New MacBook Air to come in two sizes, but without miniLED & ProMotion

Posted:
in macOS
Apple's upcoming MacBook Air refresh will include two different display sizes, but the new models will lack miniLED and ProMotion, according to a display analyst.

MacBook Air render
MacBook Air render

The rumored 15-inch MacBook Air will actually feature a display that measures 15.2 inches on the diagonal, while an updated 13-inch MacBook Air will have a 13.6-inch display, Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants said in a tweet Friday.

In a pair of responses on his Twitter thread, Young added that the devices will lack miniLED because they're at a "lower price point."

and 2022 MacBook Air will increase from 13.3" to 13.6".

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Young told MacRumors that the 15-inch MacBook Air would also lack ProMotion.

Earlier in March, Young forecast that Apple would release a 15-inch MacBook Air in 2023. The analyst is known for a good track record of releasing accurate Apple-related display predictions.

The lack of miniLED on the device goes country to rumors throughout 2021, including supply chain reports and forecasts from respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

More recently, however, Kuo backtracked on those predictions and said that no new products would receive miniLED technology in 2022.

Beyond the addition of a second, larger model and new colors, the upcoming MacBook Air is rumored to bring a new design to the lineup that ditches the tapered-off form factor for a flat but thin chassis more akin to current MacBook Pro models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple's recent emphasis on MAC line with performance and larger screen; these Macbook Air with 13.6" screen and 15.2" will be very welcome news by consumers. Side note except lower price, iPhone SE3 needed real change(edge-to-edge screen, dual camera,etc) which didn't happen.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 2 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Notches here we come.  >:)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    wood1208 said:
    Side note except lower price, iPhone SE3 needed real change(edge-to-edge screen, dual camera,etc) which didn't happen.
    SE3 is selling like gangbusters. The population of people who hate change, just want "the same thing but a bit faster and more battery" is much larger than you think. 

regarding the topic at hand, I'm typing on this on an M1 Pro 16". It does feel like a bit of a tank and I take it on the road every day, so I would find that theoretical 15" Air very, very tempting… I'd probably stick with the Pro because it's my only computer, but I think they'd sell a crapton of them for sure.
    edited March 2022 williamlondonronn
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Bring it on… I’ve been waiting 2 years to upgrade!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    So no new MacBook Air until 2023, or will the smaller one come this year?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple's recent emphasis on MAC line with performance and larger screen; these Macbook Air with 13.6" screen and 15.2" will be very welcome news by consumers. Side note except lower price, iPhone SE3 needed real change(edge-to-edge screen, dual camera,etc) which didn't happen.
    Quit bitching that the SE doesn’t have all the features that are available in the higher tier models. It’s like saying that the base level iPad should have everything in the Air or the Pro, but for the base level price. Everybody else understands that in order to achieve an attractive entry-level price Apple needs to use older components in much of it. Why don’t you?

I wish my iPad Air had 4 speakers, FaceID, 120 Hz ProMotion, and a Mini-LED screen. Boo fucking hoo.  Buy a renewed iPhone 11 if that’s all you want and all you can afford. 
    edited March 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    So no new MacBook Air until 2023, or will the smaller one come this year?
    MBA with M2 and new industrial design coming either Summer or October at the latest. Apple's going to put the entire Mac team on it to get it on store shelves for the holiday shopping season. It's their best selling Mac by a very large margin. They are going to get it out the door.

Will it have a 13.6" display? Who knows, but the new industrial design seems pretty certain.
    williamlondondesignr
  • Reply 8 of 8
    For the general public, Mini LED and Promotion, is not a big deal.

People want an affordable, light and thin, colorful Mac notebook.

Most would be plenty happy with the M1 for 5 more years at least.

The crazy specs should go only to pro devices.
    Detnator