Apple Studio Display review: How badly do you want an all-Apple experience?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It’s a 6 year old LG ultrafine display in a much nicer overall package.

I was seriously looking forward to this display, had hoped to pick one up, but I’m not going to and for me it’s all because of the lack of height adjustment as standard.

Such a shame they decided to not include tilt and height adjustment as standard, £400 extra just to change the height when most monitors put there have it by default is just crazy to me. My £600 LG has it, why does the £1600 Apple display need to cost an extra £400 for this basic functionality?
    williamlondonkestrallewchenko
  • Reply 22 of 91
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    But how does it stack up against using a 5k retina iMac you already own as a display? 

Sure that means you forego the resale value and there are other costs for the software to share screen and keyboard and the relative costs of running a full computer just as a monitor compared to a monitor standalone. 
  • Reply 23 of 91
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    rob53 said:
    Hopefully you don't delete my comment because it references a non-AI website but I'm trying to demonstrate that LG doesn't have a 27" 5K monitor anymore:

Commercial products
    https://www.lg.com/us/business/desktop-monitors/lg-27md5klb-b ;
    LG Ultrawide, https://www.lg.com/us/business/desktop-monitors/lg-34BK95U-W

Consumer products
    https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27md5kl-b-5k-uhd-led-monitor Out of Stock, $1300

It's very difficult to search for a 5K monitor on LG's website because it lists a lot of 4K displays.

So my question is, and @flydog answered it, why do commentators keep saying the LG is better (because it's cheaper) when LG isn't selling them. I have seen a few available on Amazon but who know for how long. Right now, anyone who wants a 5K monitor with Thunderbolt connection (necessary for 5K) at a reasonable price has one choice and it's Apple's Studio Display. You want the lower resolution 4K, fine, but I don't.

The UltraFine 5K is in some stores now, and even LG says it will be fully stocked in April.

And, it's not that hard to find one now. E.G.: https://www.adorama.com/lot27md5klb.html "expected in a few days." In stock now at Amazon's refurbished, and it'll be available new in a few days.

I like Dell's dead 5K display better than either of these, but that's only available second hand for ludicrous prices.
    So we're comparing a brand new monitor to used/refurbished monitors (by LG through Amazon or someone else?) and out of stock monitors that might be available in a few days. All of us have seen how wobbly the LG stand is and their new price is only $300 less than the Studio Display, which doesn't have any plastic on it, better speakers and microphone. It also has the A13 chip handling several things. And the biggest thing is Apple has done all sorts of things to make it work very well with Macs and iPads, something LG can only try to do. Yes, it's worth $300 more to me. To support my decision, I just checked the Apple Store and this display isn't available until April 18th, so there's a lot of people who want one (or more).

This display will be the cornerstone of my new system. I'll connect my M1 MBA to it along with the TB2/TB3 drives and docks I already have then wait to determine whether I'll buy a larger laptop or get an M2 mini or Mac Studio probably only with the Max. This combination should last a long time for me (replacing my late 2015 iMac).
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerpscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 91
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I so wanted this display but given its documented problems and price I think I will have to settle for the 4K Dell ultrasharp with a USBc dock for home use. 27 or 32 inches and both have fully adjustable stands.

it uses an LG display with new IPS technology that greatly improves contrast, and it is 500 nits. I can get two 27s for the price of one of these studio displays, and that is before buying an adjustable stand.
    edited March 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 91
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    There are only two 5k monitors on the market under 2000 dollars? That alone explains the price of the Apple monitor.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rob53 said:
    rob53 said:
    Hopefully you don't delete my comment because it references a non-AI website but I'm trying to demonstrate that LG doesn't have a 27" 5K monitor anymore:

Commercial products
    https://www.lg.com/us/business/desktop-monitors/lg-27md5klb-b ;
    LG Ultrawide, https://www.lg.com/us/business/desktop-monitors/lg-34BK95U-W

Consumer products
    https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27md5kl-b-5k-uhd-led-monitor Out of Stock, $1300

It's very difficult to search for a 5K monitor on LG's website because it lists a lot of 4K displays.

So my question is, and @flydog answered it, why do commentators keep saying the LG is better (because it's cheaper) when LG isn't selling them. I have seen a few available on Amazon but who know for how long. Right now, anyone who wants a 5K monitor with Thunderbolt connection (necessary for 5K) at a reasonable price has one choice and it's Apple's Studio Display. You want the lower resolution 4K, fine, but I don't.

The UltraFine 5K is in some stores now, and even LG says it will be fully stocked in April.

And, it's not that hard to find one now. E.G.: https://www.adorama.com/lot27md5klb.html "expected in a few days." In stock now at Amazon's refurbished, and it'll be available new in a few days.

I like Dell's dead 5K display better than either of these, but that's only available second hand for ludicrous prices.
    So we're comparing a brand new monitor to used/refurbished monitors (by LG through Amazon or someone else?) and out of stock monitors that might be available in a few days. All of us have seen how wobbly the LG stand is and their new price is only $300 less than the Studio Display, which doesn't have any plastic on it, better speakers and microphone. It also has the A13 chip handling several things. And the biggest thing is Apple has done all sorts of things to make it work very well with Macs and iPads, something LG can only try to do. Yes, it's worth $300 more to me. To support my decision, I just checked the Apple Store and this display isn't available until April 18th, so there's a lot of people who want one (or more).

This display will be the cornerstone of my new system. I'll connect my M1 MBA to it along with the TB2/TB3 drives and docks I already have then wait to determine whether I'll buy a larger laptop or get an M2 mini or Mac Studio probably only with the Max. This combination should last a long time for me (replacing my late 2015 iMac).
    You said there were none to be had. I told you where, when, and how. The LG will be in stock, unless you catch one at an Apple Retail store, before the Studio Display will, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove about "out of stock monitors that might be available in a few days."

And, fwiw, I'm glad you think you're going to be happy with the display. Given your use case, I'm sure you will be. Like I said twice in the review, the panel is nice, and it's a nice monitor.

I just feel the price to what you get equation is bad.

There's a reason we did two opinions in one review. This monitor is polarizing. It's either absolutely perfect for any given user, or just not it, at all because of choices Apple made. There is very little in-between.
    edited March 2022 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonkestralshareef777FileMakerFellerdarkvaderMplsP
  • Reply 27 of 91
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    The reference modes are the most interesting thing to me, I have a 2021 MBP and the screen's reference presets are a neat feature.  I primarily work in Rec709 and with the built in screen and presets I can just set it to Rec709, it turns locks off brightness adjustment in that mode, so it's serious about it.  I'm just not trusting it until I can test it with a probe as I have other screens, but only this laptop one can travel. 
     For color accurate work with 3rd party monitors you have the built in menus and then it can become confusing as to what's going on between the computer's presets and the monitor's presets and adjustments, you wind up with 2 devices with a say in the color whereas with an all Apple solution you only have the computer.  Plus anyone can just walk up and change the settings with a 3rd party monitor.  That's not worth $1600 to me but I'll bet to some people it is.

I would bet there's a lot of graphic design firms that have calibrated iMacs and the ability to buy a monitor that's close to the same to pair with the studio makes sense for them.  Would prefer to see a Thunderbolt 4 hub built in and miniLED with HDR, and that monitor will probably come out eventually, but this one makes sense to me.  I'd probably be more of the target market for the Pro Display XDR, but it's a bit expensive and more of a want than a need.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    I saw the new Studio Display at the Apple Store.  It is definitely not worth the $1,599 price tag.  The fact that the display has fans in it, makes you wonder how hot is it going to be?  The Apple Thunderbolt Display was a literal space heater that could heat a room.  I had two of them that I got used for $350 total.  One started to fail after 4 years of use with the LED burn marks appearing, and I was glad to sell them for cheap to get rid of them.  They literally heated my room and in the summer, it was brutal.  I replaced them with two Samsung 28" 4K monitors that have much better image quality, and they were only $269 each!  I think the general consumer doesn't care about 4K or 5K and most will opt for a decent 4K monitor for much less.  I don't need a webcam or speakers in my display.  I have the Klipsch 2.1 Media Speakers that blow away anything from Apple.  If I need a webcam, I have one in my MacBook Pro, 2020 iMac 27", or iPhone or iPad.  I don't need Center Stage either.  Most say they get a sick feeling watching the panning.  It is like they added a bunch of features that most people don't really care about, and the one feature people would use, they left out - Ethernet!

Remember when everyone was spreading rumors that the new iMac would be 32"?  Guess what?  Apple gave you the same 27" display from the iMac, for the price of the iMac, without the iMac.  Remember when Schiller said you get this amazing 5K display, and it comes with a computer?  Now it is the other way around.  I think most people that buy the Mac Studio will opt for a third party display, and maybe go larger with a 32" 4K display.  Most will be able to get two excellent 4K displays for less than one Apple Studio Display.  If Apple priced it at $999, with the height adjustable stand, they would have had a hit.  Since Apple is so health conscious, the height adjustable stand should be the included stand.  The fixed tilt stand is ridiculous.  It is funny when people stack books under their iMac to raise it up.  Watch MKHBD's review of the display on YouTube.  He nails it with his review.
    kestraldarkvader
  • Reply 29 of 91
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    It definitely should come with the height adjustable stand as standard.  

Another AirPods max.
    edited March 2022 kestralwilliamlondondarkvader
  • Reply 30 of 91
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    entropys said:
    I so wanted this display but given its documented problems and price I think I will have to settle for the 4K Dell ultrasharp with a USBc dock for home use. 27 or 32 inches and both have fully adjustable stands.

it uses an LG display with new IPS technology that greatly improves contrast, and it is 500 nits. I can get two 27s for the price of one of these studio displays, and that is before buying an adjustable stand.
    The only documented problem with the Studio Display is the web cam and for that there will be a software update.

It’s up to the user to decide if this item is of value to them. And no comparing 4K to 5K is a non starter.
    If 4K is good enough for you then go that route and save yourself some dough.
    If all you do is programming and MS Office type work, then the Studio Display is definitely overkill.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 91
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    entropys said:
    It definitely should come with the height adjustable stand as standard.  

Another AirPods max.
    The Apple Cinema Display of old, never had an adjustable stand.
    The iMacs don’ have an adjustable stand.

If adjustability is an issue for you, then getting the VESA option and mounting it on an arm is the way to go. 

And what do the AirPods Max have anything to do with this?
    edited March 2022 foregoneconclusionwilliamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 91
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Seems like a stand-in product, much the same way that the iMac Pro was. If the LG UltraFine wasn't a POS, this display probably wouldn't even exist.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 91
    These are the realistic choices for affordable 27" or higher monitors:

A. 2K with 120/240 MHz and true HDR

B. 4K with 120/240 MHz

C. 5K with 60 MHz 

There really aren't any affordable ones with 5K + 120 MHz + true HDR. It's kind of funny to see people complaining that the Studio Display is "old" screen tech. How old is 2K and 4K screen tech? 
    edited March 2022 rob53tenthousandthingsthtwilliamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 91
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    My purchase criteria for monitors is actually rather simple. I just need monitors that I can afford to purchase at least two of, have decent screens of at least 4K resolution with good dot pitch and brightness, deep blacks, no obvious display artifacts, are fully articulated when mounted on monitor arms, and have at least two HDMI (or usable as HDMI) ports. I don’t want speakers or cameras in my monitors. Anything you add to a monitor beyond basic display functionality will likely become obsolete or redundant long before the monitor itself does. 

The iMac is the poster child for the obsolescence model that I’m trying to avoid. Pairing a Mac mini with a Studio Display makes more sense for me than buying an iMac. The Studio Display will most definitely be a perfect fit for some folks so I’m glad that Apple brought it to market. It has its place. The fact that it doesn’t fit my particular needs doesn’t really matter at all so I have nothing to complain about. Choice is good, and having a first party choice in the display selection matrix for Apple customers is absolutely the best thing that Apple could have done, especially for folks who want to maintain an All-Apple setup.

I hesitate to sound glib, but when did Apple customers start worrying about price? We want the best, not the cheapest.
    edited March 2022 danoxwilliamlondonargonautmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellerpscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 91
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    " Going for the tilt- and height-adjustable version adds the ability to shift the height up and down"  

No - the so-called height adjustable stand ONLY allows the height to go upwards - it does not offer any settings that result in the monitor sitting lower than the fixed version. This is yet another major design flaw in the Studio Display ... along with:
    * the 60Hz refresh rate,
    * no HDR
    * the hardwired rear cable
    * the hole in the stand that is visible from the front (because they set the monitor too high)
    * webcam quality problems
    * monitor technology is years old
    * only supports Thunderbolt 3 (when the accompanying Mac supports Thunderbolt 4)
    * cannot change from Landscape to Portrait with standard stand.

edited March 2022 williamlondonlewchenkoFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 36 of 91
    There seem to be two sides to this display:

those that don’t see the value in it and list out where it comes up short

those that see the value in it and remind everyone it’s from Apple (◔_◔)
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 37 of 91
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Original question was how badly I wanted an all Apple experience. 

My answer. 100%, except for things Apple doesn’t provide (or doesn’t provide anymore). I’ve used non-Apple monitors early on but after I bought the first iMac the day it was released I personally have no use for generic, plastic computers. I was involved in the purchase of at least $3M worth of Apple hardware over a 16 year period (1989-2005, yes older Macs) before changing to a non-purchasing job and finally retiring. A couple hundred dollars for a monitor I know was built to Apple standards using materials I know won’t break is worth it. One month of no Starbucks burnt coffee pays the difference. 
    dewmedanox
  • Reply 38 of 91
    tpurdytpurdy Posts: 40member
    Upgraded from my late 2008-ish apple Cinema Display (24"?)..... which STILL WORKS, but it was time for a change.
    I am SO HAPPY with the new monitor!! Here's to hoping this one lasts 14 years. :smile: 
    rob53lkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 91
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    rob53 said:
    Original question was how badly I wanted an all Apple experience. 

My answer. 100%, except for things Apple doesn’t provide (or doesn’t provide anymore). I’ve used non-Apple monitors early on but after I bought the first iMac the day it was released I personally have no use for generic, plastic computers. I was involved in the purchase of at least $3M worth of Apple hardware over a 16 year period (1989-2005, yes older Macs) before changing to a non-purchasing job and finally retiring. A couple hundred dollars for a monitor I know was built to Apple standards using materials I know won’t break is worth it. One month of no Starbucks burnt coffee pays the difference. 
    Most of the Human world doesn’t like saving up for anything, It is still mystifying that people are crying and there are only two 5k monitors made at reasonable price.  
    williamlondonrob53
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Rogue01 said:
    […] Remember when everyone was spreading rumors that the new iMac would be 32"? […]
    The speculation was for a 32" iMac Pro. But that was killed, along with the rumored 27" iMac Pro, in favor of the Mac Studio + Apple Studio Display, which together are priced similarly to the 2017 iMac Pro, actually quite a bit less, starting at $3600. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that price is almost exactly what I paid for my last 27" iMac.

However, you’re ignoring the other Apple display option available to Mac Studio buyers. The Apple Pro Display XDR. So there’s your 32" iMac Pro, starting at $7000. In stock right now! Moreover, the smart money has Apple updating the Pro Display XDR at the same time as the Mac Pro, with a meaningful drop in price. So maybe that starting price is more like $6000 in the near future…
    edited March 2022 williamlondonDetnator