Apple executives say creating Mac Studio was 'overwhelming'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    MicDorseyMicDorsey Posts: 100member
    Why so much ML cores? What will use so many ML cores?
    The same people who pay for 300GBPS Internet download speed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    williamh said:
    These self-congratulatory things Apple does occasionally should be a bit embarrassing.  The Mac Studio looks like a big Mac Mini and it’s the very computer people have requested for years. Apple folks were not psychic when they determined the need and didn’t come up with a revolutionary new design. Good on you for making the Studio Display speakers good. Why is the camera garbage?

I seem to recall Ive or somebody gushing over the shape of the Apple Pencil or something like that. It’s some kind of joke. 
    Agree. Apple’s public self satisfaction has been cringeworthy for years.  Let the product speak for itself, no need to call it magic or tell us how wonderful you are for making it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 38
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    DoctorQ said:
    Still not upgradeable- no slots- while every PC in this price range can and does do both.
    I'm waiting on one. We'll see what it runs like when it shows up.
    I have a feeling slots are superfluous at this point, since it’s pertinent only to Intel. A PCI bus, in this scenario, is likely a bottleneck. Apple’s architecture calls for keeping the internal busses short as possible, such as with the system RAM. Will M series based Macs eventually have PCI slots? Beats me, but if there’s no hardware to fill the slots, what difference does it make?

Internal expandability of the computer is necessary when you are buying a product that as sold -- will not do what you need it to do.  The Trashcan mac was pilloried over this in the past, but the vast majority of this sentiment was because as sold it had insufficient graphics capability and other functionality.   If the computer you are buying does everything you need it to do for the requisite amount of time for it to pay for itself -- then internal expandability serves no real need.   The vast majority of users -- could not care a less about expandability as it by its self serves no functional purpose... just give me what I need to do the job I need done... that is what I need.   I never considered buying the trashcan mac, but now here I am waiting for 10 to 12 weeks (because obviously no-one is interested in this device) for the configuration I wanted to order...  for the new Mac Studio.
    muthuk_vanalingamMauiMac5341JWSCwilliamlondonAppleSince1976rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    corp1corp1 Posts: 92member
    Looks like it can cool itself- and isn't a funky shape that no one knows what to do with- ie Cube or Trash Can Mac Pro.
    It's like a half-height Cube or a double-height Mac mini. And it sits on your desktop just like those other machines, though its low-ish profile means it's still lower than the monitor, which is a nice feature.

But ... I could imagine it growing into a full-height (or maybe taller?) Mac Pro Cube. :smiley: 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 610member
    A lot of red flags in that interview, oh my.
    edited March 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 38
    corp1 said:
    Looks like it can cool itself- and isn't a funky shape that no one knows what to do with- ie Cube or Trash Can Mac Pro.
    It's like a half-height Cube or a double-height Mac mini. And it sits on your desktop just like those other machines, though its low-ish profile means it's still lower than the monitor, which is a nice feature.

But ... I could imagine it growing into a full-height (or maybe taller?) Mac Pro Cube. :smiley: 

Yes, all you need to do to have it grow -- is water it regularly....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    williamh said:
    These self-congratulatory things Apple does occasionally should be a bit embarrassing.  The Mac Studio looks like a big Mac Mini and it’s the very computer people have requested for years. Apple folks were not psychic when they determined the need and didn’t come up with a revolutionary new design. Good on you for making the Studio Display speakers good. Why is the camera garbage?

I seem to recall Ive or somebody gushing over the shape of the Apple Pencil or something like that. It’s some kind of joke. 
    To you non-techies everything seems easy. It’s basically a law of software engineering at this point. “Can’t you just…” and “How hard can it be…”
    williamlondonAppleSince1976watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    darkvader said:
    "We made the crappiest possible version of what people have been talking about since the Cube was discontinued, and it absolutely overwhelmed us.  Don't expect anything good."
    The butthurt is strong in this one.
    MauiMac5341williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Still not upgradeable- no slots- while every PC in this price range can and does do both.
    Slots, you say?

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Diagnostic_Port.txt&topic=Hardware%20Design&detail=medium
    williamlondonAppleSince1976watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    williamh said:

if you have read about the issue, you would know that the camera is not garbage at all, it is a very good camera getting great reviews on other products.  What was actually revealed was that there was a last minute software update to fix something, that threw the camera out of whack.  Prepare for an update and to eat your words
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    williamh said:

if you have read about the issue, you would know that the camera is not garbage at all, it is a very good camera getting great reviews on other products.  What was actually revealed was that there was a last minute software update to fix something, that threw the camera out of whack.  Prepare for an update and to eat your words
    Update or no, it's shitty right now, and Apple are shipping it right now.  There's no need for anyone to eat words when Apple are displaying poor QA.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 38
    This computer would never have made it to daylight if Jony Ive was still at Apple.
    Ports- plenty of them- even in the front? Unbelievable.
    It has Virtual PCIe Slots; Six of them on the Ultra. They just happen to be serialized.

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/63715-intel-introduces-thunderbolt-4-what-is-it-and-does-it-matter/

And BTW, System Profiler reports Six Thunderbolt Busses on the Ultra version of the Studio (so I assume Four on the Max); so that’s a total of 240 Gb/s of raw potential expandability (of which 192 Gb/s can be PCIe data).

Now all we need are the peripherals to take advantage of it!

in a lot of ways, this is the Cylinder Mac that Apple couldn’t build in 2013. But now, Thunderbolt has matured, and is getting to be as LightPeak was first envisioned. Let’s just hope some peripheral manufacturers get on the ball!

But until then, much I/O expansion can also be accomplished through the use of another function of those TB4 ports, namely USB.

Is it possible to find other PCs that have TB4 ports? Yes. Will they have Six of them?

Not bloody likely. Nor is it likely to have Six PCIe slots.

Not expandable? No Slots?

Pah!
    Xedrundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    michelb76 said:
    A lot of red flags in that interview, oh my.
    I’m sorry; are you Triggered?

Better go to your Safe Place!

Oh, I’m sorry; did the Exclamation Point Trigger you?
    Xedwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    This computer would never have made it to daylight if Jony Ive was still at Apple.
    Ports- plenty of them- even in the front? Unbelievable.
    Lest you think I was joking about “Serialized PCIe” n my previous post, this Apple Silicon-compatible product should answer your “Expandability” objection:

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo-3-desktop/overview.html
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Slots, you say?

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Diagnostic_Port.txt&topic=Hardware%20Design&detail=medium
    Later reincarnated as the “Processor Direct Slot” (PDS Slot), in some of the 68k-based “Performa” Macs, e.g., Performa 550 & 575, I would imagine.

The coolest thing Apple did with that slot was the legendary Apple //e Card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 38
    williamh said:
    There’s supposedly an update coming to fix the camera - but with the center stage feature it probably won't do better than 720p.

BTW, this isn't the Mac Mini Pro people have been asking for - it's more like the guts of an iMac Pro without the display - or rather the computer chassis separated from the monitor like any other computer system.

By splitting the computer and display, Apple's finally answered the question “Why can't I use that gorgeous display as a monitor?” while also fixing the cabling waterfall if you VESA mount it.

When I’m ready to dump my loaded 2020 iMac 5K, this is probably what I’ll replace it with. Hopefully by then there will be a M2 Max/Ultra with HW ray tracing GPU cores.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 155member
    mac_dog said:
    williamh said:

Boo-hoo. Now go troll another apple site. 
    He isn't trolling at all.  The Mac Studio looks like a Mac mini on steroids (it is 2 1/2 minis tall), the Studio Display's camera is garbage (read the reviews, including the ones here), and Jony Ive did make a big deal about the shape of the Apple Pencil, to a ridiculous degree.  All true statements.  That is not trolling.  Trolling is making stuff up to annoy people.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Rogue01 said:
    mac_dog said:
    williamh said:

Boo-hoo. Now go troll another apple site. 
    He isn't trolling at all.  The Mac Studio looks like a Mac mini on steroids (it is 2 1/2 minis tall), the Studio Display's camera is garbage (read the reviews, including the ones here), and Jony Ive did make a big deal about the shape of the Apple Pencil, to a ridiculous degree.  All true statements.  That is not trolling.  Trolling is making stuff up to annoy people.

Apple has indicated that the camera software had a bug introduced late - just before release.... (which is how shall I say unfortunate) and that it will be fixed.   It is the same camera as used by the iPad camera used for Centre Stage functionality - which has a better picture... as such I accept Apple's explanation and will wait for the software update to make my judgement.  The camera is a 12MP camera, HD is 2MP (1920 x 1080)... but the camera has to have the resolution to follow you so in the end it will be the same as an HD camera (not a substitute for a professional camera)... which when used as a webcam for things like Skype and Facebook (which compresses on top of it)... will likely be sufficient for normal use.   Apple pencil has no relevance to this monitor, so that is easily considered trolling.  Trolling does not require making stuff up, it can be truthful information not applicable and misused.  In the end the story is about the Apple Studio and that is what we are discussing...  Personally, it is not sufficient a jump in the display to interest me enough to purchase it... the Mac Studio computer easily yes...   but I will be waiting on where the monitor or next step up from there goes in the future.  This monitor is really only a replacement for the head portion of the iMac for the now componentized  Mac solutions (higher end)... and for me... a move away from the iMac all-in-one computers on the higher end ... is welcome...  A good monitor, I will keep and repurpose long after I have replaced a computer with a newer version.  
    Xedwatto_cobra