Apple TV+ original film 'CODA' wins Best Picture at the 2022 Oscars

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Japhey said:
    wood1208 said:
    Congrats Apple. Those who watched CODA say worth watching movie and after Warner Bros(7), Disney(6), Apple(3) is 3rd most award winner at Oscar. But all these great things over shadowed by on stage slap by Will Smith who made public humiliation of prestigious Oscar event.
    Respectfully, I disagree. The whole Will Smith fiasco was the only real, true, and honest thing that happened all night. The rest of the event was cringy, uncomfortable, forced, fake, and awkward. Just so completely contrived that I was embarrassed for Hollywood. Will Smith saved that show, he only embarrassed himself. 
    The culmination of western freedom, democracy, and human rights?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 697member
    Good. Greedy lackluster Netflix sucks.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Japhey said:
    wood1208 said:
    Congrats Apple. Those who watched CODA say worth watching movie and after Warner Bros(7), Disney(6), Apple(3) is 3rd most award winner at Oscar. But all these great things over shadowed by on stage slap by Will Smith who made public humiliation of prestigious Oscar event.
    Respectfully, I disagree. The whole Will Smith fiasco was the only real, true, and honest thing that happened all night. The rest of the event was cringy, uncomfortable, forced, fake, and awkward. Just so completely contrived that I was embarrassed for Hollywood. Will Smith saved that show, he only embarrassed himself. 
      :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 

Possibly the most incredible shoehorn I've ever seen.
    tmayhcrefugeeentropysronn
  • Reply 24 of 30
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,620member
    People are sure beating up on me today. And people are even beating up on me for defending myself. All because I said "the article should have mentioned Netflix." And I'm even more surprised that Crowley hasn't been beating up on me at all, which he almost always does. I was kinda looking forward to that. I'd like to know what he thinks about my original post.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member
    wood1208 said:
    Japhey said:
    wood1208 said:

In such public event, your action demonstrates your real character. Self control,tolerance is most important aspect than violence on stage. In fact, I admire Chris for him keeping cool and continue behaving like the good host do.
    Absolutely. I agree with everything you’re saying here, yet I still stand by what I said in the last post. One’s actions determine one’s character…right or wrong. Sure. But whether Smith’s actions were wrong or not (they were) is besides my point, which is that it was the ONLY moment of pure honesty all night. That he embarrassed himself is impossible to argue. Whether he embarrassed the Oscars, however, is another topic entirely. This once proud ceremony has been battling a disinterested audience and yearly record decreases in viewership numbers for a decade. So, in order to somehow reverse those trends, they decide to put the fake and awkward on steroids. And it wasn’t working. In fact, I would argue that Will Smith SAVED the show last night. How many people weren’t even watching it until their phones started lighting up with News and Twitter notifications? I personally know of at least 10, and I imagine everyone else here does too. 

So, yes, he embarrassed himself with his actions. But he also saved the show with them. At least for last night. 
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 30
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member
    Japhey said:
    wood1208 said:
    🤣

🫡

👍
  • Reply 27 of 30
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    wood1208 said:

Will Smith being a mangina for Jada helped Apple because of the news and notifications people also learned about CODA by proxy. I got a News+ notification that said “CODA wins best picture and Will Smith alps Chris Rock” (paraphrase).

a meme I made:

• Reply 28 of 30
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,075member
    Japhey said:
    wood1208 said:
    That's about be par for the course for the Oscars (and Grammy's and Emmy's) for at least the last tens years and probably more.

And don't be embarrassed for Hollywood. To paraphrase Simon telling Melvin, in the movie "As Good as It Gets" .....

The best thing Hollywood have going for themselves is their willingness to humiliate themselves.

All in all, this Oscars will still not be as entertaining as the one (2017) when La La Land was incorrectly announced as the winner for Best Picture and all involve in the movie got up on stage and began giving their acceptance speech (while holding their statues), when the Academy stepped in and had to take it away. That's Oscars entrainment.

To top that one, Will Smith would need to be "White" at the very least and better yet if Chris Rock was member of the "LGBTQ2" community. If that were the case, we'll be breaking out the popcorn for weeks after the Oscars. 

• Reply 29 of 30
    davidw said:
    Japhey said:
    wood1208 said:
    That's about be par for the course for the Oscars (and Grammy's and Emmy's) for at least the last tens years and probably more.

And don't be embarrassed for Hollywood. To paraphrase Simon telling Melvin, in the movie "As Good as It Gets" .....

The best thing Hollywood have going for themselves is their willingness to humiliate themselves

All in all, this Oscars will still not be as entertaining as the one (2017) when La La Land was incorrectly announced as the winner for Best Picture and all involve in the movie got up on stage and began giving their acceptance speech (while holding their statues), when the Academy stepped in and had to take it away. That's Oscars entrainment.

To top that one, Will Smith would need to be "White" at the very least and better yet if Chris Rock was member of the "LGBTQ2" community. If that were the case, we'll be breaking out the popcorn for weeks after the Oscars. 

Oscar nomination is a humiliating word. LOL
  • Reply 30 of 30
    XedXed Posts: 2,685member
    Japhey said:
    In related news, Netflix got a Best Director Oscar. Another win for streaming companies. This article should have mentioned Netflix.
    Why?
    Because it is significant that Apple beat Netflix this year for the Best Picture Oscar. Netflix is a direct competitor in the streaming wars. How is that not relevant to Apple? Do you really think AppleInsider can't talk about Microsoft's Game Pass, or anything else that competes with equivalent Apple's services? But we see articles about Apple's competitors all the time.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/18/microsoft-acquiring-activision-blizzard-in-687b-gaming-deal <-- for example

I just noticed that you posted four messages on the above article, even though it has nothing to do with Apple. How do you explain this contradiction in your behaviour?
    Best picture means they beat everyone. If you think that mentioning Netflix’s expensive, subpar films is a requirement because they’re also a streaming service then why stop with just Netflix and not also name the other 20+ services that didn’t win Best Picture?