Man arrested for tracking car by attaching Apple Watch to a wheel

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A man in Nashville, Tennessee has been arrested for tracking the location of his girlfriend, by attaching an Apple Watch to the vehicle and using a tracking app.

Lawrence Welch, 29, was arrested on Friday and charged with attaching an electronic tracking device to a vehicle, an affidavit states. In this instance, Welsh elected to use an Apple Watch for tracking, rather than using an AirTags.

Police arrived at a Family Safety Center in response to a call from security that the boyfriend of a victim had turned up, while an order of protection was being acquired. The victim had claimed threats to kill were made against her multiple times, reports WSMV4, and that she had attended the center in the past.

The victim told police that she and Welch had used Life360 to monitor each other's location, but that she turned off the app before visiting Family Safety Centers in the past. On such occasions, she was bombarded with texts demanding her to reveal her position, as well as asking her to call him back.

Police say that Welch did eventually arrive at the Family Service Center, but went to the victim's car and crouched by a wheel instead of approaching the building. Once officers reached the vehicle, they spotted an Apple Watch attached to the spokes, a device Welch confirmed was his.

It appears that, in order to get around the deactivation of the victim's Life360 app on their device, Welch instead kept his version active on the Apple Watch and relied on that to track her down.

The incident was a continuation of previous events from July 2021, with Welch facing a pair of domestic assault charges. He was later arrested in December over the events.

The use of the Apple Watch is unusual, as most stalking-related stories from late 2021 and early 2022 have revolved around AirTags. Despite having anti-stalking features that have saved some potential victims by alerting to its presence, it also has been the subject of multiple stories detailing attempts to stalk targets, as well as multiple complaints from critics.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Modern times. 
    hecalderFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 2 of 16
    He attached an Apple Watch to the spokes of one of the cars 4 wheels? Wouldn’t that feel obvious when driving by an unbalanced wheel - plus a good chance the Apple Watch would come flying off? 
    hecalderwilliamhjony0
  • Reply 3 of 16
    No need for Life360 or whatever.

Just put a cellular Apple Watch into the glove box or something and use Find My.

I think it’s time for regulators to ban Apple Watch and the whole Find My ecosystem.

But keep selling guns to anyone, of course.

/s 
    fred1ronndewmeJaiOh81AppleishFileMakerFellerapplguyjony0
  • Reply 4 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Apple enabling services at breakthrough prices. Something that once only a James Bond could access can now be used by a cuckholded husband!

serioyslt though, assisted speech tech went from about $20000 a pop on a monstrous windows tablet+ software to a thousand with the iPod touch and iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Set workout “other - open goal”?
    hammeroftruthFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple should enable the anti-stalking notifications that detect unusual AirTags for any and all Bluetooth devices.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    nadriel said:
    I wonder if he closed his rings that day. 
    dewmehammeroftruthFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Apparently not everyone reads the complete story, assuming that she drove around with the watch attached to the wheel spoke. They saw him crouched by the vehicle already at the family center and the police spotted the watch on the apple he had just attached. He confessed it was his. That is how he got arrested and held while they got the restraining order against him. Always read please. Just your typical domestic case That we see every day, so sad for the victims. Good thing they saw him but I am sure he is going to get released and back at it again until he hurts or kills his victim 
    williamhsconosciutoJaiOh81jony0
  • Reply 9 of 16
    nadriel said:
    I wonder if he closed his rings that day. 
    That is one way to win a bunch of awards in the fitness app. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Why is society so intent upon blaming technology, for the actions of an individual?  This is the actions, of an individual, who made the decision to track another human illegally, with intent to harass or intimidate.  Whether he used an Apple device, or an Android device, or any other electronic means of doing so - really doesn't matter.

The individual decided to force his will upon an unwilling victim.  Do we blame Black and Decker when I smash my thumb, because I can't hit a nail?  Do we blame Budweiser, if some idiot drinks too much?  How about we blame the individual?
    JaiOh81ravnorodomhecalder
  • Reply 11 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    hodar said:
    Why is society so intent upon blaming technology, for the actions of an individual?  This is the actions, of an individual, who made the decision to track another human illegally, with intent to harass or intimidate.  Whether he used an Apple device, or an Android device, or any other electronic means of doing so - really doesn't matter.

The individual decided to force his will upon an unwilling victim.  Do we blame Black and Decker when I smash my thumb, because I can't hit a nail?  Do we blame Budweiser, if some idiot drinks too much?  How about we blame the individual?
    I doubt the Apple Watch will get a police caution or a restraining order.  The blame is clearly being put on the dude.
    sconosciutomuthuk_vanalingamdewmeravnorodomhecalderronnjony0
  • Reply 12 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I can think of a bunch of better places to put this on the car than on the wheel.  Guy is obviously not so bright, as his various actions indicate.  
    edited March 2022 jony0
  • Reply 13 of 16
    etiquette said:
    I think it’s time for regulators to ban Apple Watch and the whole Find My ecosystem.
    But keep selling guns to anyone, of course.
    /s 
    Sounds like she might have a use for one, though. This guy sounds like a certifiable loon. Dangerous, too.
    jony0
  • Reply 15 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    If you’re tracking each other consensually, but one party turns off their tracking periodically, then you’ve already got issues. 

If her story is true, then their relationship was already in worse trouble than her stepping out on him. 

Kill threats? Sheesh. 
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 16 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    chadbag said:
    I can think of a bunch of better places to put this on the car than on the wheel.  Guy is obviously not so bright, as his various actions indicate.  
    Ya think?? OF COURSE the guys got real problems. But it doesn't seem he had a lot of time to attach the watch, given that he was seen by the police. He was probably trying to be quick and dirty about it. I hope the woman gets out of this alive. A TRO does very little to stop a nut job.