Waterfield unveils new carryable 'Shield Case' for Apple's Mac Studio

Posted:
in General Discussion
WaterField Designs has unveiled a new carrying case for the recently debuted Mac Studio, allowing users to transport the desktop computer in a more protected fashion.

Credit: WaterField
Credit: WaterField

Although not technically a portable machine, the Mac Studio has a relatively small form factor compared to other desktops. WaterField has run with the Mac Studio's size for its latest Apple accessory.

The Mac Studio Shield Case is a sleek carrying solution that cushions the Mac in impact-resistant padding and a plush lining. On the exterior is leather and ballistic nylon, or waxed canvas in some variants.

Credit: WaterField Designs

On the bottom of the case is a layer of high-grade neoprene that provides additional protection when the case is set down. Other construction details include waterproof YKK zippers, a plush-lined front pocket for peripherals or accessories, a sturdy leather handle, and metal D-rings for an optional strap.

WaterField says that its Shield Case is meant for users transporting the Mac Studio from home to office, station to station, or office to field.

The WaterField Mac Studio Shield Case retails for $129 and is expected to ship April 8.

Apple's Mac Studio starts at $1,999 and provides more power than its more expensive Mac Pro counterpart -- at least, until that device is refreshed. It's available to order now and officially launches on Friday, March 18.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I suppose you could repurpose an old bowling bag to carry your Mac Studio around while you're waiting for your dedicated Mac Studio case to arrive. The advantage of the bowling bag is that they usually have space for shoes, so you can bring along your favorite pair of coding shoes with you too.
    StrangeDaysfred1bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Apple needs to offer the Studio in Space Gray.

The companies that manufacturer silicon products need to come up with a sleeve for the Studio - for those who don't like the standard aluminum offering that Apple is currently providing.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    This case look slike a really good buy for the money!!

Space Gray?  That’ll be the Mac Pro version when it arrives - but yes Space Gray is nicer than Silver imho.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Is carrying your desktop around a thing? If so, is there a case for the Studio Display we should look out for?

fred1mobirdcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    mobird said:

The companies that manufacturer silicon products need to come up with a sleeve for the Studio - for those who don't like the standard aluminum offering that Apple is currently providing.
    Talk about a niche for a niche. You envision people buy cosmetic sleeves for their MS? To hide the standard aluminum color? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    mobird said:

Get a PC and move on or get an apple and buy a can of spray paint and stop complaining. People in this country are a bunch of whining babies—mostly when they’re out of puberty.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dewme said:
    I suppose you could repurpose an old bowling bag to carry your Mac Studio around while you're waiting for your dedicated Mac Studio case to arrive. The advantage of the bowling bag is that they usually have space for shoes, so you can bring along your favorite pair of coding shoes with you too.
    If I did that, I would have to get the word "Homer" on it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mobird said:

DIY, my man, DIY.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Did people transport the mini (that’s a smaller form factor) before this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    „ballistic“ nylon?! I mean, really!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    This carrying case for the Mac Studio proves that all that is old eventually becomes new again. I had a carrying case for my Macintosh 128K and then Macintosh Plus from 1984 until about 1988, and I did regularly carry it around. Apple even advertised Macintosh's transportable nature back in those days — it was a feature.

When the Macintosh Portable came out in 1989, I sure wanted one! But at 16 pounds and over $7,000 (equivalent to over $15,000 in today's money), it was out of reach. In the early 1990s after the PowerBook 100 series came out, used versions of the Macintosh Portable were out there for only about $1500 (less costly than the new PowerBooks then) and I was seriously tempted … but I was later glad not to have bought one.

There will certainly be people who will find value in this Mac Studio carrying case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I totally see the value in this.

When I was teaching software development, all of the workstations had monitors, keyboards, and mice from when the classroom had thin clients. We got rid of the thin clients, stowed the keyboards, kept a couple of mice handy, and put the monitors up on moveable arms.

Most students plugged their laptops into the monitors and occasionally grabbed a mouse (or had one already).  But a couple of $$$ savvy students bought Mac Mini's or Raspberry Pi 4's and grabbed a nearby keyboard along with a mouse. The Mini (or Pi) fit just fine in their backpack, and used 2014/2018 Minis were much less expensive than their laptop counterparts.

For me, because the Studio is portable enough, I can take it on location to the handful of video broadcasts I do every year. My 13" M1 MBP is OK at that task, but can only run one external monitor. Oftentimes I need two or three displays to properly manage the broadcast, and am not really in the market for yet another laptop (I still have two very capable 13" Intel MBP's alongside the M1).

Now this can both be my desktop replacement (replacing a 2018 Mini, which replaced a 2012 Mac Pro) and come with me the few times I need it to, without throwing it in the bottom of a backpack full of cords and accessories.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra