iCloud outages resolved after nearly every Apple service went down globally

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    gatorguy said:
    chadbag said:
    Suspicious this is. The fact that it is happening to other sites and services too. 
    Was my thought.  Interesno  Nyet?
    Both Google and AWS Cloud services indicate all is good at the moment, and no outages in the past 24 hours. There's no indication the fault lies with either of those two Apple Cloud storage providers.
    I don’t remember mentioning or blaming Google.  
  • Reply 22 of 34
    This is not isolated to Apple; lots of spikes in reported failures on DownDetector for cellular providers, landline ISP's, Spotify, PoF, stock market apps, etc. This seems wide-spread and not internal to Apple.
    Also yesterday Twitch was behaving very poorly too. Dropped frames and everything. 
    Alex_V
  • Reply 23 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So 2:50 PM CDT in the Midwest and not seeing any issues with iCloud at all. Is it fixed?
    Alex_V
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Apple's status page is reporting all green.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Appleish said:
    All roads lead to Putin.
    You are likely not wrong, unfortunately.
    All roads lead to Poohtin
  • Reply 26 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,667member
    maybe a private relay problem?

Could be. I did get a notification when the PR service went down and later on when it was restored. While PR was in the failing state, prior to the notification of PR failure, I was unable to attach to my iCloud account. However, when PR was disabled by iOS I was able to get to my iCloud settings.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    The Rooskies strike back!
  • Reply 28 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    All kinds of problems today. This afternoon I was unable to download an app. Internet hanging all over the place. Third-party apps encountering network errors. So it certainly wasn’t just Apple. I have it on good authority that it is in fact likely related to what’s happening in Europe.  I know someone who keeps a close eye on Internet traffic and whose job involves looking for anomalies in terms of cyber attacks.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 29 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    chadbag said:
    gatorguy said:
    chadbag said:
    Suspicious this is. The fact that it is happening to other sites and services too. 
    Was my thought.  Interesno  Nyet?
    Both Google and AWS Cloud services indicate all is good at the moment, and no outages in the past 24 hours. There's no indication the fault lies with either of those two Apple Cloud storage providers.
    I don’t remember mentioning or blaming Google.  
    Ah, but you still have issues with comprehension I see. 
  • Reply 30 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Appleish said:
    All roads lead to Putin.

Sort of. They way it works over there is Putin, via his crime posse, has made it clear that Russian hackers can do whatever they want, as long as they leave Russian systems alone. If they hack anyone or anything outside Russia, there will be no serious consequences. But Ol' Poutine operates like Hitler in that he does not give any written commands. His (ill) will is expressed via his lackies and only verbally. So the outages may very well have come from Russia, but there will be no trail to Putin.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 31 of 34
    welshdog said:
    Appleish said:
    All roads lead to Putin.

Sort of. They way it works over there is Putin, via his crime posse, has made it clear that Russian hackers can do whatever they want, as long as they leave Russian systems alone. If they hack anyone or anything outside Russia, there will be no serious consequences. But Ol' Poutine operates like Hitler in that he does not give any written commands. His (ill) will is expressed via his lackies and only verbally. So the outages may very well have come from Russia, but there will be no trail to Putin.
    Yes, Putin’s model is sanctioning cyber terrorists by allowing them to freely operate as long as they don’t attack anything Russian. As opposed to the Pooh (Xi), who has his own cyber command of expert hackers. The latter might be more efficient and easier to control and direct at specific targets. But it’s also a way more dangerous way if attacks can be traced back to them.

So yes, all ways lead to Poohtin. But in two distinctly different ways.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 32 of 34
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,502member
    Whatever the cause of the outage was, I had to fire up Waze for the first time in nearly a decade (luckily I do keep the app updated) in order to find a meeting's location directions.

Waze did indeed get me there, but the experience was pretty bad and the voice ... was robotic, to put it mildly. Doesn't seem like it has progressed much since Google bought it.

Was very happy when Siri, Maps, Podcasts, and the rest finally updated. "You don't know what you've got till it's gone" sang the sage ...
    Alex_V
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Well I checked on downdetector.com and it coincided with massive issues on AWS (as well as several other online services). The graphs looked literally identical between all of those. Interesting how dependent Apple still is from AWS Service apparently.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 34 of 34
    sandorsandor Posts: 665member
    chasm said:
    Whatever the cause of the outage was, I had to fire up Waze for the first time in nearly a decade (luckily I do keep the app updated) in order to find a meeting's location directions.

Waze did indeed get me there, but the experience was pretty bad and the voice ... was robotic, to put it mildly. Doesn't seem like it has progressed much since Google bought it.

Was very happy when Siri, Maps, Podcasts, and the rest finally updated. "You don't know what you've got till it's gone" sang the sage ...

I still keep a map in my glove box. :)

Much of our staff have always chuckled at an incessant need for "paper backup" of our most frequently changing flowsheets & events like these in the middle of the work day prove why.  

It also made us realize that Apple's current instance of a caching server is not as robust as we would like - iCloud being down seemed to stop the cached data from being served as well.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204675