to call CS, reset the password and won't share her account with anyone now that the daughters have moved out.
    gregoriusmdewmejahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...I don't know of any company that has raised pricing so much in such a short time, and here they 'bundle' 4K conditional on additional multiple seats irrespective of of customer need...  Is Kanopy an alternative via public libraries with seemingly more erudite content...?

www.kanopy.com
    edited March 2022 kdrummerStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Now sure how you can stop even with IP address based restriction is in place, because people roam around with device and use different IP address. MAC address may be way to restrict device the account is enabled. Than people can install on one device and share the device in house or live closely.
    So, not sure how Netflix can 100% restrict not sharing Netflix contents.

gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    It is easily done Apple devices, checking Apple ID. 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    If it weren't for how aggressively Netflix has been raising their prices recently (pointed out by @bobolicious), I'd be inclined to agree with @ronn.  In 2016, my plan started at $9/mo. and is soon to be $20!  Seems to me that Netflix should pick a strategy for recovering costs: raise the price OR crack down on sharing; not both!!!  I know there's no such thing as free lunch, but this just feels like charging more AND giving me a smaller sandwich...  :/
    jeffharrismuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Because nothing buys consumer loyalty like spying on a user account. If you have 2 simultaneous streams, that could be from different states; that’s one thing.  But 10+ simultaneous streams from a single account is completely different. 

This could backfire magnificently
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    ronn said:
    Netflix and others need to come up with a scheme similar to the legacy newspapers online access: create a limited number of free connections with a discount for new accounts and a reward for the account sharing the info.

I know there will be a lot of whining about this plan. But Netflix (and eventually others) have to do this. Too many are sharing with others outside of their households. Had a cousin that shared the account with her daughters when they went off to school. Who shared it with their friends and/or S/Os. My cousin wound up locked out of her own account. She had to call CS, reset the password and won't share her account with anyone now that the daughters have moved out.
    This is already addressed adequately, in my opinion, by Netflix' current scheme of charging per concurrent streams.  In the scenario above where your cousin's daughter shared the login/password with lots of others, the account holder - your cousin - would have become aware of it pretty quickly as he wouldn't have been allowed to watch his/her shows!  I pay for several concurrent streams because I count my college-age daughter as well as my very-poor sister as part of my household.  Now Netflix also wants to charge per person - whether they watch or not.  That's just plain old greed.  If Netflix proceeds with this, I will unsubscribe.  Maybe I'll begin to do what I currently do with Apple TV+: start a subscription when they have something new and worthwhile (e.g. Ted Lasso) and then stop the subscription when I'm done.  My daughter and sister won't like it, but they get what they get in the name of fighting excessive greed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    wood1208 said:
    Now sure how you can stop even with IP address based restriction is in place, because people roam around with device and use different IP address. MAC address may be way to restrict device the account is enabled. Than people can install on one device and share the device in house or live closely.
    So, not sure how Netflix can 100% restrict not sharing Netflix contents.

Lol you actually think iOS allows access to the device MAC address?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    kdrummer said:
    If it weren't for how aggressively Netflix has been raising their prices recently (pointed out by @bobolicious), I'd be inclined to agree with @ronn.  In 2016, my plan started at $9/mo. and is soon to be $20!  Seems to me that Netflix should pick a strategy for recovering costs: raise the price OR crack down on sharing; not both!!!  I know there's no such thing as free lunch, but this just feels like charging more AND giving me a smaller sandwich...  :/
    The price increases are mainly caused by Netflix content costs spiraling out of control, a large part of which is them creating more and more foreign content that the US/English speaking countries are forced to subsidize for customers in countries where Netflix membership costs a fraction of what it does here. Netflix should add a cheaper option for rich countries that only gives access local content or content in my language (and isn’t dubbed which is worse than subtitled IMO). Give me a half priced option that only gives me access to content from the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.

The standard, mid tier, Netflix subscription costs $3/month in Turkey. If Turkey’s customer revenue alone can’t support creating Turkish content then that content shouldn’t get made, or I should at least be able to opt out of being forced to subsidize it. 
    ronnBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    A VPN really screws Netflix up. I stopped signing out because I kept getting warning emails from Netflix about multiply accounts. I've written and talked to them that it's probably because I use a VPN. The warnings kept coming until I just gave up and stopped signing in and out of my account. The warnings stopped after that.
    ronnBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    I also said to Netflix that they need to get with the times that a lot of people use a VPN.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Step 1: Let the account owner know when someone hacks your account and is streaming for free!!!!  This would appear as account sharing but is not.  I did not even know someone was streaming on my account until I streamed the next day and the language was changed and several user types were added!  There is no way I found to track this or lock it down. 
    Beatsdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    My opinion is that Netflix could make more money by lowering their monthly rate but prohibit account sharing (simultaneous streaming.) I would probably subscribe if they did that. If I had a family of twelve, I would probably like the account sharing surcharge, but I don't.

Just for testing, they could introduce an account type that was cheaper but blocked sharing. See how popular it would be.
    edited March 2022 ronnBeatsdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Assume this will be based on IP addresses? My daughter is in another state and is sharing our family account. I’ll be moderately annoyed if we have to pay extra for her.
    Netflix does not have a family account plan.  Are you self-labeling your Netflix account as a "family" account?
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36
    My opinion is that Netflix could make more money by lowering their monthly rate but prohibit account sharing (simultaneous streaming.) I would probably subscribe if they did that. If I had a family of twelve, I would probably like the account sharing surcharge, but I don't.

Just for testing, they could introduce an account type that was cheaper but blocked sharing. See how popular it would be.
    How about a single screen plan that allows HD quality?  Who wants to watch anything in less-than-HD?  So you're forced into the 2-screen plan to get basic HD quality.  Given 2 screens, guess what people are going to do?  Yes, share the other screen (they never use) with a friend.  Is Netflix that dumb?
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    tjwolf said:
    ronn said:

This is already addressed adequately, in my opinion, by Netflix' current scheme of charging per concurrent streams.  In the scenario above where your cousin's daughter shared the login/password with lots of others, the account holder - your cousin - would have become aware of it pretty quickly as he wouldn't have been allowed to watch his/her shows!  I pay for several concurrent streams because I count my college-age daughter as well as my very-poor sister as part of my household.  Now Netflix also wants to charge per person - whether they watch or not.  That's just plain old greed.  If Netflix proceeds with this, I will unsubscribe.  Maybe I'll begin to do what I currently do with Apple TV+: start a subscription when they have something new and worthwhile (e.g. Ted Lasso) and then stop the subscription when I'm done.  My daughter and sister won't like it, but they get what they get in the name of fighting excessive greed.
    My cousin had the issue before Netflix allowed concurrent streams. She wasn't too happy knowing outsiders were using her credentials. IMO, Netflix caused the problem when the CEO (?) at one point said they weren't going to crack down on multiple users for the same account. And of course, the constant hikes in price encouraged people to say to hell with that, I'm sharing my account with family/friends. We added the in-laws to our T-Mobile account and so get a monthly discount for Netflix (along with the big savings since the in-laws old plans was ripping them off royally). We have homes in two states, but have never had issues with streaming at the same time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36

And you base your opinion on what? A feeling? Does your opinion take not account their investment in content and costs spiraling up and out of control? It's not just gasoline that shooting upwards.

Netflix is not operating blind when they make decisions and changes. They may not be right, but the number of unrelated, not even living in the same household people sharing passwords is insane. It pretty much amounts to stealing.

Charge each user of a stream. If your account has four streams you pay four times $X then who cares who is using them. Fifth person tries to sign on, they can't. One price per stream.

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    tjwolf said:
    ronn said:

This seems (seemed?) like the reasonable approach. Why should Netflix care about the relationship or even locations of members of a shared account? The Premium plan is limited to only four concurrent streams. Anyone sharing their password with many others is going to bump into usage conflicts with regularity. That ought to limit abuse quite effectively already. 

What difference does it make if it’s two parents and two kids in the same house or four unrelated single friends living in four different states? Is the Brady Bunch one household, with nine sets of eyes sharing the allotted four streams? Does Alice have to get her own account? Is it fair if she doesn’t, but a single woman can’t share with her elderly mom who lives in a separate house next door? They’re only using two of their four possible streams. What if the daughter has power of attorney over her mom?

What if it’s eight unrelated people living in a group home, all watching a single stream together on one TV in a common area? What if it’s 32 people in a group home, eight per floor, watching four streams in four different common areas? They’re all one household under one roof. 
    Beatsronnmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Step 1: Let the account owner know when someone hacks your account and is streaming for free!!!!  This would appear as account sharing but is not.  I did not even know someone was streaming on my account until I streamed the next day and the language was changed and several user types were added!  There is no way I found to track this or lock it down. 
    What you do is to first change your password. Then you go to where all your devices are listed. If you know what device is not yours, select it and force it to log out. Or "log out all devices". This will force who ever is using that device, to log back in, with your new password. 

If the Netflix hacker can still log in, then you have a bigger problem than just some one hacking your Netflix account.
    edited March 2022 ronnwatto_cobra