Samsung's $700 Smart Monitor M8 borrows Apple's multi-colored iMac style

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 28
Samsung has opened up preorders for its Smart Monitor M8, a screen with a minimalist appearance that is available in a range of colors, a design choice echoing Apple's 24-inch iMac.

Samsung Smart Monitor M8
Samsung Smart Monitor M8


Initially launched in January, the M8 is a 32-inch smart monitor that offers a few more features than the typical computer display. Instead, it performs double-duty as a smart TV, with it able to stream content independently of whatever device is connected to it.



As a monitor, it measures 11.4mm thick with a minimal bezel around the edge of the display. With a 16:9 aspect ratio and a UHD resolution, the screen has a 60Hz refresh rate, a 3,000:1 contrast ratio, HDR 10+ support, and a max brightness of 400 nits.

While it was previously shown in white and sporting a 24-inch iMac-style stand, it seems that Samsung is leaning in to that design choice by offering multiple color options. Warm White is joined by Sunset Pink, Daylight Blue, and Spring Green.

In keeping with its minimalist appearance, the 1080p SlimFit Cam is a removable add-on that attaches magnetically to the top of the display. Face tracking and auto-zoom functions enable it to provide Center Stage-like functionality for recording videos and for video conferencing.

Samsung's color range for the Smart Monitor M8
Samsung's color range for the Smart Monitor M8


The Smart Monitor M8 is capable of running its own apps, including smart TV services and calling apps such as Google Duo. It can connect over Wi-Fi 5 and Bluetooth 4.2, while audio is handled by a 2.2-channel 5W speaker arrangement, as well as a far-field voice microphone with support for Bixby and Amazon Alexa.

With built-in AirPlay and Samsung DeX support, it can mirror content from an iPhone or a Samsung device. The screen also counts as a SmartThings Hub, providing a way to connect to compatible IoT devices.

Connectivity options include one micro HDMI port and two USB-C ports, with one used to provide up to 65W of power delivery as an upstream connection. There's also an in-box remote control for the screen, which can be charged using USB-C.

Preorders for the Smart Monitor M8 have commenced around the world, with the white option priced at $699.99, and other colors at a slightly higher price. Samsung has not disclosed when the monitor will ship to consumers.

Read on AppleInsider
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    THIS is what I wanted from Apple's consumer monitor. Really the only thing it needs is a higher PD capability considering the MBP pull close to 100W at load.
    ravnorodommichelb76
  • Reply 2 of 22
    “Borrows” 🙄
    foregoneconclusionFileMakerFellerStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,988member
    THIS is what I wanted from Apple's consumer monitor. Really the only thing it needs is a higher PD capability considering the MBP pull close to 100W at load.
    Not me. UHD resolution (3840x2160 or there snouts because of 16:9 screen), poor ppi resolution, as you say poor brightness, HDMI input? Why? Smart functions so a TV instead of a monitor. Probably cheap plastic shell without glass screen. This is yet another cheap 4K TV you’ll need to update through Samsung. No thanks. 
    netroxDetnatorFileMakerFellerStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,247member
    Pretty nice feature set, wish Apple would bring some of those to their displays, and deliver them with quality.
    michelb76
  • Reply 5 of 22
    rob53 said:
    THIS is what I wanted from Apple's consumer monitor. Really the only thing it needs is a higher PD capability considering the MBP pull close to 100W at load.
    Not me. UHD resolution (3840x2160 or there snouts because of 16:9 screen), poor ppi resolution, as you say poor brightness, HDMI input? Why? Smart functions so a TV instead of a monitor. Probably cheap plastic shell without glass screen. This is yet another cheap 4K TV you’ll need to update through Samsung. No thanks. 
    Pros and cons to everything. At half the price for a larger screen, I'll be grabbing one.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 6 of 22
    The giant caveat per HDR: 400 nits is 200 nits below what is recommended. 
    netrox
  • Reply 7 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 4,312member
    Probably a decent and affordable option for some folks when paired with a lower cost M1 Mac mini. 
    ravnorodommuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 22
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,192member
    Some specs make no sense. HDR+ at 400 nits? I thought it has to be much higher nits to get HDR+ certification? 

    Also the 4K at 32" is actually not a great monitor if you enjoy high DPI viewing.. it's only 132dpi so you'd definitely see pixels. At least 200dpi is needed for crisp and clear rendering of pixels. 

    So, definitely won't buy it. 




    foregoneconclusionthtFileMakerFellerStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 22
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member
    THIS is what I wanted from Apple's consumer monitor. 
    You lucky bastard. That’s so great. Samesung gave you what you wanted, and Apple gave me what I wanted.  We’re both happy!!  Isn’t it great to have choice?!

    Really… I don’t get it. Why are all you people complaining that Apple doesn’t make a monitor like everyone else’s?  Apple’s whole point is they make different stuff to everyone else. It’s the same with everything…

    “Why can’t Apple make a cheap expandable tower — like PC’s?”

    ”Why can’t Apple make iOS more open, sideloading apps, etc. — like Android?”

    And now it’s “Why can’t Apple make a cheap low spec consumer monitor — like everyone else?” 

    The answer: Because 99% of Apple’s customers buy Apple stuff BECAUSE Apple does it differently to everyone else (not despite it). Why is that so hard to understand?

    Apple’s market share is small, because Apple’s target market - the people they are trying to cater to — is small.  Apple makes their products for, and targets, the people who want something more premium with different features and focus to what everyone else makes, and see the value in that, and are happy to pay for it. 

    Apple’s customers are the misfits. We’re the people that aren’t happy with the consequences of a more open mobile OS, computers made by pulling together off the shelf parts, and cheap low resolution/ppi, low brightness, plastic displays.  

    We want integrated packages that just work out of the box, work better because everything is integrated and specifically designed to work together, we don’t have to tinker with them. We don’t buy iPhones and iPads despite the closed OS we buy them BECAUSE of the closed OS. And we want a monitor that is retina resolution (at least 210-220 ppi), bright (no, 400nits is not bright enough), lightweight, premium build, a stand that isn’t wobbly and sticky and impossible to align, etc. etc.

    if you want Apple to make a consumer monitor like everyone else’s consumer monitor… WHY??  What’s the point?  You’ve got a million other choices in that market, what on earth can Apple or most of Apple’s customers possibly gain by Apple adding just another entry to that list? And how is that good for those of us who can’t stand all those other monitors that everyone else makes?

    I don’t get it.  I really don’t. 
    bbhforegoneconclusionchunkpylonFileMakerFellerbageljoeyStrangeDayslkruppscstrrf
  • Reply 10 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 3,508member
    It is definitely closer to what Apple should have made. I would prefer a different aspect ratio for productivity and resolution, higher power on the USBC port, and a brighter screen, but I suspect a lot of people will just read HDR and think it better than the Apple display in that respect, even though it clearly isn’t. That said, its contrast ratio at 3000:1 is nearly triple Apple’s according to the Ars review of the studio display.
    edited March 28
  • Reply 11 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,877member
    I have an M7 for working at home seems Ok in that context but every time I plug it in it does a strange handshake thing with the computer meaning it will it or won't work over usb-c as a monitor or screens will flash no and off on both the MacBook and the screen. After a while it comes good but it's not the seamless experience you'd expect. Lots of swinging the monitor in to different modes then coming back every time I think I've found the formula a few days later it a new combo is needed. Sure can Airplay to it but that doesn't do full res, also tried usb-c to HDMI cable but again lower image quality. 

    I wonder if they've improved that with the M8?

    Also worth noting the screen has no buttons and doesn't auto start if pluged in to a source like a USB-c cable. You are full dependant on the remote control very even basic functions. 
    edited March 28 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member
    rob53 said:
    THIS is what I wanted from Apple's consumer monitor. Really the only thing it needs is a higher PD capability considering the MBP pull close to 100W at load.
    Not me. UHD resolution (3840x2160 or there snouts because of 16:9 screen), poor ppi resolution, as you say poor brightness, HDMI input? Why? Smart functions so a TV instead of a monitor. Probably cheap plastic shell without glass screen. This is yet another cheap 4K TV you’ll need to update through Samsung. No thanks. 
    I don’t get the cheap plastic shell/glass complaints. It’s a monitor! It sits on your desk and that’s it. You don’t touch it (usually). I have a 32” Dell curved monitor on my desk. I’ve touched it maybe twice in a year. Once when I was setting it up, and again when I mounted my Logitech webcam on top. Haven’t touched it again since. It plugs into my CalDigit TS3+ dock, which plugs into my 14” MacBook Pro for desk duty. 

     Now, I can understand being obsessed with touch points on something like a laptop, phone or tablet. But a monitor?? Pfffffffffffffff.
    muthuk_vanalingamwarren21scstrrf
  • Reply 13 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,247member
    Detnator said:
    THIS is what I wanted from Apple's consumer monitor. 
    You lucky bastard. That’s so great. Samesung gave you what you wanted, and Apple gave me what I wanted.  We’re both happy!!  Isn’t it great to have choice?!

    Really… I don’t get it. Why are all you people complaining that Apple doesn’t make a monitor like everyone else’s?  Apple’s whole point is they make different stuff to everyone else. It’s the same with everything…

    “Why can’t Apple make a cheap expandable tower — like PC’s?”

    ”Why can’t Apple make iOS more open, sideloading apps, etc. — like Android?”

    And now it’s “Why can’t Apple make a cheap low spec consumer monitor — like everyone else?” 

    The answer: Because 99% of Apple’s customers buy Apple stuff BECAUSE Apple does it differently to everyone else (not despite it). Why is that so hard to understand?

    Apple’s market share is small, because Apple’s target market - the people they are trying to cater to — is small.  Apple makes their products for, and targets, the people who want something more premium with different features and focus to what everyone else makes, and see the value in that, and are happy to pay for it. 

    Apple’s customers are the misfits. We’re the people that aren’t happy with the consequences of a more open mobile OS, computers made by pulling together off the shelf parts, and cheap low resolution/ppi, low brightness, plastic displays.  

    We want integrated packages that just work out of the box, work better because everything is integrated and specifically designed to work together, we don’t have to tinker with them. We don’t buy iPhones and iPads despite the closed OS we buy them BECAUSE of the closed OS. And we want a monitor that is retina resolution (at least 210-220 ppi), bright (no, 400nits is not bright enough), lightweight, premium build, a stand that isn’t wobbly and sticky and impossible to align, etc. etc.

    if you want Apple to make a consumer monitor like everyone else’s consumer monitor… WHY??  What’s the point?  You’ve got a million other choices in that market, what on earth can Apple or most of Apple’s customers possibly gain by Apple adding just another entry to that list? And how is that good for those of us who can’t stand all those other monitors that everyone else makes?

    I don’t get it.  I really don’t. 
    You don't get why some people want more?  Reality called, it would like to get reacquainted.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 22
    5k please.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 401member
    aww they didn't copy the lack of ergonomics.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    crowley said: You don't get why some people want more?  Reality called, it would like to get reacquainted.
    They aren't getting more. People complained that the Studio Display didn't have 120 MHz (this doesn't either), didn't improve on iMac 5K display tech (this steps down to 4K), and didn't have HDR (this claims HDR without proper brightness spec for it). 
    edited March 29 StrangeDaysscstrrf
  • Reply 17 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,247member
    crowley said: You don't get why some people want more?  Reality called, it would like to get reacquainted.
    They aren't getting more. People complained that the Studio Display didn't have 120 MHz (this doesn't either), didn't improve on iMac 5K display tech (this steps down to 4K), and didn't have HDR (this claims HDR without proper brightness spec for it). 
    Exactly, people want more.  I haven't seen anyone say this Samsung display gives them everything.
    edited March 29
  • Reply 18 of 22
    crowley said: Exactly, people want more.  I haven't seen anyone say this Samsung display gives them everything.
    People may want more, but Apple isn't out of line with the rest of the market. 120/240 MHz + HDR = 2K monitor in today's market. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,247member
    crowley said: Exactly, people want more.  I haven't seen anyone say this Samsung display gives them everything.
    People may want more, but Apple isn't out of line with the rest of the market. 120/240 MHz + HDR = 2K monitor in today's market. 
    Maybe, but it's a trifle galling to see a Samsung display with built in AirPlay, while the Apple monitor does not.  Also stand alone video conferencing and HDMI input for greater flexibility.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,120member
    crowley said:
    crowley said: Exactly, people want more.  I haven't seen anyone say this Samsung display gives them everything.
    People may want more, but Apple isn't out of line with the rest of the market. 120/240 MHz + HDR = 2K monitor in today's market. 
    Maybe, but it's a trifle galling to see a Samsung display with built in AirPlay, while the Apple monitor does not.  Also stand alone video conferencing and HDMI input for greater flexibility.
    AirPlay on an Apple monitor used by Apple fans is utterly pointless since, you know, the Mac it’s connected to already has it. 

    Apple knows its market. It isn’t making generic PC equipment for generic PCs. And that’s 100% fine. Plenty of options for people who want cheap PC stuff, as the other poster nailed on the head. 
    foregoneconclusionscstrrf
Sign In or Register to comment.